PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Cost of Living in Bangkok
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

thumbs up Cost of Living in Bangkok

Hello Friends,

i am shifting to bagkok for official purpose for minimum 6 months. Currently i am in india (North India). I will shift to bangkok next month.

Lot of question are going around in my mind. Will anybody please help me in getting answers of below mentinoed questions.

1. what type of food habits people have in Bangkok?
    2. Will indian food is available in Bangkok? will being an indian will be able to survive with thai food?
    3. i have come to know about that, there are lot of indian stying in Bangkok, any india society is there in Bangkok, where i can stay or can take a house / flat on rent?
    4. How much money would be sufficient to survive in bangkok, and what is Percapita Income in Thailand.
    5. Is the behaviour of Thai peoples against indian is good?

please help me in getting answers to all these questions.

Warm Regards,
    Nisman.

St Andrews, Scotland / Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
    Thanks

Re: Cost of Living in Bangkok

Quote Originally Posted by nisman
    1. what type of food habits people have in Bangkok?
    I take this question as what type of food there is in BKK? If so, depending on where you stay there are a variety of different places - traditional Thai, Western, Indian, Middle Eastern, etc. It really depends on where you stay that determines what type of food is most prevalent. It is the same in Western Countries, in that typically people eat three times a day (dinner is major meal unlike in some European countries).

2. Will indian food is available in Bangkok? will being an indian will be able to survive with thai food?
    Indian food is in many places throughout BKK. Like I said in the previous question, certain places have more Indian food than others. There are previous posts will locations of Indian food places - Vegetarian, etc. Take a look at the other threads for more details.

3. i have come to know about that, there are lot of indian stying in Bangkok, any india society is there in Bangkok, where i can stay or can take a house / flat on rent?
    I am sure that someone else can help me out with this, but I do believe there is a large majority of Middle Eastern/Indians living in and around Sukhumvit Soi 1-5 or so. Double check on this, sorry for being naive, but I am not certain for sure there is a large majority of Indians or not but certain there are many Middle Easterns.

4. How much money would be sufficient to survive in bangkok, and what is Percapita Income in Thailand.
    To my standards, BKK is quite cheap for me to live in but I am not sure of your background, where you come from and how much income you have. For example, taxi's start at 35 baht (which is about $1), lunch/dinner on the street can be as cheap as 20-40 baht (which is about $0.50-$1.00), etc. Per capita, sorry I do not have the facts and figures, but are dependent on your job and varies significantly from locals and foreigners. It also is very different for the different locations in Thailand as a whole.

5. Is the behaviour of Thai peoples against indian is good?
    From my experiences, which may differ from person to person as it does everywhere else in the world, they treat everyone with the same respect and kindness. Most all of Thai's are buddhist and are quite nice and easy going (not to say other religions are not, but find that as a whole, Thai's idolised this more so). I am sure that most will agree with me that there are no racial, or not that much in BKK, of racial tensions. If you respect local culture and way of life, then there should not be any problems.

Hope this gives you some insight on Thailand and I can help with any other questions you have if you wish. But would like to see other people's opinions.

Thanks

As for Indian food, here is the most recent post regarding your question: http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9624

If it doesn't work, go to "Bangkok Guidebook"

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hi. Sometimes Thais may not be quite so friendly to Indians / Pakistanis. Unfortunately many of them have been money lenders and collectors in Thai society, so you can imagine that that is not the most popular job and group of people. But, if you mix with Thais and talk to them and act naturally you'll find they are quickly friendly and easy to get along with. I would advise you not to just live, speak to and eat Indian, as you'll miss so much in Thailand.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Do not get alarmed if Thais ask you what you do for a living, about your family etc-they are NOT checking out whether or not you are one of the moneylenders Paul mentions above-they do it with every foreigner, regardless of nationality or colour !

Thanks

Agree with all the previous posts - if you are respectful to the locals and Thai's as a whole, then you should not have any problem. I would recommend, since you are staying in Thailand, to try and adapt to their way of life as well so you don't miss out on the experience of the country.

As for asking questions, they sure do. I can't even tell you how many times I have been asked about my age, what I do, where I come from, etc. I think it is a very friendly place and people are just curious!

Thanks

Thanks to all of you, for providing me such a good information on Bangkok.

Thanks Again,

Warm Regards

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don
    Do not get alarmed if Thais ask you what you do for a living, about your family etc
    Has anyone had this experience the other way around? When i go to work in Saudi Arabia i find myself asking people how much money they earn just like i get asked all the time in thailand. I rarely get a nice answer but more commonly a pathetic defensive comment as if i am asking for their wifes phone number or their bank account details!

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

Asking 'personal' questions is much much better than talking about the weather!
    Here in the UK you need a crow bar to get strangers to open up even about that!
    And you do not have to give personal answers, not too personal anyway.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

Nigel - I would never ask that in the USA just because I think people would find it too personal to answer and would think that you are judging them on the basis of how much they make compared to you. That would never be on the top of my mind when meeting someone elsewhere than in Thailand. I guess you can say it is the same concept in Western countries not to ask a lady her age?

Thread Information