Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

so happy! Shopping in Thailand

I will be travel to Thailand in 3 weeks and I am very excited about it. Since I don't know much about Thailand that why I want to ask couple of questions.

First of all my girl friend is crazy about Juicy Couture Band. Do they sale it over there in Thailand if so where can I find it? Are they expensive compare to US? (How about knock off?)

Also I want to know how much should I bring to Thailand in order for me to be comfortable, $300-$500? (such as buy food, transportations, and shopping).

Oh yeah feel free to give me any suggestion and comments since I don't know much about Thailand. Thanks all.

Thanks

Re: Shopping in Thailand

If you are going to do much shopping better bring more than that, unless you meant a day. Best to bring an ATM card, they are used a lot here and no trouble finding an ATM.
    Be careful of the pirate stuff as I hear that they are getting tough on it when you get home,,now thats what I have heard,,don't know myself, and knockoff cloths are just junk and shrink bad when washed.
    Just have a good time tho..

St Andrews, Scotland / Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
    Thanks

Greetings:
    Being a guy, I am unsure if they even sell Juicy and off the top of my head didn't see it around (coming from NY, I know exactly what it looks like). The places that I would recommend would be 1) Robinsons (Sukhumvit Soi 17), 2) Siam Square which has Siam Center/Siam Discovery Center, MBK Center and Siam Paragon, 3) World Trade Center (near Siam Square), 4) Emporium (Sukhumvit Soi 30), 4) Gaysorn Plaza (Ratchaprasong Junction. BTS Skytrain: Chitlom) which is where you are most likely to find what you are looking for. These places are the least to have fakes and pirate things.

I would recommend a card in case. For example, depending on where you go the food can be really cheap or cost a fortune. It also depends a lot on where you stay - the local stores will be significantly cheaper than tourist stores. Things like taxi's start at 35 baht (less than $1) and there is not much traveling to do within BKK itself. BTS for example can cost no more than 60 baht or so each way ($1.50 or so). As for shopping, it can get expensive for the real stores and depends on how much you like to shop....

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, Ill do my best...
    Andrew

Thanks

Notice! Re: Shopping in Thailand

Thanks FaranginPhetch. I was think about $300 to $500 per person for about 10 days in Thailand. Yes that all, I am going there for. I wish I could stay longer but I can't with my work schedule and everything. Plus I will try to control my girl friend spending if I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mail6245
    First of all my girl friend is crazy about Juicy Couture Band. Do they sale it over there in Thailand if so where can I find it? Are they expensive compare to US? (How about knock off?)

Also I want to know how much should I bring to Thailand in order for me to be comfortable, $300-$500? (such as buy food, transportations, and shopping).

Oh yeah feel free to give me any suggestion and comments since I don't know much about Thailand. Thanks all.
    Hi, yes they do have Juicy Couture in BKK, I'm a Juicy fan myself. I am pretty sure I saw it in the big department store at Siam Paragon. I recall it was a bit more expensive than in the US after exchange so I didn't buy any. I saw some knockoffs in MBK that looked like knockoffs, a Juicy fanatic would see the difference immediately. I'd stick to buying it here in the states from Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, etc. You'll like having the exchange policy here rather than having to go back to Thailand.

If all you did was eat cheap food and take public transportation then $300 could get you by for 10 days. Figure about $5-10 for taxi, skytrain, and subway for each day you are there (this is a high estimate IMO). If you ate at foodcourts, maybe $1-2 per meal (combo meal at McDonalds is ~$2.50). $300 for 10 days is a budget of $30 per day eating and getting around so it can easily be done.

Thanks

If it is your first time in Thailand, I would be careful about the local food. Take it easy because I know a lot of peopel who have been sick from the difference of the countries...Also in terms of customs and immigration back in the USA, you can only enter with so much clothing and items before you have to declare it (up to you and i am not sure how much it is...)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thaibook
    If it is your first time in Thailand, I would be careful about the local food. Take it easy because I know a lot of peopel who have been sick from the difference of the countries...Also in terms of customs and immigration back in the USA, you can only enter with so much clothing and items before you have to declare it (up to you and i am not sure how much it is...)
    You have to declare everything you have purchased outside of the United States with $400 being the duty free allowance. Most of the time you can make an oral declaration when the customs man takes your declaration but there are a number of categories on the form that need to indicated if you have items within those categories in your possession. i.e. plants, foodstuffs, meat, etc.

I came back from the UK one time with around $2,000 dollars worth of car parts and 3 pork pies. I duly declared the stuff I had and the pork pies were confiscated, they didn't bother with charging duty on the car parts. Looked forward to eating the pork pies was my guess!

Of course a great number of people do not follow the rules as was the case when raw meat was brought into the UK and caused the last major outbreak of foot and mouth a few years back.

Thanks

Yes, and as Thaibook said,,watch the food, not cooked in to sanitary a fashion or place and being from USA you will not have any immune set up for all the bacteria that will go down the gullet, plus SPICY most of it.
    I know a lady that came from San Diego, came to my town on a bus and had my number so called me, she stayed at our house for a couple of days because she didn't speak Thai and was scared to death of going out, well we finally got rid of her and she went to BKK and was there for 2 days, the hospital for a couple of days and still sick as a dog on a plane for LA.

Thanks

hmmm Thanks all for your help. It's all pretty helpful stuff. I think maybe I should bring more money than $400 I was mention, from the sound of it I don't think it enough. However FaranginPhetch mention something about ATM card. I was wondering how is that work with the rate, fee and all? What about Debit Card?

Thanks

Greetings - I think you would probably save money with using a card rather than the exchange rate fees at some places. From what I have seen, some of the fees are nonexistant and are issued by your card and not the machine. There are ATM's basically EVERYWHERE in BKK so you will have no problem at all finding a place to withdraw money. Debit card is probably better because you can only spend what you have...Regards, Andrew

Thread Information