PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Muay thai (kickboxing) lessons

Muay thai (kickboxing) lessons

I have been to your wonderful country many times and on my next visit I would like to take some muay thai lessons. Do you know any place where it is easy for foreigners to sign up for lessons?

Thanks
    The following is an AP news story on this subject that you might find useful:

Tough tourists getting their kicks at Thai boxing gyms
    Wed Sep 25
    By MICHAEL KOVRIG, Associated Press Writer

BANGKOK, Thailand - "Jab! Jab! Jab!" shouts my trainer. I fire a series of lefts into his upraised boxing pad.

"Teh! — kick!" he urges, and I twist my hips and launch a roundhouse kick that slams my right shin into the pads.

"Sok! — elbow!

"Khao! — knee!

Kick? Elbow? Knee? A one-way ticket for disqualification in any boxing match, such tactics are standard fare in Thai kickboxing, a graceful yet brutal martial art sometimes called the "science of eight limbs."

I'm standing barefoot in a ring at the Fairtex Muay Thai Gym on the outskirts of Bangkok, breathing hard in the 90-degree heat, sweat running in rivulets down my body.

Facing me is head trainer Apidej Sit-Hirun, 61, a former Thai kickboxing champion legendary for his devastating kicks. Luckily, I'm not on the receiving end today.

For most travelers, a holiday in Thailand means tropical beaches, exotic temples, spicy food, and massages. I'm here for a different reason: to train in kickboxing, or "muay thai."

With international interest in kickboxing growing, thanks to competitions such as Japan's K-1 and exercise programs like Billy Blanks' Tae-Bo, more and more people are coming to Thailand to experience the real thing.

"The knowledge is here," says Ian Faranda, 27, a Londoner training at Bangkok's Sor. Vorapin gym, near the backpacker nexus of Khao San Road. "It's the only way to get as good as you can. It's like doing karate in Japan."

It's also good value. Where else in the world could you train with the kickboxing equivalent of Muhammad Ali for dlrs 10 or less per session?

That sort of opportunity lures seasoned fighters like Christian DiPaolo, 23, who are looking to improve. After training for a decade, DiPaolo, from Sheffield, England, has 22 fights, a chipped elbow and teeth marks on his knuckles to show for it. He came to Fairtex to prepare for an upcoming fight.

"No one can beat the Thais in a standup fight," he says. "Muay thai is the king of martial arts."

It's one of Thailand's most popular sports, and the skill and toughness of its fighters is a source of national pride. Professional fighters start boxing at age 15, their lean, sinewy bodies already molded like rubber.

The only belts that matter to them are won in championships at Bangkok's Ratchadamnoen and Lumphini stadiums in five 3-minute rounds. Like conventional boxing, Thai kickboxing can also be bloody, but its exponents also display a balletic grace, lifting the leg and prancing in the ring in slow motion before hammering each other with knees, punches, elbow strikes, and kicks.

"Your legs feel like you've been in a car crash after a bout," DiPaolo says.

The training is not gentle either. Pros put in up to six grueling hours a day of contact sparring, running, pad drills, shadow boxing, heavy bag work, skipping rope, push-ups, crunches, and clenching savagely while kneeing to the body. Given that abuse, it's no surprise that Thai fighters retire by their late 20s.

Visitors face no such age limit or training demands. Steve Kemp, a traveler from England, is 36 and began studying muay thai not long ago.

"I went to see a couple of fights in Bangkok and fell in love with it," he says.

Kemp spent three weeks living and boxing at the Muay Thai Institute near Bangkok's airport and liked it enough to return to Thailand for three months of training and traveling. His girlfriend, Kim Bryant, a Canadian from St. John's, Newfoundland, decided to join him.

"It was the challenge of doing something completely different, getting myself into shape to be able to defend myself, and curiosity," says Bryant, 37.

Seeing a chance to promote the national sport abroad, Thai gyms are opening up to tourists like these. Beginners and women are welcome, a change from the past, and aging fighters like Apidej have found a fresh purpose in passing on their knowledge to these new converts.

The Muay Thai Institute trains 40-60 foreigners each year, while Fairtex, which also makes equipment and runs gyms in the United States, takes 100 students a year, says chief executive Anthony Lin.

Most come from the United States, Japan, Europe and Australia, he says, and they range in age from about 16 to 60. The training is not a big moneymaker, he notes. Fees cover costs and little more.

Beyond Bangkok, visitors to the northern city of Chiang Mai can train at the extensive Lanna Muay Thai Boxing Camp. Down south, beach resorts like Pattaya and Koh Phi Phi also have camps, and in August "muay thai" champion Jaroenthong Kiatbanchong announced he was opening a gym for tourists on the popular island of Koh Samui.

The gyms are also taking a cue from fitness clubs, promoting "muay thai" as an exercise program.

"Muay thai training is one of the best ways to increase your aerobic fitness, develop lean muscles and lose fat," advises the Sor. Vorapin gym.

It had better be. After a few weeks of muay thai my muscles and knuckles ache, my shins are bruised, the soles of my feet shredded. It may be a kinder, gentler "muay thai," but it's still closer to "Fight Club" than Pilates.

