Thanks

thai baht: How much money should I take?

hi!
    i don`t know if i`m posting this in the right place but i need a little help.

i`m going to bangkok for 2 weeks and i have no idea how much money should i take cause i`m totally blind about the thai baht value...well i know the value compared to my currency but i don`t know the price of the stuff there.

how much should i take with me considering i DON`T have to pay a place to sleep at and i intend to do basic shopping and visit around?

thanks a lot.

Thanks
    About 4000 THB per day for a tourist that likes to shop should be more than enough. Most items are not too expensive, especially if you venture away from heavy tourist areas. You can also barter with street vendors, but not at BigC, Lotus, or other chain stores. That amounts to about $1,400 U.S. total. I don't know that that is in Euros or Pesos, but I hope that gives you an idea anyway.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    Expenditures can vary so widely in Thailand, as there are ways to accommodate just about every budget. Here are some examples.
    http://www.into-asia.com/thailand/costs.php

Thanks
    thanks...

well actually i don`t need to pay accomodation...

Thanks
    My estimate does not include accomodations. However, if they were included it would be a simple exercise in subtraction.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts
    If you avoid imported things, eat Thai street food and avoid buying in tourist areas you can live really cheaply without depriving yourself too much -B2000-B2500 (about €50a day) goes a long way if wisely spent. If you are staying with someone who knows Bangkok it may be even cheaper.

Thanks
    I don't know about most folks, but if I am on holiday and have free accomodations I am going to spend some cash and enjoy myself. Most people in the West earn more than $100 per day. I would spend at least that much on holiday. However, that's just a personal preference.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts
    I know what you are saying -its great to splurge -but I find I tend to spend a lot for the first few days on holiday and then settle down and spend less. I still enjoy myself but the "retail therapy" takes a back seat to other things that don't cost a lot. It's just the way things seem to work out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marina
    i`m going to bangkok for 2 weeks and i have no idea how much money should i take
    In addition to cash, if you have a bank card (in the U.S. ATM = automated teller machine), there is a good chance you will be able to withdraw spending money from most major banks in Bangkok. You also can change Traveler's Checks/Cheques; if you bring them, the rates at the airport are fair and the booths there are much faster (less bureaucratic) than changing them at a bank!

Thread Information