PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Training/Traveling Chiang Mai for a Year
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Training/Traveling Chiang Mai for a Year

Hello.

I’ve wanted to go to Thailand for a little while to train in Muay Thai and learn about culture, sample the Thai life/food/culture, etc.

I’ve been doing a little research (some on the internet) and been reading Lonely Planet’s guide to Thailand.

I’ve decided I want to go to Chiang Mai for my visit. I plan to stay for a year, though of course, I am not set on a full year. You never know when shit might happen…

So here’s what you’re asking… why am I here?

Well…

1) I want to find some cheap airfare tickets. Using expedia (or was it orbit?) I found tickets for $ 555. Was hoping someone would know of cheaper prices… Anyone? I’d like to leave February 1st 2007.
    2) Approximately how much money is good for a full year? I work a $ 10 an hour job with an average of 35 hours a week. If I save really hard, I figure I can accumulate $ 11,200 (before taxes). Minus airfare and training costs for a year.
    3) As a white Nordic guy, do I need to worry about anything? I’m 6’ 2” 227 pounds (at the moment), light skinned and blonde hair/blue eyed. LP (Lonely Planet) says discrimination is rare in Thailand, but I’m still curious.
    4) I might bring a female friend with me. She’s 4’ 11”, normal weight (or at least whatever her weight is, it fits her), and light skinned with brown hair/eyes. Anything in particular I should do/bring/event/whatever to make her stay more enjoyable?
    5) What can I bring for the Thai people? You know… souvenirs from the US. T-Shirts? Beers? Ciggs?

I have more questions, but since this post is really getting long, I’m gonna end it here.

Thanks!

Jason

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I am curious why you chose Chiang Mai as a location to train. Fairtex is one of the biggest names in muay thai training and they have branches in Samut Prakan and Pattaya. They cater for foreigners.

Difficult to know how much you would need for a whole year without knowing your habits. If you crave Western things and daily beer then your budget will have to double. The minimum wage for Thai workers is 175-200 baht per day. So, best to call that 500 baht per day to play safe. If you are stying in a guesthouse then you need to add another 500 baht at least per day. However, long term would cost you anything from 4,000 baht per month to 40,000 baht. This depends on location and type of place you want.

If you are doing a muay thai course at Fairtex, you will see on their website that the costs includes a place to stay and meals.

Your height coupled with fair hair and blue eyes will make you stand out a mile. Thais would be curious about you but they won't discriminate in a racist manner.

It is nice of you to think about bringing gifts. However, t-shirts, beers and cigarettes are all available here cheaper than your country. If you want to bring gifts then try and think of something that is a souvenir of your country. For Americans, bring a model of the Statue of Liberty. For Australians, bring a toy kangaroo. Postcards and pictures of your local area and family are always good icebreakers when meeting Thai people. Practical gifts like keyrings or pens can be handed out to people you befriend on train trips etc.

Thanks
    ## FiP - you know full well this subject is not allowed in public forums. I have deleted the first part of your reply. ##

And if you really want Fighting instructions,,try U.F. thats the real fighting, compared to Ultimate Fighting, Thai kick boxing is for girls, fact one of the champs is a Katoey.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I am curious why you chose Chiang Mai as a location to train. Fairtex is one of the biggest names in muay thai training and they have branches in Samut Prakan and Pattaya. They cater for foreigners.
    Because I think Fairtex is overrated. Besides, I want to train in a camp where they may not take to liking a Westerner so much. I want to go "up" the hard way. Hmmm does this make sense?

Also Chiang Mai has a lot of wilderness around, so I can do other things. I'll research into Bangkok though; see if there are more activities I'd rather do there.

Difficult to know how much you would need for a whole year without knowing your habits. If you crave Western things and daily beer then your budget will have to double. The minimum wage for Thai workers is 175-200 baht per day. So, best to call that 500 baht per day to play safe. If you are stying in a guesthouse then you need to add another 500 baht at least per day. However, long term would cost you anything from 4,000 baht per month to 40,000 baht. This depends on location and type of place you want.
    Hmmm, I don't really crave Western things (I'm assuming you mean merchandise?) but I would enjoy having the occasional social beer drinking.

I'm hoping to find a camp with housing in it, but of course I'm prepared to find other sources of housing.

Your height coupled with fair hair and blue eyes will make you stand out a mile. Thais would be curious about you but they won't discriminate in a racist manner.
    I didn't think they'd discriminate, but just wanted to be sure. What should I expect from the Thai's curiosity?

It is nice of you to think about bringing gifts. However, t-shirts, beers and cigarettes are all available here cheaper than your country. If you want to bring gifts then try and think of something that is a souvenir of your country. For Americans, bring a model of the Statue of Liberty. For Australians, bring a toy kangaroo. Postcards and pictures of your local area and family are always good icebreakers when meeting Thai people. Practical gifts like keyrings or pens can be handed out to people you befriend on train trips etc.
    Okay. I guess I'll grab a bunch of post cards of the Golden Gate, Alcatraz, ummm, stuff like that. I can grab a bunch of pretty nice pens at CostCo, so that's definitely a go.

Thanks for the help Richard!

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    And if you really want Fighting instructions,,try U.F. thats the real fighting, compared to Ultimate Fighting, Thai kick boxing is for girls, fact one of the champs is a Katoey.
    By "U.F." I assume you mean Ultimate Fighter? Yeah, actually that's why I want to take Muay Thai. I've been training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but want to do some Muay Thai (and travel the country it came from too). I will go to Brazil next for the BJJ part.

I figure once I get the individual components down well, I can go to a top notch training camp that will help me blend all those components together.

Make sense?

Thanks for the replies! Looking forward to hearing more!

Jason

Thanks
    Reply has been edited:

## this subject is not allowed on the public forums ##

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    To crave Western things is not just for a certain standard of living but also types of food. Anything from the West will cost you a lot more.

For myself, when I first came here, I got a lot of people stroking the hairs on my arms and stuff like that. Their curisosity is almost childlike. Basically harmless.

Thanks
    seems like now tho there is some farangs almost everywhere you go so does kind of take the edge off their curiosity some, cept for the little kids, they still stare and are afraid of us..
    I can't figure why they are everywhere unless it is because that they have married the things we can not talk about and moved to their home towns.

Richard,,I am glad that you removed all referance to the unmentionables as it makes it easier to answer some inquiries..555
    I try to stay inbounds but seems like I still wander away sometimes,,sorry

Thanks
    Jason, I watched UFC today and Arlovski ate Eilers lunch in the first round.
    I think if I was in the octogon when that Arlovski entered, I would climb out and immediately search for a career change. That man is just pure DANGEROUS. and you are about the right weight class to meet him someday, I think that my main training would be RUNNING. 5555

Thanks
    expensive "Western things" include dairy products, chocolate, apples, bread, cakes or other bakery stuff, potatoes, pizzas, sandwiches.... so pratically everything if you cannot survive on local fried rice, noodles, curries, oversweetened AND salted local snacks, and fried veg 24/7. it really depends on your preferences, and after a few months, on whether your stomach can adapt (I used to love Thai food, but my stomach gave up after about 4 months, now I cannot even stand the stronger smells and the thought of fish sauce, which is poured on every food you can imagine, makes me sick). but even with these "indulgences", you can easily make ends meet out of 15,000, I would say.

Thanks
    To crave Western things is not just for a certain standard of living but also types of food. Anything from the West will cost you a lot more.

For myself, when I first came here, I got a lot of people stroking the hairs on my arms and stuff like that. Their curisosity is almost childlike. Basically harmless.
    I see. I'm extremly Nordic, so any hair I do have is blonde and hard to see. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    Jason, I watched UFC today and Arlovski ate Eilers lunch in the first round.
    I think if I was in the octogon when that Arlovski entered, I would climb out and immediately search for a career change. That man is just pure DANGEROUS. and you are about the right weight class to meet him someday, I think that my main training would be RUNNING. 5555
    Ha ha. Yeah, he is an awesome dude... fearsome too. But honestly, you and I see this "problem" differently. You see it as something to run from, while I see it as something that needs to be "fixed". I gotta stay in and figure it out. I dunno, it's hard to explain.

I have an odd attitude, and that attitude is, "I'll die before I quit", and "I could do better". I have come close to dying once.... but still I persist. I dunno why I have that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Betti
    expensive "Western things" include dairy products, chocolate, apples, bread, cakes or other bakery stuff, potatoes, pizzas, sandwiches.... so pratically everything if you cannot survive on local fried rice, noodles, curries, oversweetened AND salted local snacks, and fried veg 24/7. it really depends on your preferences, and after a few months, on whether your stomach can adapt (I used to love Thai food, but my stomach gave up after about 4 months, now I cannot even stand the stronger smells and the thought of fish sauce, which is poured on every food you can imagine, makes me sick). but even with these "indulgences", you can easily make ends meet out of 15,000, I would say.
    Ahhhh okay. Thanks for the expliation. Mmmm I can do without those things. Well at least for a few months (when I'm dieting).

Thanks for the replies!

Now I got some more questions...

Does anyone know of a good muay thai camp in BKK or Chiang Mai that provides housing (it doesn't need to be fancy. I am an avid backpacker. I've lived life on the rough edge), and those 2 meals a day?

I got several camps bookmarked, I just don't know what to look for...

And another thing... I'm hearing impared. So is my friend that will be coming with me. Is this gonna be a bad thing? A taboo? Will I need to bring my own hearing aid batteries and stuff?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks!

Thread Information