PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Insurance - Laptop/Camera etc?
    Thanks

Insurance - Laptop/Camera etc?

I've decided to move over to Thailand for some time (min 1 year). I've got pretty much everything sorted, appart from my insurance. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll be bringing a laptop and camera, but nothing else of real value... I've looked at annual multi-trip policies, but they state a maximum per trip duration of 90 days.

I've never had to claim before, but presumably they may ask for flight details, and if I'm past the 90 days that might invalidate my claim?

Can anyone suggest or recommend a good company, or policy type I should look at.

Oh, I'm from the UK, I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

I really do not understand what claim you are filing??

I've never had to claim before, but presumably they may ask for flight details, and if I'm past the 90 days that might invalidate my claim?
    And if you haven't left yet, why the claim, and if your laptop and cam will be carryon, then why do you need ins.??

I have flown all over the world for the last half century and have never had a thing go missing that didn't turn up the next day. But then I never have had to much checked stuff.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    And if you haven't left yet, why the claim, and if your laptop and cam will be carryon, then why do you need ins.??

I have flown all over the world for the last half century and have never had a thing go missing that didn't turn up the next day. But then I never have had to much checked stuff.
    Thanks for your reply, but I don't think you understand my question.

I'm going to be in Thailand for 1 year +. I need insurance while I'm there. The insurance is nothing to do with the flight itself.

Thanks
    So then what you are saying is that you need personal property theft ins. while in Thailand?? For a laptop and a digital camera??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    So then what you are saying is that you need personal property theft ins. while in Thailand?? For a laptop and a digital camera??
    Yep, that's the one!

I've not been able to find anything suitable though, especially as I will have no fixed abode to begin with, atleast until I've found an apartment I'm happy with etc.

Any recommendations where to look?

Thanks.

Thanks

Don't know,

Never heard of personal property theft ins. here..I really don't think they have it, but I will ask my wife when she returns from visiting her father.

But I have been here 6 years and have always had computers, cams and the like and most times never lock the doors when i am gone and have never heard of anything being stolen, and all the folks in th village know that we have a house full of laptops, 3 desk tops and a lot of stuff that they don't have, but I have always felt safe here.
    And I have lived in Chiang Mai, San sai and now Phetchabun prov. in Nangua.

Thanks
    OK, thanks.

I guess I'm just worrying about little things... to start with I'll be staying in short term lease serviced apartments or guest houses until I've got things sorted, in Bangkok. I was just thinking how it would be a bit of a nightmare if the worst were to happen etc.

I know it definitely feels safer in villages, I wasn't the slightest bit concerned when I left my things on the balcony area outside my girlfriends house etc. but BKK feels a lot less safe...

Thanks
    OK, I asked my wife and she never heard of just theft ins. only if you have car or house ins.
    I would not be to worried, but might not feel that leaving stuff in a guest house is to smart, but most of them are honest too.

Thread Information