Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Rhyming expressions

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta
    Some more:

สมพรปาก = May it be as you said

เป็นสาวเป็นนาง = being female

เป็นสาวเป็นแส้ = being female
    Those are good Anatta, but the first three actually aren't rhyming, are they? The second two look like examples of reduplication. I'm not sure how to classify the first one--it doesn't seem to use alliteration, reduplication, or rhyming.

But thanks! I had not seen any of these, as far as I can recall.

DogoDon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DogoDon
    Those are good Anatta, but the first three actually aren't rhyming, are they? The second two look like examples of reduplication. I'm not sure how to classify the first one--it doesn't seem to use alliteration, reduplication, or rhyming.

But thanks! I had not seen any of these, as far as I can recall.

DogoDon
    Oh! Thank you for pointed me about this. Yessss You're right สมพรปาก isn't rhyming. (( you're so smart hehe ))

And about ..เป็นสาวเป็นนาง and เป็นสาวเป็นแส้ .They are คำซ้อน ซึ่งคำสัมผัสแบบการซ้ำเสียง in Thai lesson.(( ?????? ))
    Last edited by Anatta; 30-01-07 at 12:34 AM.
    " Every morning dedicate positive things, and during the whole day make a wish that we will always be of benefits to sentient beings. We will be helpful to any being in different ways."

Thanks

Anatta, the word "rhyme" in English can technically mean several things, but the majority of the time it's used to mean words which share the same vowel and coda (final sound).

So, ปาก and ฝาก rhyme, but ปาก and ปาน don't, nor would ปาก and ปอก. In English, pat and bat rhyme, but pat and pan don't, nor to pat and pot. They have to share both vowel and coda.

เป็นสาวเป็นแส้ is an example of alliteration, in which the first sound is the same, ส.

I think the confusion arises because Thai has the more general term สำผัสเสียง, which translated directly means something like "share a sound," and can encompass a number of more specific English terms: rhyming, alliteration, assonance, consonance, etc.

So in Thai, สำผัสเสียงแบบการซ้ำเสียง would translate roughly to "alliteration," I believe.

Is that a helpful explanation?

Thanks

Very good explanation, Rikker. Thanks!

Here's another for the list:

เอิกเกริก (pronounced เอิก-กะ-เหฺริก) boisterous, noisy; hilarious, merry, full of fun; to be widely known, famous

Hey Rikker, at some point it would be great to have all of the entries in this thread in one place that is easily accessible, ideally in alphabetical order. Just a thought.

DogoDon

Thanks

And another:

ตกล่องปล่องชิ้น to decide to cooperate with each other; to decide to live together or spend ones' lives together
    The correct spelling is ตกร่องปล่องชิ้น

ok, some more :

ปล้ำผีลุกปลุกผีนั่ง - v. to make according to one's will.
    ลุกลี้ลุกลน - v. to hurry, to be hasty, to be in a nervous hurry, to flurry, to act hurriedly.
    กระเหม็ดกระแหม่ or เขม็ดแขม่ - v. to economize, to be economical, to save, to be thrifty.
    กระเหี้ยนกระหือรือ - the meaning on dictionary are v. adj. zealous, fervent, fervid, forward. But I think it's not quite right. Hmmm..I don't know how to explain. TK, I need your help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alone
    กระเหี้ยนกระหือรือ - the meaning on dictionary are v. adj. zealous, fervent, fervid, forward. But I think it's not quite right. Hmmm..I don't know how to explain. TK, I need your help.
    P'Alone .. nice to see you around

To be honest, I am not sure whether I am right but I always thought กระเหี้ยนกระหือรือ is when you are eagerly wanting something so much so it should mean - craving, or having an intense desire ... what do you think?
    TK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alone
    The correct spelling is ตกร่องปล่องชิ้น
    Thanks. I had found it spelled both ways, but didn't know which one was correct. Can you also explain how this means "deciding to live together"? I note ร่อง and ปล่อง both have somewhat similar meanings:

ร่อง N groove, channel, ditch, furrow.

ปล่อง 1 N tube. 2 N shaft (as of a mine). 3 N opening, vent.

But I have a hard time understanding how they go together with the other words to make the meaning of this expression. Maybe it just can't be explained?

DogoDon

Thanks

Thanks. I had found it spelled both ways, but didn't know which one was correct. Can you also explain how this means "deciding to live together"? I note ร่อง and ปล่อง both have somewhat similar meanings:

ร่อง N groove, channel, ditch, furrow.

ปล่อง 1 N tube. 2 N shaft (as of a mine). 3 N opening, vent.

But I have a hard time understanding how they go together with the other words to make the meaning of this expression. Maybe it just can't be explained?

DogoDon
    I don't really know it but have a feeling that there must be something to do with ชิ้น which is an old slang word means 'lover'; like แฟน (or probably กิ๊ก) nowaday.

(when I said 'old slang'; I don't know how old but IMO over 50 years ago, Ι heard the word ชิ้น in period film, I think it's ทวิภพ (1991 version) so I guess it was used around King Rama 5 era
    TK

Thanks

Thanks TK, that could be part of the explanation. The book I found the expression in was translated into Thai about พ.ศ. ๒๔๙๓ so that's about the same time period you guessed.

Okay, here's another rhyming expression for the list:

อัดอั้นตันใจ . . . to feel utterly helpless; depressed and heavy at heart

DogoDon

Thanks

Million thanks to DogoDon for point of this and Rikker for your kindly helpful explanation to me kha...

I'm really don't know about this. And I thought it might similarly like คำสัมผัส in Thai..Then Kob khun mak mak ka..
    " Every morning dedicate positive things, and during the whole day make a wish that we will always be of benefits to sentient beings. We will be helpful to any being in different ways."

Thread Information