PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Where to stay
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Where to stay

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NEW ZEALAND
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Where to stay

    Hi anybody please can u help me, we will be in Bangkok on the 26th Jan 07 and leaving on 28th Jan. I dont know the difference in shopping between Silom rd and Sukhumvit rd areas, however, we want to be near somewhere where my 2 young teenage girls can splash out on fake designer clothes, make up etc. As you can see we have very little time and i want to make the most of it

    any help greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    happy Re: Where to stay

    For 3 days is quite a rush.And what is yours budget???There are many hotels around the famous Pratunam(street vendor selling fake goods).But not near BTS.stn.,need to walk a lot.
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Where to stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabby
    I dont know the difference in shopping between Silom rd and Sukhumvit rd areas, however, we want to be near somewhere where my 2 young teenage girls can splash out on fake designer clothes, make up etc.
    Oh! Oh!
    Bangkok is NOT a good place to bring young teenage girls, but, if you insist, you should know that neither Silom nor Sukhumvit would be good.

    I live in Bangkok.
    Silom Road is primarily large office buildings with a few nice, but ordinary, department stores - doesn't fit your request.
    At night Silom Road turns into a locale for prostitution and homosexuals.
    Sukhumvit is mostly bars, prostitutes and hotels of all kinds, and not really appropriate for young teenage girls.

    If I had young teenage daughters the best place for them would be Siam Square.
    They will be safe there, and feel comfortable with lots and lots of other teenagers around.
    The best mall in that area for cheap everything is Mah-Boon-Krong, referred to by the locals as "MBK".
    Start your girls out at MBK.
    They may not want to go anywhere else!

    There is a very nice hotel directly attached to MBK mall: Pathumwan Princess.
    http://www.precisionreservations.com...telDisplay.htm
    There is another good hotel just down the street, Novotel Bangkok at Siam Square.
    http://www.accorhotels-asia.com/1031...l/default.aspx
    (Important: there are several "Novotel" hotels in Bangkok. The one I am suggesting is the Siam Square location.)

    Within the immediate area there are several other malls, but more upscale - not fake or cheap.

    There was a suggestion earlier on this thread of Pratunam.
    Lots of people go there.
    It is hot, flithy, hot, crowded, hot, and ugly.
    But the prices can be cheap.
    I've been there once - that was enough.

    For your request, your best location is the Siam Square area of Bangkok.
    .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    McKinney, Texas
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Where to stay

    Hey Peter, some great tips there! I'm looking for a place near Lumphini park to go jogging in the morning and away from the busy distractions at night.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    4,890
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: Where to stay

    The main entrance to Lumpini Park is certainly near the 'busy distractions' at night...so if that's you're true intent, I'd avoid that side and look for something on the (north? upper?) side of the park. I'm sorry that I don't have my barings for direction.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Where to stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Pailin
    The main entrance to Lumpini Park is certainly near the 'busy distractions' at night...so if that's you're true intent, I'd avoid that side and look for something on the (north? upper?) side of the park.
    I second Pailin's suggestion for the North side of Lumpini Park.
    However, close to the park I know of only one hotel, the serviced-apartment Centre Point Langsuan.
    Further north of Lumpini, but certainly within jogging distance, there are many, nice hotels near Ploenchit and Chitlom: both stations on the BTS skytrain.
    That would be a very convenient area.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    happy Re: Where to stay

    Siam sq.area will be more kids friendly.But the hotels around there are more expensive.
    Last edited by moppet61; 21-09-06 at 12:16 PM.
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Where to stay

    Quote Originally Posted by moppet61
    I strongly agree what Peter has said.Siam sq.area will be more kids friendly.But the hotels around there are more expensive.
    I'm not setting out to hurt any feelings, but I'm afraid this will ...
    Even though moppet61 is kind enough to agree with me, I strongly dis-agree with her.
    Mistakes are inevitable, but looking thru some of her old posts, I am at odds with just about everything moppet61 writes about Bangkok.

