PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Tup Tim Fish Recipe
    Thanks

Tup Tim Fish Recipe

When I was in Thailand I had a wonderful fish and I can't remember the exact name or recipe. It was something like Top Tim or Tup Tim maybe pow guay or something. Can anyone help me remember the fish and the recipe. Thanks so much. Bruce

Thanks

Re: Tup Tim Fish Recipe

As far as I know, Pla Tuptim is the Red Devil fish (Tilapia), and I guess there are several ways to prepare it. "tuptim" in Thai means ruby. Check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia..._Asian_cuisine

But I don't have any recipe, sorry. Maybe somebody else knows...
    life is wonderful!

Thanks

Yes, there are several ways to prepare it.

And these are some of my Pla Tub Tim recipes kha (hope not much spicy for farangs,you can reduce chille and garlic if you not prefer it.)

ปลาทับทิมสามรส
    Pla Tub Tim Sam Ros (Deep fried Fish with Sweet & Sour Sauce)

Marinade:

3 tablespoons oyster sauce
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons tempura flour

Clean fish and make diagonal slashes (almost to the bone) 2 inches apart on both sides of fish.Dredge the fish in the marinade and leave to stand for about an hour so that the fish is infused with the flavour.

Ingredients

1 kg whole fish
    1 cup pork belly sliced into strips
    2 green garlics or onions, sliced into 1 inch lengths
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons red prik chi fa - chopped
    2 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 teaspoon palm sugar
    3 teaspoon sour tamarind (paste, peeled, seeds and fibers discarded)
    1/4 cup bai phak chi (coriander/cilantro leaves) – chopped
    1/2 cup of corn flour mixed in water

Heat oil for deep frying in a deep skillet or large wok over medium heat until the fish crispy. Remove the fish, drain the excess oil, and place on the serving platter that lined with lettuce and encircled by tomato slices.

Heat oil in a frying pan, add chopped garlic and prik chi fa , stir-fry until fragrant, then add the pork and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes and bring to a gentle boil. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, sour tamarind, rice flour and continue stirring until all the paste have well mixed in and thoroughly heated. Add green garlic and remove from the heat. Pour over the fish.

Sprinkle the pepper and scatter bai phak chee leaves over the fish, serve with steamed jasmine rice while hot.
    " Every morning dedicate positive things, and during the whole day make a wish that we will always be of benefits to sentient beings. We will be helpful to any being in different ways."

Thanks

ปลาทับทิมนึ่งมะนาว
    Pla TubTim Neung Manoaw (Steamed fish in Garlic lime sauce)

Ingredients
    1 kg whole fish
    10 small prik ki nu – diced
    8 cloves garlic - finely slivered
    2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
    4 tablespoons lime juice
    1/2 cup clear broth
    2 green onions -- sliced into 1 inch lengths

Clean fish and make diagonal slashes (almost to the bone) 2 inches apart on both sides of fish. Set fish on a heat-proof plate. Mix together chiles, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice and clear broth. Adjust for a predominantly sour taste. Pour over fish and steam until meat by the bone is opaque white, fish is done, then scatter green onions and lemon grass over fish. Cover tightly 20 sec. and remove from the heat. Scatter bai phak chee leaves over the fish and garnish with long sliced fresh prik chi fa, serve with cooking juices while hot.
    " Every morning dedicate positive things, and during the whole day make a wish that we will always be of benefits to sentient beings. We will be helpful to any being in different ways."

Thanks

ปลาทับทิมเปรี้ยวหวาน
    Pla Tub Tim Priaw Wan (Sweet and Sour Fish)

Marinade:

2 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons tempura flour

Dredge the fish in the marinade and leave to stand for about an hour so that the fish is infused with the flavour.

Heat oil for deep frying in a deep skillet or large wok over medium heat, and when it is hot, add the fish, turning once, until cooked through. Remove the fish, drain the excess oil, and place on the serving platter.

Ingredients:

1 onion-- chopped
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    2 tablespoons tomato catsup
    1/2 cup clear broth
    1 sweet pepper-- chopped
    1/2 cup pineapple pieces
    1/3 cup small fresh button mushrooms-- thinly sliced lengthwise

Heat oil in a frying pan, add onion and sweet pepper, stir-fry until fragrant, then add the remaining ingredients, except the pineapple and simmer until slightly reduced. Add about a tablespoon of cornstarch or rice flour to thicken the sauce, then add the pineapple and heat through. Pour over the fish.Serve with steamed jasmine rice while hot.

Thanks

I went and done as Thai fish cooking course which I documented in a blog herehttp://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php?...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1.
    There was one recipe we cooked with Tab Tim (Snapper) which was

Tab Tim neung Khing (steamed snapper with ginger and shitake mushrooms)
    It was delicious, I even cook it for my Thai friends who complement me on it.

Need:-
    1 red snapper (or suitably sized fresh water fish)
    handfull grated ginger
    vegetarian mushroom sauce
    coriander root, clove of garlic and 10ish black pepper corns
    2-3 mouse shit chillies
    6 shitake mushrooms
    sliced carrot
    salt and sugar

You have to
    clean fish thoroughly
    slice as in the above recipe (neung manao)
    rub with salt and sugar inside and out * note it is a fresh water fish salt makes all the difference
    pound coriander root, garlic and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle thoroughly then rub over the inside and outside of fish
    rub all over with mushroom sauce, its very thick and i have not seen it many places, but is absolutely delicious
    Put the fish on the plate it is to be steamed on
    Chop the shitake and carrot and arrange around the fish
    Cover with grated ginger
    Optional cover with cabbage leaves. they release moisture and give a good flavour.
    Add chopped chillies.
    Steam for 20mins, job done

I was taught this by an ex5* chef who is now my Thai surrogate aunty whenever i visit BKK. It is really tasty

Thread Information