Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Foreign husbands bring big changes to Isaan

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    I don't think anyone said BETTER But Different,,variety is the spice of life, you just came from GB or US, throw your ticket away, move up to a small village away from all farang stuff, and just see after a few years if a hamburger would n't taste OK.
    Absolutely would, I cook a mean hamburger

And BTW, don't get me wrong, I like food period. I will pretty much eat anything as long as it's not moving or has had more than four legs (crustacea exluded). Only last night I sat down to steak, egg, chips and beans at a small "farang" restaurant/bar called the Winking Frog on Sukhumvit Soi 7. And, after being on Thai food for the last week, it tasted delicous.
    Last edited by Peterg; 20-11-06 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks

Absolutely would, I cook a mean hamburger
    Yea Peter, but you have to have something "mean" to cook to make it.
    A few years ago I had that very idea, so I saw some ground beef in the meat case at Carrefour, it looked kinda funny but I bought some, took it home, sliced some onion and mixed a small bit in the hamburger, it was ground to fine, almost slime, but I fried it and it tasted just like Thai beef, I don't think a dog would have ate the stinking stuff, so that idea went out with the meat.
    What you end up with is never any better than the stuff you put in it..

There must be some Thai beef that tastes PK, but I have never found any, no one in my family would eat beef, my wife and kid thought I was nuts for ordering 30 KG of beef steaks from NZ and Argentina, When we got it, I cooked some steaks and they tried it, now our kid won't eat pork more than twice a week and bitches for beef steaks every meal.
    She likes it Rare, wife med rare, and I sliced some thin and maranated it for Bul Kogi and now the whole family looks at what I am cooking everytime I start a charcoal fire.
    So Thai will eat beef, just not Thai beef.

Thanks

btw, I think there is much more to decent farang food than hamburger, chips and pizzas. lets not get this wrong.

and I'd like to ask Brits if they only eat kidney pie, fish and chips, raw steak with gravy, boiled veg, and oatmeal, or is it acceptable that they have adopted and enjoy food from around the world. just for the sake of establishing a principle. or should potatoes and tomatoes still only be consumed in America as 500 years ago?

accidentally, I have found that most simple Thais I know (colleagues and a few Isaan friends, not posh Bangkok folks) like to stick with their Thai food. they occasionally try other dishes, but they do not feel comfortable outside the well-known range of flavours. you can take them to buffet dinner and they will head for the Thai food section. I've had this experience many times. they say farang food is too mild.

I've been at home now for four days with severe diarrhea and other related stuff (virus going round at school, has sent half our kids to doctors already), and I could kill for some salted boiled potatoes with a little bit of butter. or a real chicken soup with lotsa carrots. simple sponge cake. egg-and-flour round noodles with a little bit of cheese. but I have no kitchen and nobody to help me out, so here I am stuck with rice soup, which is fine, but.... (I should buy a small electric stove, trouble is, haven't seen one anywhere.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,573 Posts

Just a suggestion, Betti-how about one of those Camping Gaz stoves for emergencies ? -at least you can do some simple things with it like heat soup or boil up some noodles.

Possibly available here ? (if it still exists)
    M Travel Gear
    147/9-10 Chang Khlan Rd.,
    A. Muang,
    Chiang Mai 50100

Thanks

thanks. I'll check it out. sorry I'm off topic all the time. it's so easy to stray away from the orginial issues.

Thanks

OK, but here they do have small single burner gas cookers that would serve the same purpose as an electric one, we call them "HOT PLATES" in the states, they have some over at our friends shop [Sunee cousin] that are catalytic looking things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch
    OK, but here they do have small single burner gas cookers that would serve the same purpose as an electric one, we call them "HOT PLATES" in the states, they have some over at our friends shop [Sunee cousin] that are catalytic looking things.
    Sounds better and probably cheaper than camping gaz-and bigger bottles of gas?

Thanks

volunteers needed for carrying gas cylinders to 4th floor then

Thanks

Betti, they also use here a small orange color bottle that is filled with cooking gas that is only about a gallon or 2 and they weigh almost nothing [5 KG maybe] and you wouldn't have to change em often,, just an Idea tho..

Thanks

Thats the size I had in mind also, FIP-not the knee high size- I have actually carried the bigger ones up flights of stairs in the past -for a room heater-no fun-especially when they have been stood outside in winter and are freezing cold!

Thread Information