PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
sour mango

Thread: sour mango

Thanks

sour mango

I bought some sour green mango and now I would like to serve it with the spicy sugar/salt mixture. Is there anything else apart from sugar, salt and chillies inside? How much salt? And do you usually use fresh chillies or dried?

As I want to serve it tonight, there's no time to go buy the mixture. I'd like to do it myself.

Thanks in advance!
    life is wonderful!

Thanks

Re: sour mango

I haven't use the following recipe myself, just got it from this site.
    http://www.kruaklaibaan.com/forum/in...D2%CB%C7%D2%B9
    I like it there because it shows the picture of ingredients and sometimes also step-by-step photos, though the language is in Thai, hence I translate the ingredient here ... (all the credit goes to original poster in above website, I am only translating )
    ◊ น้ำตาลปี๊บ ๑/๒ ถ้วย (palm sugar 1/2 cup)
    ◊ น้ำตาลทรายแดง ๑/๒ ถ้วย (brown sugar 1/2 cup)
    ◊ น้ำเปล่า ๑/๔ ถ้วย (water 1/4 cup)
    ◊ น้ำปลาดี ปริมาณตามชอบ (fish sauce, to your taste)
    ◊ กะปิ ๑ ช้อนโต๊ะ (shrimp paste 1 tablespoon)
    ◊ กุ้งแห้งป่นฟูู ๑/๒ ถ้วย (dry shrimp; grind, 1/2 cup)
    ◊ กุ้งแห้งเป็นตัวๆพอประมาณ (dry shrimp; whole, just what you think it's enough)
    ◊ พริกป่น ๒ ช้อนโต๊ะ (chilli powder 2 tablespoon)
    ◊ พริกแห้งเม็ดใหญ่หั่นบางๆ (large dry chilli, sliced)
    ◊ หอมแดงซอยบางๆ (shallot, sliced)
    ◊ พริกขี้หนููสดซอย พอประมาณ (bird's eye chilli, sliced)
    ◊ มะม่วงล้างให้สะอาด ปอกเปลือก ฝานบางๆ (mango, cleaned and peeled; sliced)

(1) เคี่ยวน้ำปลาหวานโดย นำน้ำตาลทรายแดง น้ำตาลปี๊บ น้ำเปล่า ใส่หม้อ ตั้งไฟเคี่ยวสักพัก พอน้ำตาลละลายเข้ากันดี เติมน้ำปลา กะปิ ชิมรสให้รสหวานนำเค็ม เคี่ยวต่อไปเรื่อยๆใส่พริกป่น เคี่ยวต่อจนเหนียวขนาดนี้ค่ะ
    (add brown sugar, palm sugar and water in a pot and simmer for a bit until they all melted together, then add fish sauce, shrimp paste and taste; try to make the sweeter taste more than the salty. Simmer a bit more and add chilli powder, simmer until sticky (as seen in photo)

(2) ลองใช้ช้อนที่คนตักขึ้นแล้วเทดูู ถ้าน้ำตาลเหนียวเคลือบช้อนและเนียนก็ใช้ได้ค่ะ เสร็จแล้วทิ้งไว้ให้เย็นจึงใส่กุ้งแห้งป่น คนให้เข้ากัน ใส่พริกแห้งหั่นบาง ใส่พริกขี้หนููสด ใส่กุ้งแห้งตัวๆคนให้เข้ากันใส่หอมแดงซอย ก็นำไปกินกับมะม่วงได้แล้วค่ะ
    (Use the spoon to taste the stickiness, if the syrup coat the back of the spoon, it's ready. Leave it to cool. When it's cool, add grinded dry shrimp and stir. Then add the rest of ingredient.)
    TK

Thanks

so to answer your questions
    (1) there is no salt, use fish sauce instead.
    (2) in above recipe, they use both dry and fresh chilli, but IMO dry chilli is more important ingredient and you can leave out fresh one.
    (3) apart from sugar, fish sauce and chilli, to me dry shrimp, shrimp paste and shallot are other main ingredient. I can do without shrimp paste though if I ran out. And I prefer to fry shallot to make it crispy first.
    TK

Thanks

There is also another recipe here (also with instruction photos)
    http://topicstock.pantip.com/jatujak.../J3585640.html

(it is similar with the first one except they don't use shrimp paste, and they said you can use either dried or frest chilli.)
    TK

Thanks

Thank you so much for this!

However, I was thinking about the dry one (not actually a sauce), the one most street vendors give you when you buy fruit. I think they put only sugar, salt and chillies inside, no liquids. But I wasn't sure, so I wanted to check here. Last time I made it I just couldn't get the taste as perfect as it should be.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify which one I meant! But still, thank you for the recipe... I will try it some time!
    life is wonderful!

Thanks

Oh... that one. yeah it just made from salt, sugar and chilli powder. I don't know the exact amount though because I always just guess it to my taste
    TK

Thread Information