Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

talking Work opportunities for farang?

I am a South Afruican working for a multi-national business consultancy. I have visited Thailand and have fallen in love with the country and people. What employment opportunities exist?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Work opportunities for farang?

Ask your company whether you can be posted to Thailand. That and teaching English is basically all a foreigner can legally do in Thailand. Unless you are over 50 and can apply for a retirement visa.

St Andrews, Scotland / Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
    Thanks

Next time you go to Thailand, pick up a copy of the BKK Post (maybe on the weekend though) but they have a massive section of wanted jobs. If my memory serves me correct, they do have consulting jobs available. Not sure if there is much outside of BKK though if BKK is not what you are looking for.

Thanks

You can get the BKK POST online and look at the classified,, but it is hard to get a job unless you are posted here by a multi company..

Thanks

See, didn't know that. But there are a massive number of multi companies all throughout Thailand so do some research on consulting firms and see if anyone has job oppurtunities in BKK.

Thanks

But usually the farang employees are posted from outside is what I understand.
    If you are an incountry hire the wages would be so cheap that no one will work for em. and still they have to pay some min. pay tho.
    But I would never work for the pay required by the Thai govt.

Thanks

Yes, I see where you are coming from. I guess that is up to him to decide what he wishes to make while he is in Thailand. But, generally speaking, if you are transferred here, I would assume you do not still get paid the same as if you were working in the USA, am I correct? Is one's salary, when transferring location, based on the country in which you are sent to? I would imagine so but have not had experience yet in this...

Thanks

No you usually do not get what you are making at the country of employment.
    If you are asked to go foreign then you will make a substantial bit more, plus figure in Per Diem, Housing and a food allowance, transportation allowance and all the perks that they give to get a good hand to go.
    When I worked foreign I made at least twice as much as I would make at home for the same work.
    I had 40 Thai working for me offshore at Basra Iraq and they told me that they made in one hour what they made here in one day, plus they got room and board.

Thanks

I guess all the more incentvie to go abroad then. With figures like that, I don't see why people don't do it more often? Not that much need for foreign or people just don't want to leave?

Thanks

There are lots of people working foreign jobs, mostly from poor countrys tho, I have a step son working now in Taiwan and was in Korea, Sister in law got 2 daughters working in Korea,
    Nigel from this site works in Saudi, lots of folks work Israel, Hong Kong, lots of Filipinos work away from home, A co. I worked for in Saudi had lots of Filipinos, okanawan, Korean, and super employees were American,,

Most of the jobs for american and brits are supervisory as they can get workers from other countrys for a whole lot less,, we might get $5,000 a month plus, and workers get $500.

Thread Information