Thanks

Where to buy electronics in Bangkok?

I want to buy cellphones, digital camera, dvd recorder and would like to know which stores/malls to target. I am going there end of january. Furthermore, is Thailand better to KL, Singapore, Hongkong?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Where to buy electronics in Bangkok?

The computer center at Panthip Plaza is a good place for digital cameras. MBK Center (near Siam Square) is good for both digital cameras and cellphones. In fact there are literally hundreds and hundreds of shops selling cellphones. You probably can buy a DVD recorder there too. I am presuming you mean one to record television? If you mean a DVD camera then also try MBK. For DVD recorder, check out the electrical department at places like Central and Robinson etc.

For brandname electrical items, prices in Thailand are much the same as Western countries. Import tax is quite high. We are only cheaper for nonbrands and copies which come in from China etc. If you want cheap brandnames then I would suggest either Singapore or Hong Kong.

Thanks

Just back from Bkk, bought a 15" TV local brand "Fantasy" for B25990 and VCD player B1390 at The Mall-Power Megar stall at Bangkapi The Mall. It is cheaper than Singapore. It is for my Thai friend. I bought the Mac I Pod at MBK for B3900 I gh install 240 song for B600.

Thanks

A bit expensive for a 15 inch TV, don't you think?

iPods can be ordered online and shipped cheaper around the world if you know where to look.

I would say that cell phones are very much the same price as in western countries, but probably more easily obtainable. Plus, who has a Thai keypad in America. That will confuse your friends. Haha. I bought a Sony Ericcson 550 series phone here. It froze up on me once, but I took it back where I bought it, they sent in to BKK, and was back to me within two weeks, fixed and all free of charge.

Anyone know if the local brand cameras are any good? I'm looking for a replacement for my Nikon S2, but I dont want to buy a camera if it will crap out on me. 5-6k baht seems to cheap for a 10 MP camera

Thanks

What about initial SIM for cell phones. I'm bringing an unlocked quad-band GSM phone in. I know top up minutes can be bought at about any 7-11, but do the initial SIMs need to be bought at an IT store?

Thanks

Sims can be bought almost anywhere too.
    Computers are much cheaper in thailand. I just bought an apple laptop. When i left the country to go to work i claimed back the VAT. After comparing prices with the UK i found that i had saved over 500 pound and that was without considering all the software the shop installed for free.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angalphoto
    Just back from Bkk, bought a 15" TV local brand "Fantasy" for B25990 and VCD player B1390 at The Mall-Power Megar stall at Bangkapi The Mall. It is cheaper than Singapore. It is for my Thai friend. I bought the Mac I Pod at MBK for B3900 I gh install 240 song for B600.
    That is expensive.

Thanks

Wow those prices are real high. I can buy a name brand 15 inch TV for like a 100 bucks. DVD players no names 39 dollars

Thanks

The prices for TV have to be a typo. Live in Thailand and have purchased 20 inch Panasonic for 5,000+ Baht at Big Ca about 6 months ago. Lotus has same price as would the shops in MBK. Purchased a 29 inch Sony (3 years ago, prices were higher and have fallen significantly) for 19,000 baht.

Generally, prices for Thai made electronics are similar or in some cases lower than USA. Cameras, video cameras, computer-related electronics are about 10 percent more. However, off brand componentry for computers can be very cheap. Name brands tend to be a touch more expensive, but then again, there is no sales tax.

Where to buy? You can go to the malls (covered here in forum) or go to the large sell-all type stores, similar to super Walmart's (I am from USA so that is my comparison) such as Big C (I believe it is French based), Lotus (I believe British based), Carrefour, etc. Most name brands there, but not truly high end. If you are looking for kitchen supplies (refrigerators, etc), those stores have a limited selection, best go to homepro and in BKK, there are high-end specialty stores.

Thanks

I think it depends what you want to buy. Cell phones and cameras as well as mp3 players can all be found at MBK, Fortune Tower and Pantip Plaza.
    Computer equipment at Pantip Plaza, Fortune Tower or if it's just a laptop and simple desktop, then IT City at Sima Paragon or Power Buy stores at Central stores.
    TVs and Hi-Fi would be best bought from Siam Paragon or Central Childom store, but if you want Hi-Fi then head off opposite Central World Plaza towards Big C... take the road to the left of Big C and on the left, where Big C ends, is a Hi-Fi specailist mall.
    A nice shopping gyide I've come across is XXXXXXXXXXXX as it shows images of the shops as well as describing them.
    So, really, determine what you want to buy and we can point you in the right direction, but a place that sells TVs isn't going to be so great with the cameras or computers. You'll need to go to a few places if you are after getting kitted out.
    Last edited by Khun Don; 24-10-08 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Forum Rules: New members may not post external links.

Thread Information