Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

grouchy

hello,

i heard somewhere that if you do anything with your left,be it writing or eating, this is disrepectful. im left handed and was wondering what to do about this when i go to thailand? should i learn how to use my right hand, is it really being rude?

any help would be a big help

leto

Thanks

Gor Gai

Hi,
    I'm a lefty too, so I'd also like to know how seriously offensive it is to use the left hand. It doesn't seem to be a big deal to me though; for most tasks I would just switch hands (ie. like passing food at the table).
    An interesting bit of information: I heard that in Thailand the left hand is used in restrooms only... and that in some restrooms there is no toilet paper. You figure out the rest.
    I don't know if this is true, but if it is, then I would certainly understand how passing food with the left hand is not a pleasant sight for Thais.

Thanks
    Ooooh! That reminds me of the first time I saw a real "Thai bathroom." I was out "temple-hopping," and I had been drinking water all day, so before we went on to the next temple, I decided check out the Thai restrooms. When I got in there, I saw for the first time, the asian-style toilets. At first, I thought it was a urinal that someone had attached to the floor as a sick joke. Then, I noticed that all the toilets were like that. I stood there staring at them, scratching my head, trying to figure out how on earth people used them. I even called one of the foreign guys I had been traveling with to come check them out. We got into some debates over how you were supposed to use them, even immitating different postures, and figuring out the way to use them while still simutaneously reading the sunday paper. Finally, we sort of figured it out. Satistfied with our progress, I start to leave, when my friend grabs me and says "hey, there's no toilet paper!" I took a look, an sure enough, he was right. Our first thought "restraunteers came in and stole the toilet paper." It would certainly explain why so many street restaurants have a role of toilet paper on the table which they so conveniently call 'napkins.' Eventually, we dismissed that theory, when we came up with the conclusion that the basin full of water was not just for flushing the toilet, but for washing too.

In short, in the left hand has traditionally been referred to as the... umm... bathroom hand. So, you aren't supposed to pass, or receive things with the left hand. As for writing with the left hand, I don't think there's a problem with that. In modern areas, bathrooms come equipped with a hose that shoots 2 million gallons of water per second. It's got the pressure of a fire hose. Hands are no longer needed if there is a hose in the bathroom.
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thanks
    OMG, Chai, you crack me up every day with one of your stories!!!

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]We got into some debates over how you were supposed to use them, even immitating different postures, and figuring out the way to use them while still simutaneously reading the sunday paper.
    Do you have some pictures about that? ... OTOH, rather not. It is better left to the imagination.

LaoDreamer80 Guest
    I don't think you should worry about it much, because I lived in thailand for 11 years and people their didn't have any problem with me being left-handed.

Pear Guest
    I agree with Lao Dreamer80. I don't think there's any problem.

Thanks
    I don't think you will find any problems being in Thailand. It is not like other Asian countries. We are eduacted enough to know that if you are left-handed you would use your other hand while in the toilet. My girlfriend is left-handed and she has no problem with how people think.
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks
    I don't think you will have any problems. Being born left-handed isn't a crime.
    Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

Thanks
    I think it is never a problem if it's genetic. I mean how can you be penalised for being born left-handed. That would just be so unfair, especially since I'm a lefty too.

Vali Guest
    Heh, you aren't supposed to pass food with your left hand. RIght hand only.

Thread Information