PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Introduction...

Thread: Introduction...

Thanks

Introduction...

Sawadee, everyone

I finally decided to register for this forum after having read it for several months. I've learned an incredible amount from the site and am very grateful for it!

I plan to move to Thailand for good when circumstances permit. I'm not quite old enough for a retirement visa yet and that is how I will be coming. For now, I am running a little social experiment here in NoCal by adopting Thai culture and practicing it whenever and wherever possible. In all honesty, the customs and practices make far more sense to me than the culture of my home country. Thailand feels like "home". So, for now, I will continue on until I finally sell everything I own and set my feet on the soil of my adopted "homeland".

Peace all ~

~Chani (Thai nickname offered me by a Thai friend. Short for "Chanakarn".)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Introduction...

Welcome to our forums. Hope you enjoy the stay.

Thanks

Notice! Re: Introduction...

hi thailandgal, a big welcome to you......

we are all thais here in someway

happy posting........

cheers.

Thanks

Sawatdee krup Thailandgal

Welcome indeed. Where in Northren California. Have a small Wat here in Santa Rosa. Very village like.
    "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little." Sydney Smith

May all beings be happy, may all beings have peace.

Thanks

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever been to Thailand before? If not, don't you think it would be wise to visit first before you leave everything behind? Just a thought.

Thanks

Sounds like sage advise car54, I had a lady from so cal contact me a few years ago about my area of Thailand, she sounded a lot like this lady, Just couldn't wait to sell all her plunder and move over here "with all that wonderful Thai food and Those wonderful people in that Wonderful climate",
    Well she came, Thought we were her personal guides and our home her personal domain away from home, she was afraid to go out because she didn't understand the people and didn't know what to do, Couldn't stand the hot humid climate, we finally got rid of her after a couple of days and she went to BKK ate that "wonderful food" on the street, ended up in the hospital with food poisoning, and after a couple of days in there was put on a plane back to the USA.
    Ain't heard from her since, not even a thank you for my wife who was her confidant, cook, helper, chauffeur, housekeeper and quide and a hell of a lot more kind to her than I would have been.

Thanks

I think I would have a wonderful time living in Thailand but not having been there before it is only a guess. A guess based on other places I have been outside of Aisa (primarily central/south america). I do know that wherever I settle down it won't be in a big city but would be nice to have access to a city.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by car54
    Let me ask you a question. Have you ever been to Thailand before? If not, don't you think it would be wise to visit first before you leave everything behind? Just a thought.

Why so hostile?

In her post, Chani said that she has been ammassing information ( from this site) for a number of months and is currently planning her move including consideration of which visa might be best for a long stay.

To me this would suggest a great deal of research & thought has gone into this rather than simply acting upon a whim!

I also think that Chani's approach, ie. learning more about the culture & lifestyle & attempting to practise this in her home country, demonstrates a maturity & realism.

Chani, I wish you the best of luck & if there is anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast
    Why so hostile?

In her post, Chani said that she has been ammassing information ( from this site) for a number of months and is currently planning her move including consideration of which visa might be best for a long stay.

To me this would suggest a great deal of research & thought has gone into this rather than simply acting upon a whim!

I also think that Chani's approach, ie. learning more about the culture & lifestyle & attempting to practise this in her home country, demonstrates a maturity & realism.

Chani, I wish you the best of luck & if there is anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Hostile?

Seems like a perfectly sensible comment to me. You can research all you like but until you experience reality then you cannot expect to fully appreciate it.

Think about your own experiences, unless something really drastic happened to you in the past, you tend to remember the bright spots and forget the dull ones. This is how people tend to present information. So until such time as you experience yourself you cannot fully appreciate the experience of others.

So I will reiterate the original post, don't put all your eggs in one basket, go visit for a lenghty period of time and find out the reality of Thailand.

St Andrews, Scotland / Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
    Thanks

I think that is far from hostile but more like good sense. By all means, one should definitely travel and at least visit before moving somewhere. It is only logical because there is only so much that you can learn from hearing and reading on the area. There are a lot of underlaying factors which must be seen and dealt with first hand to ensure they match your taste for where you are looking to spend a large amount of time...

Thread Information