Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    St Andrews, Scotland / Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
    Thanks

Peanuts in Thailand

As I sit here at school in the UK with a nice cup of tea and some "monkey nuts" as they call them here or peanuts back at home in the USA, I have a question to ask about Thai peanuts.

Does anyone else not enjoy the wet and soggy peanuts in Thailand? I know I much prefer them dry but why is it that in Thailand they are wet and soggy? Is there any reason behind this?

Just a curious mind wanting to know...

Thanks

Re: Peanuts in Thailand

Those boiled peanuts are pretty good. I usually buy a bag if I happen across a vendor selling them. I'd eat more here at home too if I didn't have to prepare them. Maybe one day I'll give it a try from one of the recipes on the net. Seems they're popular in other asian countries also.

Thanks

I just love those boiled peanuts. To me, they are much better than roasted kind. I can't make them here because they have be fresh peanuts and they are only available in the southern states. I was watching a cooking show and Paula Dean was preparing boiled peanuts for snack. I was so jealous. I even considered growing my own peanuts once just so that I can make my own boiled peanuts. But I discovered that my growing season is not long enough for the peanuts to mature. Can you tell I love boiled peanuts?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,761 Posts

I made the mistake of buying a big bag of what I thought were ordinary peanuts at a roadside stall, turned out to be soggy with a sour taste. I was told later they were steamed ready for use in cooking and were not meant for snacks. I threw mine away.

Thanks

In the southern states in the US they have mostly Boiled Peanuts, I like em, but here they do not put enough salt in the water and sometimes they haven't boiled long enough, so if I want some, just boil up some salt water and cook for another 30 minutes.

I have also bought fresh peanuts in stores in the states and boiled them myself but they have to be this years crop or you will have to boil them for 3 hours, but it does work, same as boiling beans, the older they are, the longer you have to boil em.

We always have a bag in the fridge as my parrot loves em too.

Thanks

Well they're OKish.... but I much prefer dry ones, but my favourite has to be yam met ma muang, spicy cashew nut salad, with lots of salt chilli and scallions.

Don't know why they boil or steam them here, maybe because no-one really uses ovens much if at all...

But you can get roast chestnuts here all year round, this is something I associate just for xmas and haven't tried them yet, I did look for some last xmas day but as luck would have it couldn't find any

Thanks

I have to vote for the boiled kind if made correctly. I usually make my own for snacking/ Dry is okay;but my choice is the B ones

Thanks

We got some of the chestnuts last year when we were in Pattaya for a couple of days, but they were not roasted but kinda steamed, I liked em, I also used to get them when I was a kid from an Italian family who I was dating their daughter, they simmered them in Dago Red wine and they were fine eating and I continue to make them that way even today when I can get some.

Thanks

there are "normal" peanuts as well - at 7-eleven

Thanks

Notice! Re: Peanuts in Thailand

how could they be "normal" when they are nuts......
    จิตใจที่ยิ่งใหญ่วิพากษ์วิจารณ์ความคิด
    จิตใจสามัญวิพากษ์วิจารณ์เหตุการณ์
    แต่จิตใจที่ต่ำต้อยนั้นวิจารณ์เพียงผู้คน

Thread Information