Thanks

Baby friendly Bangkok?

Hi,
    We're returning to Thailand in December this year and for the first time,we'll be bringing a baby(he'll be 14 months when we arrive).
    In the past,we've always brought an empty suitcase and bought everything in Bangkok as it's so cheap (and to stay within a meagre baggage allowance!)
    Are things like: baby buggies,(farang friendly)baby foods & baby clothes freely available and relatively cheap? and if so,where would you recommend going for them?
    Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Baby friendly Bangkok?

You don't often see baby buggies around the shopping malls. I mean people pushing them. It was one of the first things I noticed when I came here. It was like all the new mothers stayed at home for the first few years. You do sometimes see babies being carried in arms but not often in a buggy. However, it seems to be a little more common now. This might be because the sidewalk is so bad that it would be impossible for you to navigate. It was also difficult to buy baby seats for the car. However, things seem to be changing and you do sometimes see these items for sale. Try the big department stores like Central and also smaller shops along the sky train route on Sukhumwit Road. I think I did see a baby shop there somewhere. Obviously as there isn't a big demand they will be relatively expensive.

As for baby food and clothes, you should have no problems in the big hypermarkets such as Big C, Tesco Lotus and Carrefour. They sell both food and clothes as well as other items for babies.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have found a website called BAMBI that gives some good information about what to bring with you:

Nappies - nappies are cheaper in many countries than here in Bangkok - eg, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia.

Changing Wipes - the varieties here are fine. Boots Pharamacies sells a brand that is affordable and a good quality, but if you can bring your favorite with you, they are nice to have - even if it is a few weeks' or a month's supply.

Vapourisers/Steamers - not for available here - bring from home country (for colds, bronchialitis etc)

Baby and Toddler "Safety" Equipment and bits and pieces. Many things are not easy to find here or are not available at all; and the stringent safety standards of countries like the US and Australia are not applied to furniture, equipment etc here. If you're Australian bring the book Choice guide to baby products with you as a guide for purchasing here equipment such as cots, strollers, high chairs etc.

Baby Pyjamas and "all in one suits" - many of the sleeping suits for babies sold here have a Japanese style "wrap" top and potentially dangerous ties.

Strollers, Prams, Car Seats, Baby Swings etc are expensive here, so bring them if you can - but make sure those have been purchased with the local conditions in mind. Eg the badly maintained footpaths and the narrow pathways and narrow aisles in stores, and for getting onto the BTS via stairs and escalators. Narrow and sturdy is best for prams (eg short and narrow three wheelers - not the long jogging type)

Kids Toys. There are good quality and relatively inexpensive wooden toys available here - a couple of brands to look out for: Plan toys (from department stores like Central Chidlom and Emporium); and Mod Toys - furniture and large toys (outlet at Lai Lai Sap market in Silom). Imported tops, eg Lamaze, have a huge markup. Bring them; or buy them at the quite frequent department store sales.

Baby Medications - like teething gel, lotion for mosquito bites etc. Bring a stock of what you like to use with you as it may take some time to find an alternative you are happy with. Also if you have an infant, you may want to consider bringing some infant varieties of paracetamol and cold formulas which have the dosages written for you. You can get equivalent supplies from physicians, but if your child is feverish soon after you arrive, it may be more convenient to have familiar products on hand.

Source: http://www.bambi-bangkok.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow
    You don't often see baby buggies around the shopping malls.
    yup, baby buggies are not common in Thailand... in fact, my friend told me its expensive and he hand carry some from S'pore to sell at a profit! But then demand is low, so it didn't really take off....

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your help-i'd forgotten how bad the sidewalks are over there.......think i'll bring a heavy duty buggy!!!!

Thread Information