PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
lifestyles and food for expats
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Don't get me wrong... I do love to eat meat! It just seemed to me that in CM there are a lot of veg restaurants, and the two I mentioned I consider high quality. Sometimes restaurants focus too much on the meat and then the vegetables served are lower quality. If I want to eat really good vegetables I prefer to go to veg restaurants.
    life is wonderful!

Thanks

OK, I like some good veggies too

Quote Originally Posted by maipenrai99
    Don't get me wrong... I do love to eat meat! It just seemed to me that in CM there are a lot of veg restaurants, and the two I mentioned I consider high quality. Sometimes restaurants focus too much on the meat and then the vegetables served are lower quality. If I want to eat really good vegetables I prefer to go to veg restaurants.
    But most people that eat at veggie joints are vegans and as such think anyone that eats anything else is a Neanderthal and far below their mental levels when it was protein that started the advancement of the homosapien on his way to where we have came today, [not saying we are really in a good place]
    I am really not much into restaurant vegs either as most are over cooked and I do not care for that idea.
    also there just doesn't seem to be a real good stock or supply of what I would consider good veggies here in Thailand either, we do get some that are fair from up around Chiang Rai and I do not know if the climate is compatible to good vegetable production either, but would say that the soil conditions where we live would not produce like the soil in my grandmas garden,,we have mostly clay, and the Thai idea of picking everything green or at least before good quality is reached is far from a good thing for marketable produce.
    Thai do produce some real fair potatoes, especially for frying, they mash OK and would be supreme bakers if they would learn to set the jackets before harvesting, but they do not seem concerned with a superior product but one that is just OK and will sell because you can not get anything better.

Thanks
    Ouch! I have to say, steak and caesar salad weren't exactly what I was expecting on a thai food forum!

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    But most people that eat at veggie joints are vegans and as such think anyone that eats anything else is a Neanderthal and far below their mental levels when it was protein that started the advancement of the homosapien on his way to where we have came today, [not saying we are really in a good place]
    what's your point here? This is a rather offensive and unfounded generalisation about vegans.

Incidentally...
    "it was protein that started the advancement of the homosapien on his way to where we have came today, [not saying we are really in a good place]"- (FarangInPhetch)
    So you're saying that since humans changed from being vegetarians to eating meat, we've arrived at a bad place? Anyway, any more scrumptious thai food in Chiang Mai guys? Dukkha, just send me a message if you want some tips on Chiang Mai, I loved the place and would be more than happy to help
    Last edited by rcalaimo; 28-08-06 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks
    Maplang, I am not arguing anything here
    send me an email or at least a pm and we can talk, but not here.
    Last edited by rcalaimo; 28-08-06 at 02:30 AM. Reason: personal challenge. Please keep posts on topic.

Thanks
    here is a question related to some of the viewpoints raised in this thread, and in others (perhaps it would deserve a thread of its own), and it is a difficult one.
    why is it that if a Thai moves abroad, and decides to eat Thai food, get in touch with other Thais in the area, goes to the local temple, celebrates Thai holidays together with the local community, all besides adapting to the host country and learning the language, then we appalude the efforts and the bonding between a person and his/her culture; whereas if a farang moves to Thailand and decides to eat farang food, stay in touch with other farangs, and does not entirely bury himself/herself in the local culture and forgets about his/her roots or origin, all besides making a reasonable attempt to understand the people, customs (including food) and the language, then we tend to look down on that person who is clinging on to foreigner and alien things instead of living and breathing all things Thai.
    whoa, how about that for a long sentence.
    I have had this question for a long time, coming up repeatedly when reading some of the threads and opinions expressed.
    I don't look down on Western culture and on the way things are handled in the west. I didn't come here to become Thai, although in many ways Thai culture is better suited to the person I am. but I don't think keeping in touch with other farangs, working with farangs and people from various cultural backgrounds (I work at a Muslim Thai school with Buddhist, Christian and Muslim staff, kids from about 20 different countries), or eating farang food (which I badly need to keep sane and healthy), or expressing negative opinions on a few local customs (though I hate to have to admit that Thais badly mess up quite a few things), or not being automatically enthusiastic about all things Thai makes my life in Thailand worthless or second class.
    so, why is it to be applauded if a Thai eats Thai in San Francisco or Wellington or Paris, and why should a farang be ashamed of eating a steak, pizza or souvlaki in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, or his/her own kitchen in some remote village?
    I am not trying to defend FiP, I think he is expressing his views slightly too offensively at times about Thai food/farang food, but the question still holds.

