PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Luk Krueng Life In Bangkok
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

talking Luk Krueng Life In Bangkok

Hi All

I am new to this website and forum but have been in Bangkok for just over a year and a half now.

A little history - My father is Thai, mother is Chinese (with a tiny hint of European I recently found out) but I was born and raised in the UK. Most people here think I am either Farang, Japanese or Korean? I moved here last year to learn Thai and see some of SE Asia, but have ended up staying longer than planned, because I wanted to learn so much more about Thailand. Now I live and work here in Bangkok too!

I read a few of the old threads from last year and feel so glad that there are other luk kruengs who experience what I do on a day to day basis. Not really fitting in 'back home' or not really being accepted here either (fair enough I don't speak Thai too well right now!).

But I am slowly adjusting to life in BKK - it's such a great place to be! I just wondered if anyone had any interesting stories, bits of advice on life in Bangkok as a luk krueng. Or some cool places to hang out - not all Expat and not all Thai?

I have a Farang boyfriend who came out here to be with me to 'share my dream' of moving out here - and people often believe (if they don't look closely enough) that we are a Thai/Farang couple. I don't yet speak Thai although I am learning! I do speak Chinese but that doesn't seem to get me too far here

So far I have met maybe 2 other luk kruengs here through going to learn Thai - are there any more out here in Bangkok? Why don't I ever see any? Well I mean - I don't see any my age! Most of them are really young kids from the new generation of mixed marriages/relationships!

Many (Thai) people seem shocked about my situtation but I am sure there must be some numbers (quite a few) of how many older luk kruengs there are here?

Would really love to hear from anyone in the same boat!

PS I hope I am not rehashing old stuff for those members who have heard this all before!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forums. No, you are not rehashing old stuff. It is always interesting to hear and read about personal experiences in Bangkok. Are you writing a blog? I would love to read more about how you are adjusting to being Thai but not being able to do it 100%. Do you think you would ever be accepted as a Thai person even if you become fluent in Thai? Or are your manners too Westernized?

Thanks
    Hi Richard

Thanks. I wasn't planning on writing a blog. Not sure it would be very interesting to many people! (Work also tends to get in the way!) I don't think I would ever be accepted as a Thai though. As hard as I try to learn to speak and understand. As well as my mentality being quite Westernised (I actually think a lot of my thoughts are a mixture of English, Chinese and Thai!) I think I also look quite mixed - which definitely confuses people! I know I often feel quite isolated and confused myself about 'my identity'....

Thanks
    I know a young lady thats teaching english up here and she is Thai/American and looks almost pure farang, but she and her daughter are getting along fine here.

Thanks
    At age 26 you think your old, well to me your still young.
    Welcome to the forum any way, look forward to hearing more of your posts.

Thanks
    I see older luk krueng all the time...when I look in the mirror. I think BKK is fairly cosmopolitan and there are quite a few mixed people here. I not sure what other effects being a luk krueng has, but it has made it easy to get acting and modeling jobs. Good work for someone like me with no talent or brains.

Thanks

Re: Luk Krueng Life In Bangkok

Hi Marisa,
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.I am in the same situation as you are,spending half of my life in the U.K.Locals tend to stare at you briefly because they cannot make out whether you are Thai ,Chinese,Korean or Japanese especially if you are light skinned.I wouldn't think it's too much problem in Bangkok.If you live up country the situation is even worst as the older folks will stare at you all the time but in general they are always polite when they find out that you can't speak Thai.
    So,not English enough to be in England and not Thai enough to be in Thailand, right? Welcome to the club.Just enjoy yourself o.k.Marisa,krap!

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I've just joined the forum myself. I was gonna write a separate thread, but after reading marisa's posting, I felt that somehow I probrably feel the same as most luk kruengs...American but not American...Thai but not Thai...even though I'm not a luk krueng. I'm actually an American-Born Thai....born and raised in the USA and moved back when I was 8. I should actually be considered completely Thai by now. But still, I sometimes feel too Americanized than most of my Thai friends.....and too Thai-ish for most of my foreign friends. Are there anyone else in the same boat as I am in this forum? Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

Kathy

Thanks

Social scientist's wil say that a culture is inculcated {absorbed} in a human mind by the time there 5 years old. If true, then you most likely will always have those feeling's you've mentioned. I have two adoped thai sons. My wife's kids. There both grown. Sometimes I think they select a way to respond to given situations because of thought's hidden in the back of their mind. Probably the most over used word to describe how to settle situations as your's..... is to...accept. Know that you are a bit different than most people and be proud it.

Thanks

talking Re: Luk Krueng Life In Bangkok

For Us Luk Kruengs a New website, found it but it is still underdevelopment, but look like its going to be good.

[url]http://www.xxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Marie; 16-03-08 at 10:45 AM. Reason: sorry, newbies are not allowed to post link

Thread Information