Thanks

Gold prices in Thailand

A Co-worker of mine is from thailand and going to there next month. I was thinking of giving her some money well to be exact 100$usd to purchase me a ring with the exchange rate is that a lot of money over there? would I be able to get something nice? I was planning on getting a 24ct ring over there because I have some lao friends and they always are wearing it and I was always messing around with them saying that I was going to steal it. let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 495 Posts

Re: Gold prices in thailand

Are you looking for guys or girls ring?

Gold prices have risen dramatically over past 2 years and now a 1 baht ring (baht is weight of gold eq 15.2 gram) would cost approx 300 dollars.

Please be aware that the gold is very pure and as such is very SOFT, I would think half baht weight would be fine for a small ring. Dont worry about extra cost for design of the ring, think purely weight of gold because the price you pay is mostly the value of gold with only a small percentage for the "jewellery" element.

Take into account that many Thai (and indeed many SEA people) look on an investment in gold like putting money in a bank, so "upgrading" when money is plentiful and "downgrading" in times of hardship are commonplace. Unlike western gold jewellery that becomes almost worthless as a pre-owned commodity, if you buy Thai gold it can be regarded as an investment. Incidentally an investment that if you had bought 18 months ago would have shown an absolutely fantastic profit!

Thanks

Correct I think, as the baht has increased in value a little since I bought my wife a one Baht bracelet for her birthday in Sept. and it was $303.00 on my credit card.
    But I don't remember what the baht was then, a few more baht to the dollar. but it is 22 ct. and not 24 I am thinking.

Thanks

well I was hoping to get a fairly good sized mens ring, doesn't look like it's going to happen for 100 usd, thank you guys for your help though

Thanks

No, for sure not, at about the same time I bought for our daughter a gold band like an American would wear for a wedding band, not large but it was
    about 1/2 baht and cost $156.00 US. She is 17 and has a small finger.

But gold here is world market prices, same as there only you save on the labor of working it into jewelry, and it is good gold..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 495 Posts

but it is 22 ct. and not 24 I am thinking.
    Most thai gold is 96.5% pure which equates to 23k. Some shops offer 22, 20 or 18 as well, these are harder than the 23k so maybe a good choice for a mans ring.

Thanks

hi guys, i am going to bangkok to buy a gold chain, can someone advice me what is the gold price now in bangkok ? say 23k gold ? Thanks...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,648 Posts

Todays price-it varies daily- per Baht weight is B13800

Baht weight conversion chart

Thread Information