PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Why can't take photo ?
    Thanks

Why can't take photo ?

I read from a website stated that visitors not allowed to take photo of Wat Phra Keow. May I know why is that so ?

Thanks
    you can take photos of the wat itself on the outside, and anywhere in the compound, but not of the Emerald Buddha image or, more exactly, inside the temple housing the image. a Thai friend told me that they prohibited taking photos inside because they want visitors to be more respectful, go there to pray or meditate, and not just click cameras or pose for pix - that would simply be a mess in the most sacred place in Thailand.
    there are very good CDs with hundreds of photos of the temples and the palaces on sale in the shop at the entrance, they were just 50 baht each 2 years ago, and included photos of the Buddha image close up as well. better than postcards.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Betti
    you can take photos of the wat itself on the outside, and anywhere in the compound, but not of the Emerald Buddha image or, more exactly, inside the temple housing the image. a Thai friend told me that they prohibited taking photos inside because they want visitors to be more respectful, go there to pray or meditate, and not just click cameras or pose for pix - that would simply be a mess in the most sacred place in Thailand.
    there are very good CDs with hundreds of photos of the temples and the palaces on sale in the shop at the entrance, they were just 50 baht each 2 years ago, and included photos of the Buddha image close up as well. better than postcards.
    Thanks for the explaination. Now I understand the reason. Since the restriction is only on the Buddha statue. I suppose this restriction also applies to any others temple as well and not particularly on Wat Phra Keow only. Am I right ?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Depends a lot on the temple. A few months back I saw one that said "no photos". Another one said you could take photos but had to sit down to take them. Just need to keep your eyes open and be respectful at all times.

Thanks
    You should also be thoughtful when you want to take pictures of monks, especially inside the temples. I don't know if there's a general rule - but if I remember correctly it's not polite to take pictures of praying people/monks. The best is if you ask first; some monks even love to have their pictures taken, some don't like it at all...
    life is wonderful!

Thanks
    The taking of pictures is also not allowed at Wat Phra Si Ratana Mahathat in Phitsanoluk. This wat holds the second holiest Buddha, Phra Buddha Chinnarat, in the kingdom.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Actually, that is the temple which asks you to sit down when taking pictures.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Actually, that is the temple which asks you to sit down when taking pictures.
    Hi Richard,

The last time I was there in February there was a sign outside that asked you not to take pictures within the temple. It couldn't have been there in September of 2003, the previous time I was there, as I did take pictures within the temple that trip.
    Last edited by Peterg; 17-06-06 at 01:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    They must have changed their mind then. I was there in April 2006. There was probably too many complaints not only from Thai people who wanted their picture taken in front of this important image, but also the many tour buses with foreigners that pass through.

Thanks
    Well when I went to this temple, my Thai girlfriend said you not allowed to take a photo inside the temple, but when I was inside, I saw some one else taking video photo's inside, so I decided to take my own photo any way.

Thread Information