PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
best thai language book
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Any advice on the best book to buy for learningThai?

Thanks
    The bestseller at both amazon.com and our own thaihypermarket.com is "Thai for Beginners" by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. In fact, we sell so many of her books that the publisher delivers to our school every week. If we are suddenly out of stock they even send someone over the same day!

Thai Language books at amazon.com
    Thai language books at thaihypermarket.com
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Khortote Guest
    I second Nattawud's recommendation. Mrs. Becker has a pleasant and interesting style whilst covering a surprising amount of ground. I have stages 2 and 3of her course; her books came on the market after I had already learned the basics.
    You must get the tapes with each volume; trying to learn Thai from only the printed word is a waste of time and effort.
    Regards, M.

Reflex Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Khortote @ Sep. 30 2002,06:32)] You must get the tapes with each volume; trying to learn Thai from only the printed word is a waste of time and effort.
    Regards, M.
    I don't think it's a complete waste of time, it depends what level you are at. I can understand more or less everything in Thai due to being half caste. I wanted to learn to read and write mostly and this book (without the tapes) has taught me to do so. It is written in a way that you can learn to pronounce the words correctly as Thai is a very phoenetic language. For those that want to learn to listen and speak then the tapes will probably come in handy.

Although rather expensive, I can recommend the Rosetta Stone language course.
    Rossetta Stone Thai

arsira Guest
    i personally had had 11 thai phrase book 3 dict all from different author.some are thai-eng,thai-chiense,thai -canto which make it more easy for me as some explaination in eng may not be the same in chinese vice verse.i suggest getting book with cd instead of tape because as days goes by the pronounce in tape will be had to listen or not clear due to mould/fangus. some like lonely planet had add extra on thai slang/pasa weiroon(teenage lang) some likemaking out in thai by john clewley teach all about thai slang from swearing to romantic words.some are very standard format by colloquial thai with cassettes while some just teach you how to increase thai word nouns and verbs power.

Thanks
    How do I know what Thai language book is accurate concerning the vowel sounds? I have looked at several books.
    The vowels sounds range from 28 to 34. One book even says that there are vovels sounds that are mixed with a consonant. If the language experts can't agree on Thai vowels what hope is there for me to understand them. In the English language everyone can tell you the exact number of vowels. What is the problem with the Thai language? Why can't they agree? Anyway, what is the best book for Thai vowels?

Thanks
    In my opinion, the Thai Language books by Benjawan Poomsan Becker are excellent. They teach reading, writing, and speaking Thai Language in an easy to understand way. I would like to add that her "Thai for Beginners" is also now available with CD's as well as tapes.
    ความพยายามอยู่ที่ไหน ความสำเร็จอยู่ที่นั่น

Thanks

talking

Quote[/b] (Ivor @ July 25 2003,01:12)]In my opinion, the Thai Language books by Benjawan Poomsan Becker are excellent. They teach reading, writing, and speaking Thai Language in an easy to understand way. I would like to add that her "Thai for Beginners" is also now available with CD's as well as tapes.
    I have both the tapes and the books for her Intermediate and Advanced Thai. I agree that they are both the best available.

I have a minidisc player and this has proved invaluable. I have trasferred both tapes to minidisc. This is even better than CD because I can break the senteces down to short pieces and instantly replay them over and over again until I am well practiced.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] (jemsmits @ Oct. 17 2002,18:54)]Although rather expensive, I can recommend the Rosetta Stone language course.
    Rossetta Stone Thai
    Has anyone tried the Online version of Rosetta Stone. You can have 3 months for $47. ? I would like to try it but would like some information from anyone who has tried it.

Thread Information