PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Where to start?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Thanks

Where to start?

Hi , im from northern ireland n im 20 yrs old and i am currently saving to move to thailand, i am wanting to be able to speak thai.

I have already begun the phrases on the learning thai website... but it doesnt seem to be sinking into my head and it doesnt tell you how to say single words , therefore i cannot really learn how to say my own sentances in thai.

I know its not something i can learn in a day or 2 , im willing to spend months learning if i have too...

Could someone tell me how to begin learning and an easy way to pick it up and memorize the language?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Re: Where to start?

Welcome to the forum, Soulx. You're in the right place. We're all here at different levels looking to learn this tricky thing called the Thai language. Luckily, you've stumbled on the most useful website -- learningthai.com There are so many different ways to study reading, writing, listening, speaking, vocab, comprehension, etc.

As with any language, I think you have to find your style. Are you a structured formula person, are you a rote memorizer, are you tone deaf, etc.

Also nose around here a bit in the search function. There have been many threads that have talked about 'how to start'. I know that mikenz66 has gone into great detail about this, but I can't seem to find his specific thread right now.

Happy reading and I look forward to many more questions and posts from you in the future!

Thanks

Hey pailin thanks for the response... i dont know really where to start.. ive been listening to the greetings etc.. they would stay in my head for like 5 mins then id have to look at it again to get it in my head again lol... im not deaf or anything no lol, perfectly normal

Just im finding it hard memorizing certain things, i have yet to even put my own sentance together...

:(

Thanks

... im not deaf or anything no lol, perfectly normal
    Oh, sorry..I didn't mean to ask if you were deaf... I asked tone deaf. Thai is a tonal language. Some people with experience in tonal languages or a good ear for music don't have much problem. For others -- and this is me -- it's really hard to hear the different tones. I've had to put a lot of practice in.

I haven't been at the very beginner level in a while, so I just popped on to learningthai.com just now to see ... hmm...what would I think is useful for a beginner. Now this is just my opinion, but there is a button on the left hand side of the front page that has "Thai Alphabet Pictures" I would definitely start there. The arrangment of the alphabet is that it is studied with the letter and a vocab word -- Much like "A is for apple" "B is for boy". You can study those...maybe make flash cards. It can be frustrating at the beginning to not have a wealth of vocabulary to have conversations...but it is the beginning...and you have some level of trust that a good foundation will build you tall. It is really not that hard to learn the phoenetic alphabet and it will be very valuable down the road.

FYI...I carry flash cards with me wherever I go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pailin
    FYI...I carry flash cards with me wherever I go.
    Even the shower?

Soulx, if you are truly motivated to learn and devote a lot of effort to it, you can do it. But be prepared for it to take quite a while--instead of the months you indicated, it will really take years to become fluent, unless you happen to be a very gifted linguist. Obviously the amount of time it takes to become fluent will depend on your circumstances as well; living in Thailand (or otherwise having access to Thai people to speak with) would speed the process considerably.

This web site has a wealth of information to get you started on the right path.

DogoDon

Thanks

thanks guys

Thanks

There have been many threads that have talked about 'how to start'. I know that mikenz66 has gone into great detail about this, but I can't seem to find his specific thread right now.
    As Pailin says, I keep giving my opinion.
    Here's some advice: http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9462
    This is how it worked out: http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9694
    Not perfect, but interesting...

I've now gone through Thai for Beginners quite thoroughly, but am frustrated that I remember a lot less words than I forget. I am now back on Teach Yourself Thai, which is a lot tougher, in my opinion, but has much better, more active exercises. This time through I can recognize most of the words.

Practice, practice, practice...
    ไมค์

Thanks

Even the shower?
    Of course! If you want to learn a language you have to be dedicated!

Thanks

Of course! If you want to learn a language you have to be dedicated!
    I hope they're laminated!

DogoDon

Thanks

thanks again.. altho i am not concerned on reading or writing thai right now, my main concern is being able to speak thai..

Thread Information