PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What do expats miss the most?
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

What do expats miss the most?

Just out of curiosity, for all those Expats who now live in Thailand.
    What are some of the things you can't live without from back home that isn't availible in Thailand.
    Or things you just miss from back home.

There are certain things I might have friends ship to me once I retire to Thailand.

(Things I need) I need my work out supplements, GNC in Thailand didn't carry some of the stuff that they carry here in the US.

(Things I will Miss) 2-3 inch thick PorterHouse steaks, Nothing like USDA custom cut meats.

Thanks
    I couldn't find chickpeas... Luckily there's an Israeli restaraunt in Chiang Mai that has hummus.

-mike
    fnord!

Thanks
    some stuff like you mentioned, I like to take astrogalus and even tho it is a Chinese herb and readily available just a few miles from here, I have to order from USA, I get some stuff online or have sent in "Care packages" from friends a couple of times a year, does make them cost a little more, but not prohibitive,,like good bath soap that used to be made in the P.I. but was sold by Proctor & Gamble and is now made by a private co. at a lot higher cost in the states "Kirks castille" Coconut oil soap, some spices, but more are becoming available here.
    I can get any kind of meat I want, Angus 150 day grain fed and 24 day aged Rib Eye strip or Strip loins, meats from NZ.,USA or Argentina, most vegs from local markets are equipped with bugs, worms or pesticides, but you can buy clean edible vegs from suppliers or some stores, depending on where you live, whats available, but I live upcountry and have shit shipped with one day service frozen from BKK.

When you get settled, let me know what you want and will tell you how to get the things I buy. just in knowing where and how to get it.

But if you live in CM,BKK or Pattaya then most every"thing" is available.

Thanks
    FaranginPhetch
    Thanx for the offer, I will have to take you up on that.

One thing I am asked to bring for Thia friends is Hot Dogs from the US.
    Like Nathan's Hotdog, Sabrett hotdogs is the most demanding. Uncooked of cause. I usually bring 10 pounds of frozen hotdog. I put this plus a few other items in a seperate checking bag, stuff I can live without incase it get taken away(incluing the bag).
    Can't seem to get a good hotdog in Thailand.

Thanks
    Can get good ones from Siam Food Services, at least I used to, thats where I buy all my meat and some other frozen stuff like vegs from Holland and Belgium, mexican, Ital. food and supplies, but you are right, no good hot dogs on the market, but they are getting better.

Siam will ship same day on a blue bus in styrofoam boxes with dry ice so everything is kept frozen and then after inspection you go to the ATM and transfer the cash to them,,very nice place to do business..

Thanks
    Those are good hot dogs alright but I like HEBREW NATIONAL best of any.
    I do not think they will ever bother you about bringing in food..
    And I don't think that there is any German in the Thai-German brand of sausages here in Thailand.555
    But again, fresh Thai meat is some terrible stuff to try to eat, even the pork is not quality meat.

Thanks
    I miss greasy American food, but then I discovered Big Al's in Pattaya. I hung out with the dude before too; he's from East LA so he KNOWS how to make good ass Mexican food. The pizza in Thailand sucks (no offense). Don't they make it with ketchup?? I tried both Pizza Hut and The Pizza Company but the pizza is nasty. One night I was eating @ Big Al's when I saw a flyer for this pizza joint... so I called them up and it's ran by an American dude. It was some of the best damn pizza ever.

Thanks
    Ketchup Yea, I got a pizza one time we went to the Thai pizza co. shop here in Phetchabun, and I told them to be sure to put the red sauce on it, ya know on the crust, well they gave us their primo pizza, covered with Thai weiner pieces and some cold boiled ham lunch meat and covered with KETCHUP..

Thanks
    I live in BKK and can get most of the things I got back home. One thing I haven't found yet is lactose-free skim milk.

The only thing I really miss is weekend motocycle rides. I'm from SF and spent most free time blasting around Bay Area backroads.

Agree about the hot dogs - haven't found one I like yet. Pizza, I've found good ones - there's lots of expats here who serve pizza, and I think some is very good. Real pizza chefs, who take pizza seriously, using wood-fired ovens, good ingredients, etc. Yummy!

Thanks
    I always had people send me:

-- my personal brand of deodorant
    -- large sized underwear (my hips are that of a farang woman)
    -- Sour candy
    -- anything with cheese...

Thread Information