PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Living/Working in Thailand
    Thanks

Living/Working in Thailand

Hello, i'm thinking of moving to thailand in a few years (or perhaps take a vacation there first) but i'm wondering about a few things.

Currenly i'm studying for a bachelor (engineering) degree in network infrastructure designing (basically computer networks).

I'm guessing it will be very hard to work there without knowing any thais because their equipment etc. is written in thais ? Obviously it wouldn't be the only reason to start learning thai before going there, i read a few things on it and it seems like a very hard language to learn.

Are there any other networking / computer experts here who can tell me if it is easy to find a job & what the expected payment is ?

I basically wanna complete my study, work 6 months for paying of my study loans & building up a little pocket chance.

Thanks,
    Ralph

Thanks

Re: Living/Working in Thailand

I have a friend working for a major international company in Bangkok, he is a programmer and IT expert (his has a special field of expertise). he says foreigners are only in the management positions, he hasn't met another foreigner in a similar position in a year, and it is pretty hopeless unless you get a placement from a multinational from back in Europe. he got his current job because the branch of the very same company back home had sent him to Bangkok to hold a one-month training for Thais, after which the Thais were so satisfied they were begging him to stay. IT salaries for Thais start at around 25,000 baht a month, foreigners earn at least double. and of course all programs and equipment is in English anyway, even at Thai-only programming departments, and most university graduates speak English quite ok.
    it's not first-hand experience but at least some kind of reply to your questions.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sorry, but in Thailand there are many restrictions about what jobs foreigners can do. It would be very difficult for you to find work outside of teaching unless you are talking about a multinational firm. And often they only recruit you from abroad. To give you the job locally, the employer would have to show that you have skills that Thai people don't possess.

I would suggest you come here for a vaction first. Check out the wanted ads in The Nation and the Bangkok Post. Though a word of warning. Even though most ads are in English, you will see that many of the jobs are for native Thais only. . I would also suggest starting to learn Thai. It is not easy but it is a good idea to get some background before you come here. There is a lot of information in our other forums for learning thai.

Thanks

Ralph,

It appears that the majority of and/or all IT related jobs are not easy for foreigners to get unless you happend to be lucky working for a multinational consulting firm of some sort with an assignment in Thailand. It's cheaper to hire locally, no shortage of people with technical skills, and college degrees that you have to compete with. My US friend in the past has hired programmers with a masters degree and such for cheaper rates ($500/month) which is a lot of money, this is for a project based in the US that is. As Betti and Richard has indicated, foreigners can obtain jobs that Thai's themselves can't do such as teaching english.

Being a new graduate will also be tough also, especially in the US since most companies prefers individuals with some experience. You might have a better chance starting out with an IT consulting business and work up from there, have to start somewhere. One of the trends over here has been outsourcing to India and Asia but that has been mainly programming and call-center type jobs. Engineering and operations positions are always in the demand here in the US. Base on statistics I've read, IT is still growing and will be in demand for the next 10 years at least.

I've been in my IT career for over 10 years now and know the chances are low of having the same career in Thailand unless I'm *lucky* somehow. I'm looking forward to a new career in teaching so I can move back to Thailand some day, tired and exhausted in IT needless to say. My nationality is Lao/Tha, fluent in Lao with some Thai..learning though so it might help a little bit.

I've done the reading, researching, and bookmarking of sites regarding the topic. Hopefully it'll save some posts in response. Start with a trip out there and see how it is first.

Regards,

-Ed

Thanks

Thanks for the detailed answers. I'll guess i need to switch to teaching then

For me it's more in search of a nice place to spent the rest of my life (without having the hasted pace of some western countries). When i get to the point of graduating i'll start learning some basic thai and make a trip (read holiday) there.

In the meanwhile i'm just going to read up on thai culture & stuff like that (reading forums & blogs for usefull information).

Thanks

im a finance major hoping to find some type of job with a multinational bank in thailand. anyone know anything about expat jobs in the banking/finance fields?

Thread Information