PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Questions about Lotus SPK hotel & Safety
    Thanks

so happy! Questions about Lotus SPK hotel & Safety

I'm traveling to Chiang Mai in November with three other women, 2 Americans and two native Thais. We are staying at the Lotus SPK. We couldn't get the superior rooms but I'm thinking we will survive. I've obviously never been to Thailand and haven't been out of the USA since I was a child. What a culture shock this will be. I'm looking forward to it and I'm scared to death at the same time.

My questions are:
    1- Is the neighborhood around the Lotus SPK safe?
    2- Reviews are mixed about the hotel but it was the best we could get for the money and to make reservations that we were sure of. Any idea what we kind of hotel we are going to?
    3- Money, money, money. Can I safely leave money in the hotel room? (not out in the open but tucked away somewhere) Should I travel with all my money and passport on me at all times? I have a waist wallet and special spots to stash cash.
    4- Is it safe to leave prescription medicines in the hotel room? Should I also hide them, not leave them in the suitcase?
    5- We are going to the Night Bizarre. Are there places to eat that are safe (not to get a runny rear) to eat at? If so, where? And is there a dish you might recommend that is reasonably safe to eat? I don't want to sound paranoid I just don't want to a) upset my Thai friends who are wonderful and sweet and/or b) upset the trip by getting ill, if I can avoid it. I like fruit, if I peel it, can I eat it without worry? We recently had a fruit and veg scare here in the USA.
    6- Any other Chiang Mai tips?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Sunday in the Lone Star State

Thanks

Re: Questions about Lotus SPK hotel & Safety

hello again sunday!

I cant answer allyour q's about chiang mai but here are a couple. Don't leave money in the hotel room, you can use the hotel safe if you need to. But it is better not to have so much money in the first place. ATM's are everywhere and i believe you will get a good exchange rate like that.
    Prescription medicines should be ok, medicines are easy to get hold of in thailand and your medicine can probably be bought over the counter here.
    food in the market should be fine, if the place is full of thais the food will be good.
    Good luck

Thanks

All of Thailand is mostly safe, Do not carry more cash than you will need for the day if you are worried, just draw what you need daily from an ATM, they are all over. or use your debit card as most places will take them or credit cards.
    You being from Texas should be able to eat what you want, where you want.

If you are going to be with "Native Thia's" why not listen to them about what to drink, what to eat, and where to go instead of asking a bunch of questions on a forum where you know no one and are liable to get bad info as a lot of folks on here are just tourists like yourself.

No worry about meds, if you want drugs, you can buy em cheap and a lot less trouble than stealing em. and prescription drugs are about 10% of what you pay in the states.

Thanks

And if all else fails there is both an English and an Irish pub in the night market

Thanks

In reply to FaranginPhetch,
    "If you are going to be with "Native Thia's" why not listen to them about what to drink, what to eat, and where to go instead of asking a bunch of questions on a forum where you know no one and are liable to get bad info as a lot of folks on here are just tourists like yourself."

First, I can figure from the replies I'm given that many of you aren't tourists, and your location name gives you away. Still, you could all be giving me bad advice. You could all be a bunch of lunatics bent on world domination, but I highly doubt it. Having said that I take everything with a grain of salt. I can take advice or ignore it because I don't know you. You have no emotional stake in me asking.

I do, however, want to keep the peace between all four of us women. You should know that isn't always easy even when all of us were native born Americans. Throw in different value systems and it may not turn out pretty. The last thing I want to do is get frustrated not knowing what the heck to do and show that frustration to my Thai friends.

And why don't I ask my Thai friends all these questions: The biggest reason is I don't want to offend them. I really don't want to be another rude, insulting American asking questions that may or may not cause problems between friends.

Secondly, though one friend speaks fair English, her cousin speaks little English. I don't always understand my friend at the best of times. She not only doesn't always pronunciate words that I would understand, she has a lisp in her speech because of an overbite. Recently she kept saying "we need to keep pow down on plane over." I didn't understand what "pow" was. I kept asking her to repeat it. It turned out she was saying pounds (weight measurement) referring to the amount of 'stuff' we can take back with us. I was embarrassed that I kept asking her the same question over and over.

So, thank you all for the advice. I will put it to good use. And you can all go now and complete world domination, just leave a little corner of it for us idiots.

And Peterg, it's great to know I might be able to get Shepard's Pie anywhere.

Thanks

Very well, I will do just that, what ever it is..

Have a fun trip..

Thanks

I think it's normal to have these concerns when going someplace new and just starting out on world travel. And isn't this where people should come for answers and to be reassured? Keep the questions coming, Sunday!

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

Sunday, I have no direct experience of the hotel, but it is part of/adjacent to one of Chiangmai's larger shopping malls.
    Shop till you drop, eat till you burst, bowl if you fancy, or take in a movie or three, and all without stepping out on the street! But it would be a shame if you did not!
    (Actually met a tourist there in Januaruy who was proud of the fact that he had not been outside for five days!)
    Have fun, enjoy.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunday
    My questions are:
    1- Is the neighborhood around the Lotus SPK safe?
    i've stayed in Lotus SPK in Chaing Mai before... its nice.. old but nice... there's a shopping mall just beside.... but then its not very near the Night Bazzaar.
    2- Reviews are mixed about the hotel but it was the best we could get for the money and to make reservations that we were sure of. Any idea what we kind of hotel we are going to?
    The room if I can remember is very decent and clean... at least a 3 to 4 star.... with free fresh fruits....
    3- Money, money, money. Can I safely leave money in the hotel room? (not out in the open but tucked away somewhere) Should I travel with all my money and passport on me at all times? I have a waist wallet and special spots to stash cash.
    There should be a safe for you to keep some money and your important documents.....
    4- Is it safe to leave prescription medicines in the hotel room? Should I also hide them, not leave them in the suitcase?
    I've not experienced any lost of personal effects from any of my short trips as yet...
    5- We are going to the Night Bizarre. Are there places to eat that are safe (not to get a runny rear) to eat at? If so, where? And is there a dish you might recommend that is reasonably safe to eat? I don't want to sound paranoid I just don't want to a) upset my Thai friends who are wonderful and sweet and/or b) upset the trip by getting ill, if I can avoid it. I like fruit, if I peel it, can I eat it without worry? We recently had a fruit and veg scare here in the USA.
    Nowadays if I travel to Chiang Mai, I'll stay in Central Duangtawan... nice 3 star hotel (or 4?) at only less than 1,500THB.. its just walking distance to the Night Bazzaar... I'm not sure about the "restaurants" there... I don't really find any "nice" ones at the Night Bazzaar.. but I'll recommend "Good View" or "Riverside"... I don't know the exact address for these 2 restaurants but its famous in Chiang Mai.... you can ask those tuk tuk drivers.
    As for Thai food... Tom Yum Koong is a must try... Som-Tum (papaya salad).... grilled chicken.... grilled pork..... fried fish with sweet and sour sauce..... so many....
    6- Any other Chiang Mai tips? .
    Ya, go see and ride the elephants and visit those minority villages.
    Last edited by BUCKY; 18-10-06 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks

So, thank you all for the advice. I will put it to good use. And you can all go now and complete world domination, just leave a little corner of it for us idiots.
    very well, But that isn't us, I thought that it was your Washington DC.

Thread Information