Thanks

FSI Thai Course.

Has anybody used the level 2 FSI Thai Course.If anyone has can you let me know how advanced the Course is.I have been informed that it is the most advanced Course available ,however I have only been told this from the company selling it.

Thanks
    This is the first course (1 and 2) I ever used and I still have them. 2 is just a continuation of 1 with more grammar concepts, vocabulary, and dialogs. It has the same intensity, methods, layout, etc. Book 2 is even labeled with chapters 21-40 picking up from book 1's 1-20.

Thanks
    The first course I ever used was the full Thai Linguaphone course with a vocab of 2000 words.This course is probably the equivelant level of competence as all the Becker books combined..
    I am in two minds weather to purchase the FSI course as it probably is no more advanced than the level I am at now.
    I also have the Courage software with an 11000 word vocab.
    Last edited by mat; 06-07-06 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks
    What does FSI stand for?

Thanks
    FSI Thai Basic Course is produced by the Foreign Service Institute.
    http://www.worldlanguage.com/Products/8421.htm
    http://www.multilingualbooks.com/fsi-thai.html
    ไมค์

Thanks
    I'm gathering that you don't yet have even level 1, but are considering going right to level two? So I'll add more details.

It has a total vocabulary of about 1400 words, 700+ pages between the two levels, and no Thai script. It uses its own system of transliteration. The length of the course at 700 pages seems impressive, but the whole course is drill heavy - recognition and familiarization drills, substitution drills, response drills, transformation drills, and sentence construction drills. The grammatical content though, I'd say never gets beyond advanced basic.

Take a look at some chapter content lesson focus:

21.มานานแล้ว
    22.อยาก+ให้+verb phrase
    26.ให้+object+recipient
    28.ก็แล้วกัน
    29.เสร็จ
    31.หา/พบ/เจอ
    33.ไป/มา
    35.ขึ้น/ลง
    36.ดี/กว่า
    40.ช่าง

You probably know all that considering what material you've used already. By the way, I typed it in Thai, as in the book it's all transliterated with characters some of which my keyboard has not!

Overall, in my view, it's a really comprehensive course for absolute beginners who don't need/want to learnThai script. It does the basics very well and thoroughly with transliteration. When I did the course I really enjoyed it, but as I was finishing it up, I got the itch for Thai script.

Thanks
    I typed up the lesson 33 dialog, one of the shorter ones, so you can see more of the difficulty level. If there are any Thai mistakes, it's me, since I converted it from transliteration.

1 ผมได้ยินว่าคุณมีบ้านให้เช่า ใช่ไหมครับ

2 ค่ะ มีอยู่หลายหลัง คุณต้องการแบบไหน ชั้นเคี่ยวสองชั้นหรือชั้นครึ่ง

1 ผมอยากได้บ้านที่มีห้องนอนสามห้องแล้วก็มีมุ้งลวดทั้ งหลังจะเป็นสองชั้นหรือชั้นครึ่งก็ได้

2 คุณชอบบ้านตึกหรือไม้คะ

1 อะไรก็ได้ครับ

2 ดิฉันมีบ้านสองชั้นครึ่งตึกครึ่งไม้อยู่หลังหนึ่ง เป็นบ้านแบบสมัยใหม่ ข้างนอกทาสีเขียวอ่อน
    ข้างในสีขาว ชั้นบนมีห้องนอนสามห้องห้องน้ำหนึ่งห้อง ชั้นล่างมีห้องรับแขกห้องครัวห้องอาหาร
    กับห้องน้ำอีกห้องหนึ่ง แล้วก็ หลังบ้านมีเรือนคนใช้กับห้องเก็บของอยู่ต่างหาก

1 มีโรงรถไหมครับ

2 มีค่ะ

Thanks
    Thanks very much for the info on the FSI course,I am glad I did not go for it in the end as it does seem very basic.1400 words is,as you say ok for complete beginners.
    Also it is a must to have Thai script and not the confusing transliterated nonsense.I have not used transliterated Thai for 10 years now.
    I am now concentrating on my Sriwilai Ponmanee book,Speaking Thai for advanced learners.Her books are in the minority for learning more advanced Thai.

Thread Information