Thanks
    The main reason is that most [Iwas going to say all then I remembered what I had just read] Tourists are in fact racist and consider them selves above Thai, so to disprove the statement that I just made, they will try to make like everything here is superior to what they have at home or elsewhere and it is just so grand that everyone has to enjoy it, like the one that got me on email and got my phone number, came here on a bus and called for us to pick her up, stayed at our house for 2 days until Sunee took her back to the bus so she could go to someplace in BKK where she could eat the wonderful Thai food, see the wonderful Thai culture and do this wonderful thing and that wonderful thing, so she ate a day or so off food carts and ended up in the hospital with skidders, 2 days later they had her on a plane back to San diego and she was damn near dead.
    She had no idea about Thai food or culture, but just had to Get Down with the Thai, for that matter, she was afraid of the Thai people.
    I am no better than them nor are they better than me, they can eat their fav food if they like, I have eaten some of it for years as well as food from everyplace that I happen to live or be, but to me Thai food is about the most stucatto food I have ever eaten and as such is very easy to get tired of, so tired that when I see it or smell it I want to puke, but I like Thailand, the weather, the living, my wife and family, the people in general, there are also some things that I do not like,,just as every where else I have ever been.
    I might live here, but do not have to eat the food.
    and am glad to see that someone else feels as I do, It is a nice place to live.

Thanks
    I'm not talking about food only, but the entire lifestyle and attitude to things.
    and don't misunderstand me, I do like Thai food, I just cannot eat it all the time, it simply cannot give me the variety in terms of ingredients and flavours that I need, plus my stomach does not tolerate frequent spicy or strong taste meals. I did try lots of things, and I like streetfood, and I enjoy my phat thai, khao soy, khao man gai, noodle soups, fried rice, somtam with sticky rice and fried chicken, tom yam, etc. about four or five times a week, but not more often.

Thanks
    Yes Betti, I know what you are saying, like last week when someone was mouthing about us with aircons ,cars ,internet.
    But my wife is Thai and she doesn't like a diet of straight thai either, she asked me this morning if I could cook beef steaks, mashed potatoes, gravy and have a green salad with ranch dressing for supper.

It really broke my heart that we could not eat green curry with chicken and no mai, rice. but I let it go. 555

Thanks
    gravy is just about the worst thing you can ever put on your food

I'm really crazy about pizza, I wish I had an oven, and then I could make dough (from milk and flour and yeast I mean, not some frozen preserved junk), and my own crazy toppings. tom yam kung pizza is great, actually and I don't want to feel ashamed of such fusion food (it's a pity that it's sooooo expensive at the Pizza Company).

Thanks
    At times I think tourist's and some expats see thailand and the thai/lao people thru rose colored glasses. They visit cities, stay in cities and maybe take in a Wat or two. Sometimes they decry flavorful thai curries as smelly. But, there having fun and love the thai people. Cities are big and getting bigger, but, the majority of thai/lao people live in the countryside. They don't have much chance to sample "thai"food. City thai food. Farang's got it made in thailand. live a different kind of life. And often they have a love/hate relationship with thais and thailand . Country folk suffer drought and flood. They really suffer,. Northwest thailand is currently being hit with a dry spell. Losing crops due to lack of water, or too much water, is a norm up there. So they borrow money to start again. They don't give up. .... Recently I sent enough money to buy 10, 100Kilo bags of medium grade rice. About 700 baht per bag. Delivery charge is included for the 40K trip. Also send 500 Baht each to 13 grand children every 2 months. .... We have a stocked fish pond on our land. {wife's land}..We send money to buy fish feed. Our family"s fish needs are met. Fish being a staple, it's appreciated... Along with some veggie gardens, they get by. Seems to me that many people come and go from thailand and don't know what the other picture of thailand really is....

Thread Information