PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Moving to Thailand after Retiring and SSI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Moving to Thailand after Retiring and SSI

Can anyone who is retired living in Thailand and receiving SSI tell me if you report to the Social Security Administration office that you are moving out of the county, do they reduce the amount of money you receive? Both my parents are retired and receiving retirement pensions and SSI. They are permanently moving to Korat in about two weeks. I am worried if the Social Security administration finds out they will reduce their checks.
    Also if they report their move can they stop paying into Medicare since they wont be using it in Thailand, SSI takes out about $1,000 per year for Medicare from my dad SSI. I would appreciate any responses. Kup koon kha.
    Last edited by sampao; 14-09-06 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks

Re: Moving to Thailand after Retiring and SSI

SSI, supplemental security income is only payable in the US. SS rules require anyone who is moving out of country and drawing social security to report the move to them. If the father or mother is not a US citizen the non citizen could loose their immgrant status. Sampao, SSI is a small payment. usually less than $700 Can't see how he's having $9000 deducted from his SSI for for medicare.The deduction would come from Social Security. And that's about 1000 dollars or so. Sampo, your in modesto ca. I would go to the nearest social security office soon, Ask the right questions. But, as you know, ya can't force some one to listen and heed what you've got to say., after you get info from the SS office.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply, both my parents are us citizens, my mother is Thai and my Father is Irish. I may be wrong abut the amount deducted for medicare but both my parents recive just a little over $1000/mo. from ssi.

Thanks

Sampao, that 1000 dollars "each" for SSI is very high. SSI is, for the very poor. They may have something in the closet there not telling yu about.

Thanks

If you are on SSA retirement income you can draw it about anywhere in the world.
    And yes you can stop payment on Medicare as you can't use it here so is money thrown away. But you will have to acknowledge that there are restrictions if you want to reinstate medicare.

Yes you will have to tell them that you are living outside of the USA, and furnish them with an address where you will be living, I had an E Mail address of a person in the SSA office and I moved and then did it online after I was here and had an address.

You will have to have a US bank account for the SSA to direct deposit for your checks in the USA as Thailand Banking has no Electronic Routing Codes so direct deposit is not possible here and a paper check costs money to process here and takes a lot of time.

You will have to have a Thai bank account to satisfy Thai immigration and you can transfer the money from your american bank to your Thai bank account very easily with an ATM/DEBIT CARD at minimal cost.

After your move you can easily access SSA in Manila either by phone or online to do anything you want on your SSA accounts, but I would get an E addy for someone in the office in Modesto that you have spoken to face to face and then they will know it is you and do what ever you want that way.

I hope this answers your questions, if not feel free to post and they will be answered by someone who lives here.

Thanks

Thank you so much. I have found out more information in just a few mins that I have from monts of research. Sorry they do recive Social Secerity retierment benefits not disibilty. I get them confused. Also thay have already recived their Thai long stay visa from our local Thai consolate office in Los Angeles, and also have bank accounts at Siam Bank.

Thanks

FI P, medicare is used by military retires in thailand. New program started a few years ago. Claims are processed thru a tri-care office at the jusmag compound in bangkok. Retired military must pay part B. The person who asked the question is not going to thailand. It's his mom and dad. He's trying to assist his parents. He's concerned about them. The SSA is developing a system in numerous countries to allow direct deposit in foreign banks. Thailand was mentioned as being one of them. I don't know what method will be used to transfer the ssa money.

Thanks

That might be so, but he never asked about retired military of a military pension, so I just answered to the best of my knowledge what questions he asked, and it makes no difference if it is for his parents or himself, the rules apply to all.
    I just stated what are the rules and possibilities today, not what is coming in the future, or what might be possible tomorrow.
    Some of the actual info is hard enough with out adding in all the things they do or might do.

But $1000 a month is not nearly enough to qualify for a retirement visa, and both people will have to 65,000 baht a month income, but due to the fact that his mom is Thai and has a Thai ID card she will require no visa so it is possible to count both SSA incomes as one if they both go into one direct deposit account, as the embassy never asks for proof, just verify that what you say is true and stamp the notary seal on it and charge you $50.

But that is beyond my expertise and no telling what they will do, so come, see, and then figure out what can be done..

Thanks

Not barking at ya fip. It's the "absolute's that make me scratch my head, like all the time and always. Medicare can't be used here. That sort of thing. You bring up a good point about both parents have long stay visa's . Both are US citizens and the mother is thai. /wonder what kind of long stay visa the mother has? But, sampao says they do "have" long stay visa's even with the low income level. None has said the mom has a thai I.D. card or a thai passport. I would not, myself claim expertise on anything. Just some experience in certain matters. No certainties.

Thanks

Wow thanks again for all the responses. To clarify a few things I am a she, Ms. Sampao Murphy. My mother does have a Thai ID and the visa is for my father only and he is a Veteran. My father served 15 years in the US Marine Corps that’s how he met my mom. I need to make a decision fast because as I stated they are leaving in two weeks but we are having trouble getting the address to the house their niece has rented for them correctly translated. Anyone know a good website for street maps in Thailand?

Thread Information