PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai Restaurants Abroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thai Restaurants Abroad

Thai restaurants overseas likely to expand to 20,000 in 2008

COPENHAGEN, Sept 5 (TNA) - The number of Thai restaurants overseas is believed to increase to 20,000 as targeted by the Ministry of Commerce by 2008, Vice Minister for Commerce Pimol Srivikorn said on Monday.

Mr. Pimol told TNA that in the first half of 2006 alone, there were more 2,000 Thai restaurants opened overseas under the government's Thai Kitchens to the World initiative.

"This makes the mumber of Thai restaurants overseas now stand at 9,000 and is expected to increase to 12,000 by the end of this year," he noted.

Mr. Pimol said he believed that the number of Thai restaurants overseas would expand to 20,000 by 2008, meeting the official target set earlier by Commerce Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, who is also a deputy prime minister.

The vice minister, who heads a sub-committee in the Thai Kitchens to the World Project, is leading a Thai delegation, comprising mostly of nutritionist lecturers of Kasetsart University and Rajamangala Institute of Technology, to organize a Thai cookery training course in Denmark's capital, Copenhagen.

He revealed that Thai food is very popular in Scandinavian countries, especially in Denmark, where the number of Thai restaurants had increased to 111.

Mr. Pimol also sign an agreement with Copenhagen Hospitality College, Denmark's largest food institute, in whch Thai nutritionists would be sent to teach Thai cookery at the institute--beginning from late this year.

Mr. Pimol will then lead the Thai team to organize similar training courses in Sweden and other Scandinavian countries.

The Thai government also plans to establish "Thai Town" in Denmark and other allied countries to promote Thai trade, investment and other relations with the host countries, according to the vice minister. (TNA)--E002

Thanks

Re: Thai Restaurants Abroad

Hi!

Good for us if we travel to Danemark
    A quick search on the Swiss telephone book indicates that we have 103 Thai restaurant and about 200 Thai take aways in Switzerland (for 7 Mios residents).

Aroy dee!
    Support our friends at PAKNAM and save money, buy your books and click on: http://www.buythaibooks.com

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

I cannot help but think that many of them would be far more succesful if they refrained from adjusting the tastes they serve to suit the farang! or at least offer truly authentic dishes that perhaps could be offered alongside their bland and often tastless westernised dishes.
    That said, their prices are enough to make me stay at home!
    TF have fits when I tell them of the prices here.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ualan
    A quick search on the Swiss telephone book indicates that we have 103 Thai restaurant and about 200 Thai take aways in Switzerland (for 7 Mios residents).

Aroy dee!
    Yes, there are many restaurants and take aways here, but often combined with other asian food, and like khunlungphudhu said adapted to western taste. But I think that they wouldn't sell as much if they provided only authentic Thai (or asian) food. I know many Swiss people who don't like spicy food or strong fish sauce smells, but they still like to eat asian food. I guess they make up quite a big part of the customers of these asian shops, so I understand the shopkeepers have to adapt. Just too bad there are only a few shops that still sell some authentic Thai dishes. I'm glad that one lady at a restaurant near my place is from Issaan! She knows what I like and upon request serves almost anything, even Somtam with Plaraa

However, there are not as many Thai shops around here. The ones I know are very small and I often have difficulties finding ingredients if I want to cook by myself! Are there many food shops in Geneva, ualan?
    life is wonderful!

Thanks

Hope that I am not going to upset anyone, if so I do apologise for that in advance. However, as there are seem to be Thai restaurant(s) everywhere, but hardly find any with a real quality. There should be someone such as Thai Government, plays a little attention toward the quality control and other respects, which recognised by at least for The Thais'. Any comment, please feel free to discuss. Hope there is a certain concern out there.

Thanks

I think that is a good point, but it must be awfully hard to control. I know the government of Italy has been 'cracking down' on restaurants in the US (and other countries??) that use the word "Italian" but don't use Italian ingredients or traditions.

When I go into my local Thai restaurant and speak Thai with the wait staff, they will inevitibly ask if I want it Thai style. Unfortunately, that's not done across the board and what most people think is Thai food is a sad imposter. ....and actually that's only at some of the 'better restaurants'. I've inquired abut Thai Style at some restaurants and had the Thai waitress sheepishly respond that they aren't able to cook it that way.

Thanks

How can a foreign goverment control another countries food style? I have not heard of that? I agree on the fact that the Thai restaurants I have been to in the USA have been tweeked to what is thought of as a flavor for the locals. ummm wonder what the staff is eating today?;0P

Thanks

I have had some bad Thai in the USA and in Ireland!! However, there is a GREAT little place in Daytona, FL!! I can get the name of it if anyone is interested!!

I think the problem with most Thai restaurants is that they are just way too commercialized. I will not eat at a place that serves anything eles but Thai. Also, must people cannot eat it "Thai Hot". The good places are out there but you just have to look VERY VERY hard.

The best Thai meal is the one made at home!!! Since I started cooking Thai, I will not go out for a Thai meal!! Its a good stress reliever as well!

Thanks

I think it is also responsibility of the one who run the restaurant, how they target and set the quality of the place. Maintaining authentic taste is good, but also some of them may have to adjust taste to suit the local too. I'm sure government can promote and encourage in many ways, but the end it is up to them. And if the taste is really bad, they won't be able to survive anyhow.

Thanks

Here in Los Angeles there are generally two strategies for Thai restaurants. One strategy is to target Thais in the area with authentic cuisine. The decor is usually very bland, and there is always a photo or two of the King and Buddha. Prices are generally lower, the food is more authentic, and mostly Thai people are inside (both employees and customers). The other strategy is to target farang, These restaurants must adjust their menu for farang tastes. The decor is usually a bit more trendy and the prices are also a bit higher. You may find farang or Thai who don't speak Thai working in the front. The chef is usually Thai, but the rest of the staff may not be. Thai restaurants in Thaitown compete on the basis of authenticity of their regional cuisines. Those in other areas that target farang compete on the basis of theme, menu options, services (i.e., delivery, catering, etc.) and location.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thread Information