PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Passport and visa problems URGENT
    Thanks

panic Passport and visa problems URGENT

OK so I started my new school, they told me not to worry about my work permit it would be sorted by them.
    What they did not say however was to goto immigration and cancel my old work permit on my passport. Now the local city hall and immigration will not issue me a new visa. The school paid my overstay fine of 20000B, thankfully, but now it looks like I have to goto Laos to get a new Non-B.
    My passport however runs out on 17 Jan 2007, this leaves just under 7 months, or just over 6 months more importantly.
    I have a 15 day extension on my passport and after that I can get another 7 days.
    What should I do first goto Laos and get my Non-B or apply for a new passport. I'm really confused and any advice would be great.
    I was hoping to get all the visa issues out of the way and then get my new passport but it is all going very pear-shaped
    I know I have 15 days valid (well less now 3-July is deadline and 17-July leaves me 6 months on my passport) will the agency issue me a passport if my visa is just about to run out or are there mitigating circumstances for ongoing applications

Thanks
    If I were you I don't think I would be fooling around on a forum where most members do not even live in Thailand and the ones that do have most stuff well in hand, unless I just wanted to pass time and have something to read.

I would go to an Immigration lawyer to get it sorted out as it just seems to important an issue to leave to advice from "jail house" lawyers.

Thanks
    I'd take care of the new passport business first. If you tell the embassy it's urgent they may well understand. The UK embassy actually managed to issue mine in two days the last time.

How the heck did you manage to secure a 20,000 baht overstay!?! and your school paid it for you - Pretty darned lucky!

Don't get another maximum 20,000 baht overstay fine, the authorities may be lenient the first time round but more than once and you could be barred from ever applying for a work permit again.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I would get your new passport sorted first. Because if you have the non-immigrant stamped on your soon-to-expire passport you will have to then do more paperwork to get everything transferred to the new passport. It all depends on which deadline is closer!

20,000 is a big fine for overstay. How did that happen? I don't know your circumstances, but your old school should have cancelled your work permit which then gives you 2 weeks exactly to find a new job or leave the country. If, for some reason, I suddenly left my school I would be in the same boat even though I have been here for 12 years. Immigration will only give me two weeks to get another job.

Sounds like you went over that deadline? If not, your school could have done the paperwork for you (with a bit of bribing). Officially, if you have a normal tourist visa you cannot change this to a non-immigrant inside the country. But, if you know someone who knows someone then it is possible. We have done it at our school.

Thanks
    Well I got the overstay because I have never changed jobs in Thailand and my old school did not tell me to do anything when I asked about my work permit when it ended, my new school told me not to worry about it they would sort everything. I asked them if I should goto Laos or Cambodia or immigration but they said don't worry. That is why they paid the fine.

Anyway the story ends happily, I got my one year extension on my current passport eventually. I had to report to immigration on 3 July with all of my papers from the school and stuff. This done my work permit is being processed, I have the renewal forms all filled out for my new passport and should soon have that. Now I can enjoy a long weekend with no more stress about that silly nonsense hanging over me.

Lawyers schmawyers

Thread Information