PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
A variety of tips that will help you ladle up the finest soups and stews.
    Thanks

talking A variety of tips that will help you ladle up the finest soups and stews.

Focus on Quality

1.The first step in creating high-quality soups or stews is to use the freshest, best ingredients available. Be resourceful. Use the celery tops as flavorings for soups and stews. Use leftover veggies from a relish tray. As long as they are still good quality, they should work just fine. Cut all vegetables in uniform shapes and sizes.
    2.Create a balance of flavors between each of the soup's ingredients. Make sure that they complement each other without one flavor overpowering another.
    3.Save the liquids off canned vegetables and use them as part of the liquid in the soup or stew.
    4.Don't overcook vegetables. There's nothing worse than mushy, colorless vegetables. Always add vegetables at the right time so that by the end every vegetable is cooked to perfection. Start by adding the vegetable that will take the longest and then add the others depending on their cooking time.
    5.Certain vegetables, such as leeks, carrots, celery, rutabagas or cabbage require longer cooking times and can be cooked in butter or fat first. Cook until they are tender and lightly browned.
    6.To keep cauliflower white, add a little milk to the soup base.
    7.Since broths are often used as bases for vegetable or noodle soups, make sure to start with a quality broth.

Thanks
    What happens if you can not get most of the veggies that you listed.

When brought in from the garden to market most cabbages are old and dry already.
    I have never seen leeks or rutabagas here and only once in a specialty mkt. did I see celery, and my Thai wife didnt even know what it was.

Thanks
    I think the best soup is street food it is wholesome and cheap

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anatta

3.Save the liquids off canned vegetables and use them as part of the liquid in the soup or stew.
    I am not sure I agree with this one given a manufacturers tendency to add stuff in order to preserve or make the taste better. Best to stick to pure water and then add to taste!

Thanks
    One other thing;

I have found that since getting married we now have no waste! Any leftovers always find a home in a later meal. I was quite suprised when the missus used a roast chicken carcass to make chicken stock, I always used fresh ones!

Anything that's inedible (fish skeletons, shrimp exoskeletons etc.) ends up on the compost heap. The wife then has great fun watching the racoons do the final recycling!

Thread Information