PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Siam Ocean World & Dreamworld
    Thanks

Siam Ocean World & Dreamworld

Hey there,

My sister is interested in visiting these places but I am wondering whether:

a) Siam Ocean World is worth the money ($20NZD) and I haven't been able to find out much, or see any pictures anywhere

b) Dreamworld is more for kids and would be too childish?

Is there anyother theme parks (rollercoasters etc) in/near Bangkok as my sister has never left NZ and therefore never had the experience themeparks whatsoever!

Thansk in advance

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I didn't find it was good value for money. It all depends on what you have seen and experienced before. I have written a blog on this place:

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/content/view/132/94/

I haven't been to Dream World for five years. There are more rides there now, but if you have been to places like Disney World then you will be disapointed. It is a little on the tame side.

There are no great theme parks here. If she has never been to one then I guess it wouldn't hurt to go to Dream World.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts
    Richard, Im a little confused by your answer as your original blog seems to suggest that on the whole you think Paragon Siam Oceanworld is worth a visit even considering the cost; here you say dont find it good value. I tend to agree with what you say in this thread, that it depends on your previous experiences of this type of place. My first experience of a large aquarium was at Bang Sai and have to say that I was left speechless after seing a full grown stingray eerily gliding around a tank that huge. Paragon I enjoyed but there was nothing there that amazed me or left me feeling that I had experienced anything special. (agree though about percentage of Thai to farang customers).

I have since visited a similar place in UK and have to say that although it was even more expensive, the tunnel part was much more impressive with giant sea turtles.

Sorry I have no knowledge of Dreamworld at all.

Thanks
    Thanks Richard,

I must have missed you're blog on that (have been reading your site rather religiously!! It's fantastic, I've found it really hard to find any decent "research" material on Thailand on the internet).

I've never been to Disneyworld, but we have been to all the themeparks on the Golad Coast of Australia which look alot better than Dream world. Thanks for the reply.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Sorry about the confusion. Personally, I didn't find Siam Ocean World value for money - partly because I live here and it was a lot of money for me, but also because I had seen better elsewhere. For example in Singapore. However, for tourists visiting the capital, I would put it on their list of things to do AFTER they are bored with temples, canal tours, shopping etc. So, it would be in my Top 20 for Bangkok.

I visited all the theme parks on the Gold Coast in Australia before I went to Dream World for the first time. So, for me it was like a waste of time. They have added more rides since then, but still it cannot compare with the Gold Coast. But, if you are bored and have nothing else to do, then you might as well go.

Thanks
    Thanks Richard, we'll see what happens, we have 7 days so you never know! I think we'd like to do some day trips and have days doing next to nothing as well so we might not even bother yet.

Thanks
    Also, Richard, is it true there is no drinking age in Thailand? I'm wondering as it's 18 here in NZ and while myself and my fiance are 21, my sister is only 19 so am wondering if we could or couldn't go for a drink when in Phuket?

Thanks
    Oh, and another question! How safe is it out at night in Bangkok? I hesitate going out even in Christchurch here because it's so "rowdy" sometimes, and we'll be a group of 2 girls and a male.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Depends a lot on where you want to drink. Laws are not always enforced. You woudn't have much trouble ordering beer in a restaurant. However, a nighclub might be another thing. As for whether nightime in Bangkok is dangerous, I can only say it as safe (and dangerous) as other places around the world. As women, be very careful how you dress. A lof of Thai men know Western women only through movies and think they are all "easy". If they are drunk as well then it could be a problem. If you are sensible and take all the usual precautions then you will have no problems.

Thanks
    Thanks, that helped alot

Thread Information