PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Getting maps from Royal Thai Survey Department
    Thanks

Getting maps from Royal Thai Survey Department

I would very much like to visit the Royal Thai Survey Department to purchase some maps, but I speak no Thai and I could not find an English-speaking area on their website:

So, I am hoping someone could surf over to the website (http://www.rtsd.mi.th/) and look for an English language section, then let me know how to find it.

Also, if anyone knows the easiest way to get there from the Nana BTS stop any help with that would be welcome. The address (as shown on the website- something tells me this CAN'T a complete address) is: Kalayanamaitri Rd. Bangkok 10200 Thailand

Frankly, though I have high hopes and a cheery attitude, I am very afraid it will prove impossible to figure this out on my own- if anyone has a few spare moments to help me develop a relatively foolproof plan I would be most grateful! Furthermore, I am so very interested and motivated to buy maps, that I would gladly pay 20 USD (or equivalent in baht) for an on-the-ground English/Thai-speaking guide to help me 1. get in the door there 2. select and purchase a few topographic maps of the Ao Nang/Krabi area, as well as any other appealing materials they might have.

I will be in Bangkok from the afternoon of May 29 through the morning May 31 (very near Nana BTS station), and then from the afternoon of June 6 until the afternoon of June 9 (very near Sala Daeng BTS station).
    Last edited by spoonhull; 26-05-06 at 04:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I love buying maps so I probably could help you here. As visitors to my home know, I have a two metre high map of Thailand in my living room!

Certain areas of Thailand actually do have some good maps. Not sure about Krabi area though. These folded maps, with a green cover, can be bought in branches of DK Bookhouse. Not sure where that is in Bangkok but we have a large branch in the basement of Seacon Square mall (bus 145 from Bangkok).

Do you have Lonely Planet? I don't have the latest edition at my desk here but I do remember reading in an older edition how to buy good maps from (I think) the Royal Thai Survey Department. If they haven't moved, you will find them not far from the Grand Palace. I think I parked my car near the City Pillar and walked. You will see a big building there with guns on the front lawn. The place you want is behind that building.

Let me know if you don't have Lonely Planet and I will check my copy for more details tonight.

Thanks
    Richard,

I don't have Lonely Planet, so yes, any further location details would be very welcome! Looks like I could Skytrain my way to Victory Monument, then ask around- I've printed the name and address in Thai- but my greatest difficulty will probably be linguistic. I hope if I can get in the door, someone will understand me, eventually. I have an index map of the map series I mainly want, so that should help.

I'm looking into the DK Bookhouse possibilities, too.

Thanks very much!

Thanks

Re: Getting maps from Royal Thai Survey Department

Sorry to be so late in responding to this - just ran across the questions about RTSD.

The address you have is correct - kalayanamaitri is basically a one block road pretty much occupied by the Royal Thai Survey Department (and a separate smaller compound with a different government agency). I had an office there at RTSD roughly 2000-2003. Its not really anywhere near Victory Monument or any BTS or underground station. Closest is probably the train station in that part of town. If mass transit is your thing, take the BTS down to the river (ChaoPhraya), take a river taxi up to the Grand Palace (Wat Phra Kaew) and walk from there.

I see that there was some renovation going on on the RTSD site in 2006 so precise locations may have changed since I was there. They certainly do have a public sale desk and the staff was, when I was there, keen to help. I spoke only rudimentary Thai but the staff could guide me through their process - the key thing is to see an index of the map series that you're interested in.

The site is near the Grand Palace. In my experience, few people in that neighborhood knew of the existence of RTSD so asking on the street doesn't work well. Even taxi drivers rarely know that location or that road name. If they have moved back into their original compound (after the renovation), the entrance is a narrow driveway through a small arch with security guards on Thanon Kalayanamaitri midway between Grand Palace and the klong.

For best directions (and especially if they have not returned to that site), call the phone number on the website. They usually have an English speaker in their front office. You could also correspond by snail mail (Royal Thai Survey Department, Thanon Kalayana Maitri, Pranakorn, Bangkok, Thailand 10200). I'm not aware of a public enquiry email address.

(Richard - the building you mentioned with the cannon in front is the old Ministry of Defense building. Did you actually go in, there? It was boarded up in my day but a reasonable candidate for RTSD to move their HQ offices to during renovations.)

Sorry to not have truly current information. I'm retired and a bit out of the loop these days.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n8nnxpa View Post
    Richard - the building you mentioned with the cannon in front is the old Ministry of Defense building. Did you actually go in, there? It was boarded up in my day but a reasonable candidate for RTSD to move their HQ offices to during renovations.
    At the time of the post, I couldn't remember the name of that building. But yes, it is the Ministry of Defense. And no, I didn't go in that building. If I remember right, there is a small soi on the left after the building (with your back to Sanam Luang). Their office was down there somewhere! DK is also good with some detailed maps of certain areas of Thailand.

Thanks

Richard - where did you get such a large map for your living room? I want to get a large map of Bangkok/Nonthaburi that would cover as much of a wall as possible but have no idea where to get it from or how to do it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The best and easiest place is the book fair at Queen Sirikit. There are a couple of stalls there selling large wall mounted maps. The next book fair is in March. They will deliver to your house.

Thread Information