Thanks

Bangkok Serviced Apartment

Hi everyone,

In the process of planning my next trip to the Kingdom, hopefully sometime in early February. As i will be staying a whole month (yipee!), I thought it may work out cheaper to take a serviced apartment.

The places I have short-listed are:

Centrepoint Sukhumvit/ Lang Suan / Wireless Rd;
    President Park;
    Jasmine Suites;
    Somerset Lake Point;
    Admiral Suites
    or
    Star Suites

Monthly rates for the afore-mentioned tend to range from 45,000b / month to 70,000.

Has anyone stayed at any of the above?
    Can anyone advise me on location, room decor, service etc?
    Has anyone negotiated a good rate for the above?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Bangkok Serviced Apartment

According to my calculations, 70,000 baht per month works out at more than 2,000 baht per day. For that amount you can get a decent hotel room. You could get a guesthouse for 500 baht per day (15,000 baht per month). I am sure guesthouses will be happy to give you a discount if you say you want to stay a month.

What exactly do you think the advantage is of having a serviced apartment? Is it worth the extra cost?

Thanks

When I came this trip I stayed in a guest house in CM, Air, TV, Laundry service and a good dining room and they charged me 12,000 baht for the month.
    They had motorcycle rentals and a Tuk Tuk that serviced the place..

Thanks

blushing Re: Bangkok Serviced Apartment

I've stayed at the President Park a few times.

The location is fantastic, soi 24 I think. It's a short motorcycle taxi ride to the Emporium shopping center (don't let them charge you more than 10 baht). Rama 4 is 2 minutes away and close to a huge Tesco Lotus.
    Also downstairs is a great Tops supermarket with everything you would need.

Guests at the President Park also receive access to a really nice sports club with 3 outdoor pools, tennis courts and a spa and gym.

I never stay in hotels anymore. Once you stay in a serviced apartment, where you get 4 or 5 times the space including kitchen, washer and dryer, dvd player and stereo for the same price as a decent hotel room, you never go back to hotels again.

The Mayfair executive serviced apartments by Marriot on Lang Suang are absolutely fantastic and might be worth your consideration. If you are staying for a month you can probably get a long term rate of USD88 a night or maybe even less, which is heaps better than the regular rate of 150. The only thing that I don't really like about the Mayfair is that their pool is covered and you have to get up pretty early to catch any sun by the pool.

If you are interested you can pm and I can let you know where to get a good rate.

Cheers
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow
    According to my calculations, 70,000 baht per month works out at more than 2,000 baht per day. For that amount you can get a decent hotel room. You could get a guesthouse for 500 baht per day (15,000 baht per month). I am sure guesthouses will be happy to give you a discount if you say you want to stay a month.

What exactly do you think the advantage is of having a serviced apartment? Is it worth the extra cost?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the input and a very valid point you have raised.

This will now be my 8th trip to Thailand. The first few times, I stayed in various hotels ranging from the basic guesthouse to the larger, homogenous sterile hotel chains.

This trip will be primarily for business but I also plan on having some fun! The main advantages of staying in a serviced apartment are;

More space - Last time I stayed in a 1 bed 89m2 apartment just off Sukhumvit. The extra space is great, especially for meetings as it means that I can hold meetings in the room without clients necessarily having to sit on my bed during the meeting!

Better Room Facilities - The apartment I stayed in last time had a washing machine, fully equipped kitchen, dvd & cd player etc. I also get UBC to watch the footie on, mid range hotels tend to only have Sophon which doesn't include ESPN or Star Sports. To get these facilities in a hotel room you would have to pay top dollar.

Better Long Stay Deals - Apartments tend to offer great deals for longer stays. This is also true of some hotels but in my experience, hotels tend not to discount / negotiate down as much as serviced apartments. I can also fill up my fridge full of beer lao or singhas bought from the supermarket instead of smuggling in bottles to chill in the tiny hotel fridges! I hate paying exorbitant prices for goods from the mini bar.

More Privacy - No explanation needed!

Also, for me, when away from home for prolongued periods of time, staying in a hotel can become a bit depressing. At least in an apartment, you don't feel like the walls are closing in on you!

And remember, the places I listed in my previous post all come with the facilities you would expect of a top class establishment.

And finally, the diffrenece between staying in a hotel room or getting an apartment may only work out to a difference of 500b per night - not everyones cup of tea but this arrangement fits me like a glove!

Thanks

i stayed at president park. more of my school trip there..

nice place i would say.. comes with a small kitchen, but the room is very spacious.. bathroom is top-notch! but too bad, no washing machines, but they do laundry services.. their breakfast at the cafe is complimentary for everyday you stay. so yah.. a pretty good spread to add. yum yum!

their room service are pretty yummy too!! hahaha...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the input and a very valid point you have raised.

This will now be my 8th trip to Thailand. The first few times, I stayed in various hotels ranging from the basic guesthouse to the larger, homogenous sterile hotel chains.

This trip will be primarily for business but I also plan on having some fun! The main advantages of staying in a serviced apartment are;

More space - Last time I stayed in a 1 bed 89m2 apartment just off Sukhumvit. The extra space is great, especially for meetings as it means that I can hold meetings in the living room without clients necessarily having to sit on my bed during the meeting!

Better Room Facilities - The apartment I stayed in last time had a washing machine, fully equipped kitchen, dvd & cd player etc. I also get UBC to watch the footie on, mid range hotels tend to only have Sophon which doesn't include ESPN or Star Sports. To get these facilities in a hotel room you would have to pay top dollar.

Better Long Stay Deals - Apartments tend to offer great deals for longer stays. This is also true of some hotels but in my experience, hotels tend not to discount / negotiate down as much as serviced apartments. I can also fill up my fridge full of beer lao or singhas bought from the supermarket instead of smuggling in bottles to chill in the tiny hotel fridges! I hate paying exorbitant prices for goods from the mini bar.

More Privacy - No explanation needed!

Also, for me, when away from home for prolongued periods of time, staying in a hotel can become a bit depressing. At least in an apartment, you don't feel like the walls are closing in on you!

And remember, the places I listed in my previous post all come with the facilities you would expect of a top class establishment.

And finally, the diffrenece between staying in a hotel room or getting an apartment may only work out to a difference of 500b per night - not everyones cup of tea but this arrangement fits me like a glove!

Thanks

i have an apartment for rent along soi asoke if your interested,1 year old ,got everything in it,apart from ubc ,but i can probably arrange something if you give me enough warning.hit me up if you would like some details?,
    neil

Thanks

Much appreciated NeilJay!

Have sent you a PM

Thanks

Hi Enthusiast,

This may come in a bit too late for your early Feb trip but just in case u haven't gone & for others too...

I just returned from a BKK trip & stayed at a service apmt, Unico Grande Sathorn. According to the website, rooms will cost from 50,000++ to 92,000++ per mth. Size, 36-95m2.

It's located at the Silom area. Not along the Main road hence nice peace. It's new (9 mths old), nicely decorated, clean and cosy. Good service, English speaking. Perhaps e only downside is a slightly limited breakfast spread.

Here's their official website...
    http://www.unicoproperty.co.th/sathorn/index.html

Thread Information