PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Volunteering in an Orphanage in/around Bangkok?
    Thanks

so happy! Volunteering in an Orphanage in/around Bangkok?

Hey there,

We are coming to Bangkok in August and while there would like to give something back and volunteer at an orphanage for a day or so out of Bangkok or in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places, where they are and who we would go about arranging it, or do we just sort of turn up and ask to help out?

We want to help out where help is most needed.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks, but it didn't really help much :(

I would really like to hear of orphanages, rather than the hospitals etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts
    The only orphanage that I know is the famous Pattaya Orphanage started by Fr.Brennan. They welcome volunteers, but want a 6 month commitment.

http://www.pattayaorphanage.org.uk/h...yPoint=default

I do not think you are going to be able to find an orphanage that will want help for just a day or so, as people staying such a short time will not be good for the children, many of whom have been previously abandoned by people they trusted or began to trust. Maybe you should look for orphanages to visit and donate -you might get lucky and be able to stay the whole day.

Thanks
    I've heard of alot of tourists who go in and help out for one day so it's unlikely they would turn down help. I'm not just talking about spending time with the children, I am talking about cooking and cleaning etc as well. Alot of tours actually go and visit orphanages (which I find actually appalling) and I'd rather not do this but have a hands on approach.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallon.Nathan
    I've heard of alot of tourists who go in and help out for one day so it's unlikely they would turn down help. I'm not just talking about spending time with the children, I am talking about cooking and cleaning etc as well. Alot of tours actually go and visit orphanages (which I find actually appalling) and I'd rather not do this but have a hands on approach.
    Fact remains that tours to orphanages bring in a lot badly needed cash contributions -and - briefly - give a "hands on" approach to visitors. I have been on one of these trips and believe me, a lot of people are very moved afterwards- perhaps to the extent of doing something more permanent in the way of regular financial contributions or volunteer work. It also gives a chance for some initial contact to be made with the staff for future volunteer work. Don't knock it until you have tried it.

Thanks
    As long as you're sure money does actually go to the orphanages themselves I guess it is something to consider.

Do you know of any?

Thanks
    Pattaya Orphanage -link as above-it was on a day trip while staying a couple of days in Pattaya in 1996, that is how I got to know of it. They had a donation box firmly nailed to the wall by the entrance, so I guess the money did get to them. Apart from that I can't help -sorry- but maybe you could contact them by e-mail and explain you do not have 6 months and if they can not use their help, do they know of an orphanage that can?

Thread Information