Given the heat, humidity and often rustic facilities, the sport isn't about to rival sunbathing and scuba diving as a tourist attraction. But for a dedicated few, it's exactly the kind of boot camp they want.

Internet Resources

Fairtex Muay Thai Camp
    Lanna Muay Thai Boxing Camp
    Muay Thai Institute
    Sor Vorapin Gym
    Suthee "Phong" Buayam
    Learn Thai through music at www.ethaimusic.com
    Buy Thai music online at www.ethaicd.com

Thanks

happy

Another recent news story about foreigners learning kick boxing - this time in a gym near Khao San Road.

Boxing gym a hit with tourists
    The Nation Oct 13, 2002

Some Thais may feel it's less elegant than judo, taekwando, karate or Chinese kung-fu. But Thai boxing has its own charm, and draws dozens of foreigners to a small boxing gym on Khao San Road every day.

"Violence," an American professional fighter said, when asked what he found most attractive about muay Thai.

Shane Wiggand, 27, said he spotted the gym while staying near the well-known tourist enclave, and enrolled in courses. "I am taking the course again as I find it very useful," he said.

Sor Vorapin gym, run by former muay Thai boxer Tanomsak Ruangram, offers quick courses - some lasting just a week and others a month.

Prices range from Bt300 per session to Bt6,000 per month. The classes are run twice daily, from 7.30am to 9.30am and from 3pm to 6pm.

The gym's display boards have become popular with passersby, and many ask for information. During a recent visit by The Nation, several of curious tourists came in to register for classes.

Body language can work wonders. Sor Vorapin's trainers, though not very fluent in English, teach foreign students by using their fists, kicks, fancy footwork and other movements.

Tanomsak, who took charge of the gym in 1984, has taught students from many countries, including Israel, Japan, Great Britain, Ireland and the US. "Language is no barrier," he says.

The trainer flies to Switzerland every year to conduct Thai-style boxing classes. He is convinced the sport will soon be a hit there.

He says Thai boxing will succeed because it is a good form of exercise, a practical way to lose weight, promotes a healthy lifestyle and provides a useful form of self-defence.

"If more places were offering Thai boxing classes, I am sure the courses would receive a warm public response," he said.

Magumi Ito, a Japanese nurse who was among the women taking up Thai boxing, said the art was highly admired in Japan. She learnt about the gym from a television programme at home.

"I saw a Japanese star practising Thai boxing at this gym," she said. The nurse, who is also a Japanese kick-boxer, said she had enrolled for classes at the gym whenever she came here on vacation over the past five years.

Her friend Taketoshi Mogi found Thai boxing very exciting and harder to learn than Japanese kick-boxing. He showed his bruised legs after training on kicking pads with a trainer.

Tanomsak said the most dangerous move in Thai boxing is the elbow strike. These blows are essential to Thai boxing. If you see Thai boxing bouts without elbow strikes, they are not original, he said.

After studying here, many foreign students open their own Thai boxing gyms abroad, he said. "But I'm not sure if they are really advanced enough to teach."

Many of Sor Vorapin Gym trainers are still professional fighters. Others are veterans with extensive experience. "All of us love Thai boxing and are proud of it," Tanomsak said.

From time to time some foreigner will knock on his door and challenge him to a fight. "Believe me or not, I've always won and my challengers are all happy to pay me to show them what Thai boxing is all about," he said.

Benjawan Somsin

Urisara Kowitdamrong

THE NATION
    Suthee "Phong" Buayam
    Learn Thai through music at www.ethaimusic.com
    Buy Thai music online at www.ethaicd.com

I am going to Thailand in June hopefully for a month.

Any idea on how much it is to train at a Thai boxing gym in Bangkok for a month?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Chad5781 @ April 09 2003,01:39)]Any idea on how much it is to train at a Thai boxing gym in Bangkok for a month?
    It is in the story above:

Prices range from Bt300 per session to Bt6,000 per month. The classes are run twice daily, from 7.30am to 9.30am and from 3pm to 6pm.

Thanks

Muay Thai training in Bangkok

I am going to Thailand in June hopefully for a month.

Any idea on how much it is to train at a Thai boxing gym in Bangkok for a month?
    Try the Bangkok Fight Club on Soi Asok road.
    Great place to learn the basics of Thai Boxing and get fit while doing it. Monthly training fee of 2.500 baht.
    check out the BangkokFightClub.com for the schedule and pricing

http://www.BangkokFightClub.com
    Last edited by BFC; 27-06-06 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks

Re: Muay thai (kickboxing) lessons

thai boxing is beatiful

Thanks

I hope they give group discounts, because I will be sending all my bodyguards for training.

Thanks

Lot's of posts speak of training for a month or so..Maybe a little longer. As if this training will make them, well, proficient in the sport. Nothing could be further. Muay Thai is a life long experience. Training almost start at birth. Stamina is key. Endless running at full throttle...Endless kicks to every part of one's body. I watched these folks train in the seventies at the Muay boxing center of thailand. Only fools take muay thai on without proper training before they go to thailand. Osmosis does not work here.

Thanks

i am sending all my Bar girls for muay thai training at chiangMai next month for 1 month.

Thread Information