PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
?'s about the thai letters
    Summer Guest
    After learning the thai alphabet, what else do I need to know that is connected to the letters? If you don't mind, Can someone please show me how the vowels are written and pronounced. I only saw the letters in this site, but not the vowels. I don't know what else I need to know in able to make a word or a sentence. I'm so excited about learning how to write in thai. I can't wait until i know how to read and write it. Thank you so much!

Thanks

so happy!

Hi Summer;

This is the page for the Thai vowels.

http://www.learningthai.com/vowels.html

Good luck krub.

Bill

Thanks
    We have just started a new course for people wanting to learn to read Thai. This is free to use:

http://www.learningthai.com/books/manee

Summer Guest

talking

Thank you so much Bill and Sawatdee for giving me all the information I needed. I fully appreciate that. You guys are the best. Now I am going to learn how to put my alphabet and vowels together. I love this site. I always wanted to learn how to read, write, and speak thai. I can understand a little bit of thai language, but I sometime get stuck in between the sentence when people are talking (like in the thai lakorn). Thanks to everyone who put this site together. Again thanks to Bill and Sawatdee for helping me out.

Coup khon mauk kaa!!!

Thanks
    Dear Summer,

Learning the vowels are very important. Especially when reading a sign in English. If you read it in English only, you will probably mispronoune the words. You will need to know the Thai vowels to pronounce the words accurately in English.
    I am still working on the Thai alphabet and vowels myself.
    All the best.

Thanks
    Dear Sawatdee,
    Just a comment. Wouldn't it be easier if the tone marks remained the same for all words. For example, if the word has a falling tone, always use a falling tone mark. Then we Westerners wouldn't have to memorize all the high class, middle class, and low class consonants. I think it would also be easier for the Thai children to learn to. What do you think?

Mori Guest
    If every low tone needed a low tone mark, you would have to write a tone mark for every single syllable (well, 80% of them, if you have no mark for middle tone). And since the tone marks are so small, it would be quite difficult to read. With the current system, usually it's enough to recognise the initial consonant.

The Thai writing system is slower to learn than English, but it's cleverly designed for reading and writing the Thai language...

Thread Information