PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Obesity and Tobacco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Obesity and Tobacco

I have been hearing people saying that Mc Donalds is the reason that we have so many fat kids running around, even in Thailand I hear that.

We have fat people [quite a few] living up here and we are 250 KM from a MickeyDs and some have never been in a town that has a franchise.
    Lots of children going to schools here are overweight and they never get into the citys or have enough money to eat to much stuff that would compare to McDs menu, what would you blame that on??

I know that the Thai diet is salt and sugar heavy, I watched the other day as the lady was making my Phat Thai and she dumped to tablespoons of sugar in it, and my wife and everyone else always adds a spoon or two of sugar to a bowl of noodles or sprinkles it on top of their food, do ya suppose that has anything to do with what McD it getting world wide blame for???

They say that Obesity and tobacco is the two main causes of premature death in the world and are still saying that starvation is killing thousands daily in their pleas for donations, and they have [in most places] run the tax on tobacco so high that it is cost prohibitive to smoke, Have banned smoking in public places, airplanes and bus' and all enclosed areas, put nasty looking pics on cig pack here to discourage smoking.
    Now why don't they do the same for the fat folks?
    Put a pic of a fat woman in a Bikini on candy bars, soda cans, cookie boxes, Hamburger wrappers and prohibit them in resturants and in others places where smoking is prohibited if they are both so dangerous to your health??

Thanks
    Obesity, has little to do with what type of food you eat and how little exercise you do, just the lack of will power controlling the quantity of food consumed, basically a food addiction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_au
    Obesity, has little to do with what type of food you eat and how little exercise you do, just the lack of will power controlling the quantity of food consumed, basically a food addiction.
    I would suggest that the increasing prevalence of childhood obesity is a result of the triple whammy of insufficient exercise, the wrong kinds of food and excessively large portions, rather than any one of those three in isolation.

I think farang-style fast food is likely to be a major culprit in Thai kids chunking out, because of the combination of lots of sugar and lots of fat, especially trans-saturated fats, combined with all those super-sized meal deals. However, FIP is dead right that Ronald McD and the Colonel aren't the only ones serving up unhealthy food.

Thanks
    But that doesn't explain it when where we live there is not any farang stuff, even for me to eat and I have to eat thai food.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    But that doesn't explain it when where we live there is not any farang stuff, even for me to eat and I have to eat thai food.
    Yeah, that's proof that its not just the fast food chains.

Food-wise you'd want to ask if people are now cooking with more unhealthy oils, like palm oil. (BTW: it's a likely culprit for packaged foods like biscuits getting more unhealthy). You'd also want to ask if they are drinking more soft drink.

Exercise-wise you'd want to ask how many of the kiddies 'round Phetchanbun are getting home from school and onto the X-box, when in the good old days they would have kicked a football or hit a shuttlecock.

Thanks
    Bill, have you got that right, most ride a M/C to school, maybe 4 on 1 bike, song tau but not walk far, watch TV every second they are home or at lunch cause every lunch counter, even up here has a TV, fact they are everywhere, doctors,dentists,stores,, no shop is without one, and I told my dentist when he was gonna work on my teeth to shut the damn thing off or I wouldn't open my mouth.
    Have you noticed that on evaporated [canned milk] here that they have removed the butterfat and substituted Palm Oil [5%] for the BF. in milk, same with any "Fresh" milk or milk powder, it is all skimmed or skimmed and oil added and added flavors with sugar added, you can't buy fresh whole milk here,,even the soy milk my kid drinks is sugar and flavor added [cereal flavor in the one she drank this morning] before school.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_au
    You are quite wrong!

I have now been eating Thai style since February and I have lost 12 to 16 pounds. The double chin has gone, and I can see my insteps (as opposed to toes).

The western diet when compared to modern lifestyles, is unhealthy. In the old days after a breakfast of bread and dripping (or English Breakfast), you spent a day down the pit to burn those unhealthy calories away. Meal sizes also contribute to the problem. The wife is still astounded when a meal comes out. You order a salad and when it comes you find there is enough on the plate to feed a good size herbivore!

Unless you have a medical problem, go asian, plenty of fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken, stay away from red meat, starchy foods (though I can't explain rice which we have plenty of) and all those unhealthy western style snacks. Get some normal excersize and the weight will be shed.

One other illustration of this will be happening in a couple of weeks. I will be heading to the UK for a long weekend and I guarantee that I will get a few pounds back before I am home (no willpower, Lashford sausages mmmmmm).

BTW: The wife has gone up 3 pounds which she is not very happy about

Thanks
    But then I say again,,,Why all the FAT people in our village, the people I speak of never leave the village and the closest thing you get to farang food is an uncooked egg still in the shell. Which the Thai will fry or do some weird shit with it.
    There are a few guys here that when on a Honda Dream look like a circus bear on a small bicycle, they have to ride with their knees straight out to the side so their gut can hang down between their legs.
    Kids so fat that they can't fully open their eyes, and women that look like their tailor is Omar the tent maker or they are wearing old 155 mm gun covers.
    Now these folks I have mentioned eat a strict Thai diet because you can't even buy cremora in the village. Let alone a Candy bar.

Thanks

Breakfast should be the main meal of the day.

My Dad always had to have breakfast, fried meat [Venison,Elk, Bacon or ham or beef steak] fried spuds,Fried Eggs, Hotcakes or biscuits and butter and jam and Black coffee. then he didn't really care if he ate again all day and was never an ounce overweight.
    Doctors say that breakfast is very important and so the govt see to it that school children have a breakfast at school if they have no food at home.

I have never been fat in all my life and I always ate like a horse when young, but worked hard, later I ate good but never as much as some folks, then later in life I ate even less and now that I don't work, I don't eat much or often, so I tend to agree with Paul, gluttony has more to do with being fat than what you eat.
    If you stuff in a heap of low/cal food you still gonna get more calories than eating a normal amount, and if you eat a small piece of cheese cake you will not get as many calories as eating the whole damn cake. and calories is what makes fat..

Thanks
    So I tend to agree with Paul, gluttony has more to do with being fat than what you eat.
    Think about it, you can be a glutton and stuff yourself full of cabbage but you won't get fat, you would just go to the loo a lot or float away. Unprocessed foods tend to have a lot less calories than the stuff that is improved upon i.e. processed, so you can eat a lot more. One of the nice side effects of exercise is that you tend to eat less anyway, so it is a self regulating cycle.

If you stuff in a heap of low/cal food you still gonna get more calories than eating a normal amount, and if you eat a small piece of cheese cake you will not get as many calories as eating the whole damn cake. and calories is what makes fat..
    And there you have it in a nutshell:

If you take in more than you use, you get fat

If you take in less than you use, you get thin

It's always a spectacle to go to a buffet here in the US. Even though they can go and get food as often as they like, you see many who try to get every last crum on that plate, then go back again and again. It's pretty evident where they put it, the neck, the arms, the belly, the bum, the legs etc.
    Last edited by Peterg; 27-06-06 at 05:30 AM.

Thread Information