    I live in Bangkok.
    I know some parts of this city very well and some parts moderately well.
    In many posts on this forum, when writing about Bangkok, moppet61 is either incomplete, misleading, or simply, wrong.
    Readers of this forum, who are planning a trip to Bangkok, should beware of her advice.

    As for this topic: it is simply wrong to flatly claim that hotels around Siam Sq. and MBK are more expensive.
    In response to the original post, I suggested two hotels that are 4-star, clean, modern, well-managed, with good security.
    In their price range they both offer good value for the money.
    One of them is located in the same building as MBK, so no need to even walk outside -- just take the elevator down.
    If I were coming to Bangkok with teenage daughters who needed to be entertained, that's where I'd stay.

    True, the hotels I suggested above are not the cheapest hotels in the area.
    There is a well-known lane of cheap, backpacker-style, guesthouses, right across the road:
    Soi Kassemsan 1 is directly across from MBK, and down the block from Siam Square -- just a few minutes walk to endless shopping.
    But would I stay in a place like that with teenage daughters?
    No.
    .
    Last edited by Peter4; 17-09-06 at 07:25 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    happy Re: Where to stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter4
    I'm not setting out to hurt any feelings, but I'm afraid this will ...
    Even though moppet61 is kind enough to agree with me, I strongly dis-agree with her.
    Mistakes are inevitable, but looking thru some of her old posts, I am at odds with just about everything moppet61 writes about Bangkok.

    I live in Bangkok.
    I know some parts of this city very well and some parts moderately well.
    In many posts on this forum, when writing about Bangkok, moppet61 is either incomplete, misleading, or simply, wrong.
    Readers of this forum, who are planning a trip to Bangkok, should beware of her advice.

    As for this topic: it is simply wrong to flatly claim that hotels around Siam Sq. and MBK are more expensive.
    In response to the original post, I suggested two hotels that are 4-star, clean, modern, well-managed, with good security.
    In their price range they both offer good value for the money.
    One of them is located in the same building as MBK, so no need to even walk outside -- just take the elevator down.
    If I were coming to Bangkok with teenage daughters who needed to be entertained, that's where I'd stay.

    True, the hotels I suggested above are not the cheapest hotels in the area.
    There is a well-known lane of cheap, backpacker-style, guesthouses, right across the road:
    Soi Kassemsan 1 is directly across from MBK, and down the block from Siam Square -- just a few minutes walk to endless shopping.
    But would I stay in a place like that with teenage daughters?
    No.
    .
    THANKsYOU Peter for your comment on me.You has flatten me.If you think I talk nonsense on Thailand,please accept my apology.But what I mean may not what you get.Misnomer I should say....
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    with love Re: Where to stay

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter4
    I'm not setting out to hurt any feelings, but I'm afraid this will ...
    Even though moppet61 is kind enough to agree with me, I strongly dis-agree with her.
    Mistakes are inevitable, but looking thru some of her old posts, I am at odds with just about everything moppet61 writes about Bangkok.

    I live in Bangkok.
    I know some parts of this city very well and some parts moderately well.
    In many posts on this forum, when writing about Bangkok, moppet61 is either incomplete, misleading, or simply, wrong.
    Readers of this forum, who are planning a trip to Bangkok, should beware of her advice.

    As for this topic: it is simply wrong to flatly claim that hotels around Siam Sq. and MBK are more expensive.

    .
    Here are your loop hole,I did not mention most expensive,I did mention more expensive.And they are hotels not motel or backpack stay.How you expect to suggest a mother with to kids to stay in a backpack motel.And what do you mean Beware of my advice.What advice did I faulty claim????Just bcoz you stay in BKK.longer,your words is louder than a tourist seen.If you does not like my claim,stay clear instead of throwing me into darkness.No Gentleman!!!
    Natthi Santiparam Sukham

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •