PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Night Safari 'poor investment'
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Bangkok Post, 12th July 2006
    AMPA SANTIMATANEDOL

The Night Safari park in Chiang Mai is a poor investment and has attracted very few visitors, a member of the National Human Rights Commission said yesterday. A lot of money had been spent on it but there was no telling how long it would take the park to just break even, let alone turn a profit, said Surasi Kosolnawin.

Also, local people fear they may be forced off their land to make way for the planned addition of an elephant park.

Records showed the park had about 30,000 visitors during the July 8-11 holiday. This was far too few for such a long holiday period, Mr Surasi said.

Earlier records should not be used to judge the popularity of the Night Safari, he said. In the initial stage, the park was open free of charge and a lot of people visited it because they wanted to see what the excitement was all about. There had been very few visitors since its official opening.

Local people were also complaining there was very little information available on the Night Safari's elephant park project and fear their land may be expropriated to make way for the attraction, part of the second phase of the Chiang Mai World megaproject under Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's grand scheme to turn his home province into a world-class tourist attraction.

The park, tipped to be the biggest of its kind with more than 200 elephants, is planned on 6,000 rai of land in the Doi Suthep-Pui national park, where the 1.2-billion-baht Night Safari park is located.

The National Human Rights Commission had sent a letter asking for more details of the elephant park project, but the only reply it received was that the park's area might be reduced to accommodate only 40 elephants, Mr Surasi said.

On June 7, the Phakhi Hak Jiang Mai (Love Chiang Mai Group), a staunch opponent of the Night Safari project, filed a complaint with the Administrative Court against the Designated Area for Sustainable Tourism Administration (Dasta) operating the park. Dasta is headed by Plodprasop Suraswadi, assistant to the minister of natural resources and the environment.

The group also demanded the Night Safari site be transferred to the Doi Suthep-Pui national park administration.

Thanks
    I will be going there if I'm ever in Chiang Mai, just after I got visit Betti.

Thanks
    No you won't,, you to damn cheap to buy a ticket and the freeby days is past, they don't need no more free loaders, they lost enough money now.

Thanks

Re: Night Safari 'poor investment'

I dont know if they still think the Night Safari is doing poorly. I went there over the New Years weekend and it was packed. It was a 3 hour wait to get into the tour. We decided not to wait and left without seeing anything.

Thread Information