PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Sabotage & Blackmail: Risks and Preventions
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Sabotage & Blackmail: Risks and Preventions

I had read from another forum that there have been cases of blackmail and sabotage. One common tactic is to visit a farang's apartment, where the Thai secretly plants illegal drugs in a hidden place, and threatens to report to police that the farang is dealing with drugs should the later refuses to give him a large amount of money.

Another tactic is to secretly slip a packet of drugs into a pocket of the farang, then report him to a policeman, who is obviously an accomplice and who demands a large amount of money for the matter to rest.

Have you guys heard of such risks facing farangs? How would you prevent being involved? Do you feel safe about disclosing about yourselves to your poorer Thai neighbors or acquaintances?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_Thailand
    I had read from another forum that there have been cases of blackmail and sabotage. One common tactic is to visit a farang's apartment, where the Thai secretly plants illegal drugs in a hidden place, and threatens to report to police that the farang is dealing with drugs should the later refuses to give him a large amount of money.

Another tactic is to secretly slip a packet of drugs into a pocket of the farang, then report him to a policeman, who is obviously an accomplice and who demands a large amount of money for the matter to rest.

Have you guys heard of such risks facing farangs? How would you prevent being involved? Do you feel safe about disclosing about yourselves to your poorer Thai neighbors or acquaintances?
    Such things as you have mentioned can happen anywhere in the world and do I would imagine, not only in Thailand.

But as you have questiond about what info you let out to your neighbors,, Don't worry about that,
    With a Thai lady in residence in your house, You will know immediately about what all your neighbors are doing and saying, and they in fact will know everything about you as well, Just kinda keeps it even I guess.

LOS means "Land Of Smiles",,not "Land Of Secrets"...But if you are familiar enough with The country to actuall _LOVE _THAILAND then you already know this.

Thanks

talking Prevention is better than tears

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    Such things as you have mentioned can happen anywhere in the world and do I would imagine, not only in Thailand.

But as you have questiond about what info you let out to your neighbors,, Don't worry about that,
    With a Thai lady in residence in your house, You will know immediately about what all your neighbors are doing and saying, and they in fact will know everything about you as well, Just kinda keeps it even I guess.

LOS means "Land Of Smiles",,not "Land Of Secrets"...But if you are familiar enough with The country to actuall _LOVE _THAILAND then you already know this.
    Well, I think it's always cool to say these until one gets into trouble. For a country that big not only in term of area and population but also income disparity, I think it's wise not to appear too good a target for potential crooks.

Thanks
    You will only have to worry about that at night in areas where you should not be, and not much then, but it does happen, Thai are always worried about thieves, but I on the other hand have lived where there is a lot of thievery and it just doesn't happen here.

Just normal precautions are all thats needed.

It is not that big a country either in population or area, some states in America are bigger in both, with crime rates also higher than here.

And being a farang you will be looked at as more affluent than a Thai because you will have to have at least 65,000 baht a month certified income where a Thai will only have 7,000 and maybe less.

Thanks
    Best to keep a low profile in Thailand, drive an old clapped out car, if you need a car, have holes in your shoes and clothes, look like a poor farang, and you will less likely become a target.

Thanks

so happy!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_au
    Best to keep a low profile in Thailand, drive an old clapped out car, if you need a car, have holes in your shoes and clothes, look like a poor farang, and you will less likely become a target.
    I am sorry, but it's only my 2nd day in this forum, and I am starting to feel you are talking nonsense. Has anyone in real life commented that you sound like an idiot before?

Thanks
    You will only have to worry about that at night in areas where you should not be, and not much then, but it does happen, Thai are always worried about thieves, but I on the other hand have lived where there is a lot of thievery and it just doesn't happen here.

Just normal precautions are all thats needed.

It is not that big a country either in population or area, some states in America are bigger in both, with crime rates also higher than here.

And being a farang you will be looked at as more affluent than a Thai because you will have to have at least 65,000 baht a month certified income where a Thai will only have 7,000 and maybe less.
    Oh, is having 65K/m a condition to qualify for the retirement VISA? That's quite a lot. I mean most of you guys don't really need that much to survive very well in Thailand. Are you using the pension in the USA to qualify for this 65K requirement?

Thanks
    Yes, people have told him that before..always...

And Yes, that is the requirement to obtain a long term visa, at least 65K baht per month verifiable income and a notarized letter from your embassy to that amount.

Thanks
    Yes, people have told him that before..always...

And Yes, that is the requirement to obtain a long term visa, at least 65K baht per month verifiable income and a notarized letter from your embassy to that amount.
    IC. So I am talking to a rich man. I think it translates into around Singapore$3,000, which is enough for surviving quite well in Singapore.

I hope you aren't really spending that much. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a good bargain to move there.
    Last edited by I_Love_Thailand; 10-08-06 at 08:59 AM.

Thanks
    As I stated before, you can live on 4000 baht or you can easily spend 100,000 baht, that choice is up to you, and as I also stated we spend between 20,000 and up to, but never more than 80,000 a month, just depends on what we want,,I spent 40,000 for a portable generator to run my sump pumps in case of power failure during times of high water [flooding] and in 4 years has never been used except to run once in awhile to freshen the fuel.

Thread Information