PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Harrow's international
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Is this a good school. I have heard both good and bad things about this school. I am going back to Thailand in maybe June or July, maybe August, to take a test to see if I get in. Anyway, I was wondering because this school is supposed to have great academic standards and it teaches Thai and Japanese! I really want to learn Thai and Japanese! I was wondering if anyone attended this school, or if anyone does right now. Thanks!

Thanks
    Is that a famous boarding school in England? I dunno. But it's probably a good school. The primary thing is to visit the school and make sure they are a) accredited by the ministry of education, and b) not overstaffed by underqualified professors. The popularity of international schools in Thailand is growing. I used to live close to a school called ISB (International School of Bangkok). Check them out too. They've been around for a long time.
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thanks
    Thanks for the name of the other school, I'll check them out too! Yeah Harrow's is a school is England, but they have a school in Bangkok, near the airport (about 10-20 minutes away) and that's really good because i have a lot of family in Bangkok! Is ISB near or in Bangkok?

Thanks
    ISB has a campus on Sukhumvit soi 15 in Bangkok. That's like smack right in the middle of BKK, and not far from the Asoke Skytrain station and soon to open subway station.
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thanks
    Thank you! That information is very helpful! This is off topic but what does chai mean?

Thanks

thumbs up

Here's the website for Harrow International School in Bangkok.

For a rather complete listing of links to other international schools in Thailand, click here.

Good luck.
    Abandon wrongdoing. It can be done.
    Cultivate doing good. It can be done.

Vali Guest
    WOah, woah woah... ISB doesn't have a campus in Sukhumvit.

That's NIST. ISB USED to be there 10 years ago, but now it moved out to Nonthaburi. It still isn't that far away.

What grade will you be in? Who will you be living with and where?

Are you coming from America and are you planning on graduating from this school or going back to wherever you are coming from and graduating there?

I did the same sort of thing LAST year. I ended up going to ISB because I thought that if I was coming back to the US (which I ended up doing) I should stay with the school that has the most "American" program.

ISB now has more of an IB program anyway, like NIST. Harrow and Ruamrudee and Patana have British programs.

If you're all about being RIGHT in Bangkok, NIST is pretty much the only one... I'd like to know the details of why you are going and for how long before I recommend ISB, but I can tell you that it was a super fun experience and the academics are fairly rigorous.

Thanks
    Sorry about that. The day I wrote the earlier post, I had run into an alumni website showing pictures of ISB on sukhumvit 15 back in the 1980's. I also remember there being an international school on sukhumvit 15 cuz I used to live on that soi. I just put two and two together. Anyways, Vali is right. The school on sukhumvit 15 is actually NIST (New International School of Thailand).
    "Random Witty Comment"

Vali Guest
    Hehe well ISB has the nicest campus but it also costs the most. If you go to ISB get a class with Mr. Morton (history) and Ms. Gunn (bio)... they are awesome teachers.

There is Thai and Japanese at ISB too. Plus you will meet a lot of friends who are Japanese who you can learn from. That's what I liked most about going to Int'l School. I didn't just get to be more in touch with my Thai background, I also got exposed to people from all over the world! I certainly didn't get any of that in Suburbia, USA.

The Thai program for 2nd language at ISB is very good too. Khun Marina is a really fun teacher. Again, money is definately an issue, it costs a lot to go to any of these international schools if your parent's company isn't paying for it. I think in any Thai class at school you will pick up mostly the writing/reading aspects. You build your vocabulary the most by going out to the market and listening and talking to people.

I read that you are in 9th grade in the US. That is the same position I was in 2 years ago! I went to ISB for 10th grade. I have to warn you, it is not an easy place to leave. I ended up going back at the start of 11th grade even though I had withdrawn and enrolled in my old school in the States. But things didn't work out so I am back in the states again. It was really hard to cope with being a world away from the life that I love. But its all good now! Yea... I have a lot of I.S. contacts so lemme know if ya got any questions.

AznDelight07 Guest
    Hey, my name's Marisa, and I'm half Thai (and speak very little thai :P ). Next year i'll be going to an international school... my family is thinking ISB. I'm really nervous/excited, as I've only vacationed in Thailand over the summers, never lived there. But back to the school-- could you tell me more about it? As for money, I think we are fine and can deal with that. Was the curriculum hard? What were the other kids like? Thanks you SO much. :)

Marisa

Thread Information