PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Abortion in Thailand
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Abortion in Thailand

So.... she's pregnant.

Wowzers. I mean, if it's true and all. And one must assume that it is. Can't call this bluff. And why should I? I'm going back next week to 'take care of it', and I'll know for sure then if it's for real or not. She's smart enough to know that when I come back, I will have my Shelock Holmes jacket on, with my own set of pregnany tests in my pocket. So, no I don't think she's bluffing. She deffinately pregnant.

I guess the most obvious sign is that she wants $20,000 for the abortion. Now, obviously I'm going to want to MAKE SURE that if I am going to give her $20,000bht for the abortion, then I am going to make sure she is REALLY pregnant. But here's the thing....

1) She has given me explicit instructions that I am not to accompany her to the abortion clinic. Why? Because she doesn't want to be seen 'killing' her baby with a farang man. Essentially she will feel ashamed if others think she caved to my wishes. (although I can assure you this decision was mutual).

What do I think? I think she doesn't want me there to see what really happens. Perhaps she doesn't actually get the abortion. Perhaps it only costs a fraction of what she's telling me and I'll easilly find out. Who know's. But its fishy for sure.

2) Is it really my kid?? No way to tell that for sure unless it's born, right? All I know is I spent one night with her, and we had sex 2 times. But it is possible, so I must not really on probablility, and istead, possibility.

3) Abortions cost $20,000bht ????? IN THAILAND??????? No way in hell do I believe that. I know she wants some money out of this, and to tell you the truth I am willing to give it. But I would have much prefered she just came out and was honest with me about how much she wanted, but I guess that would be asking too much.

What do I want to know??? What is the purpose of me signing up for this forum specifically to write this article??? Well, can somebody... ANYBODY tell me what an abortion REALLY costs in Thailand?????? And how do I set it up?

I know I will never get the truth from her.

Thanks to all for info and advise.

MR. Perplexed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Abortion in Thailand

First I want to say that abortion is illegal in Thailand (unless the woman was raped or the birth of the child would be detrimental to her health). So, we cannot encourage you to take this course.

There are clinics that will do this. I cannot remember offhand, however I am sure it is no more than $280. Even that sounds expensive. Probably could find out for you if you like. It sounds like you are being taken for a ride. She probably is pregnant but she could have several other "fathers" lined up to pay for the abortion.

I would try and bluff her. Say to her that you would like to do a DNA test to find out that you are the father for sure. Say that $20,000 is a lot of money and a DNA test would be cheap in comparison. Of course you wouldn't be able to do this but she might not know.

Thanks

Just some more silly stuff about farangs taking it in the shorts, but from what I hear, it is rightly deserved.

If you flag a Tuk Tuk and make a deal for a 100 baht ride to a bar, When you get there the driver wants an extra 3,000 baht because he has blown his engine, would you pay it?? or just walk away smiling??

You make a deal for a service, the service is rendered and payed for.. thats the end of deal, not to have to keep paying for every little thing that happens in the future.

Thanks

Perhaps, and I don't know the logistics of this for your girl, she might not consider abortion but having a family member care for the baby? or local adoption? or if absolutely necessary international adoption? or anything apart from abortion.

I know this was a bit of a kick in the teeth for you but you're both adults, both had consensual sex, so try to make sure that you deal with this responsibly.

Like I said, I don't know how an unexpected, mixed pregnancy with an unwilling potential father (and possibly dubious paternity) is viewed in this girl's family but perhaps just seeing that she has a little outside perspective from a counsellor will help her understand how she may feel post-abortion.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch

You make a deal for a service, the service is rendered and payed for.. thats the end of deal, not to have to keep paying for every little thing that happens in the future.

Once again, your comments demonstrate that, in fact, dinosaurs are NOT extinct.

So, in effect, you are saying that a mans responsibility ends straight after sex???

And that this is solely the girl's problem and fault???

Thanks

And that this is solely the girl's problem and fault???So, in effect, you are saying that a mans responsibility ends straight after sex???
    Exactly, If they were in fact old time friends and had a realtionship, then it is different, but a goods and services deal is some different.
    In jolly old England it might be the way it is done if a gal charges you for a leg up and then gets knocked up and you are supposed to pay, but doesn't happen in any civilized modern country that I know of.

Thanks

Exactly, If they were in fact old time friends and had a realtionship, then it is different, but a goods and services deal is some different.
    In jolly old England it might be the way it is done if a gal charges you for a leg up and then gets knocked up and you are supposed to pay, but doesn't happen in any civilized modern country that I know of.
    Where have you been living that you haven't seen the rise in paternity suits? Nearly every civilized modern country requires both parties responsible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguy49
    I guess the most obvious sign is that she wants $20,000 for the abortion. Now, obviously I'm going to want to MAKE SURE that if I am going to give her $20,000bht for the abortion, then I am going to make sure she is REALLY pregnant.
    Now do you mean $20,000 or 20,000, which is about $500??

If it's the latter, then I guess it could be right... ish.... but anyway, as people have said before, abortion is not a nice road to go down.... especially in Thailand... as for FiP's comments about it being a "service", I think that's a bit small minded. Although she might be a BG, this is still a human being we're talking about... no? All I mean is that it doesn't help this situation as ThaiGuy49 wasn't questioning his responsibility because she was a BG, only because he wasn't sure if it was his doing, was real etc etc....

my 2c, or 2 satang? :p

Thanks

well here's a bit of her history. she's 22 and already has 2 kids. the second of which came from an englishmen (apparently her "boyfriend" at the time) who promtly told her to "take it out" or he would never see her again. according to her, they have not talked since that day, and her son is now 2 years old. she says she has never recieved a penny from him and thats totaly fine by her.

she also states that she is being pressured from her family to have an abortion this time around. her mom is already raising her 2 kids and does not want to raise a 3rd, and has told her if she keeps this one she must raise it herself.

i think she does not want to have the abortion, but does not want to raise the baby either. by charging me $20,000 bht this will 'make up' for the situation i have put her in.

so we both don't want the baby. to me, the responsible thing IS the abortion.

should i just accept the fact that i am backed into a corner and pay the $20,000 bht and be done with? or call her 'bluff' and tell her to F-off because i don't like being blackmailed. tough call. i'm flying back in 5 days to survey the situation. meet the family and the hole bit. everybody knows its only because she's pregnant.

i don't know what to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguy49
    by charging me $20,000 bht this will 'make up' for the situation i have put her in.
    Did you force or dupe her? If not, then don't monopolize the responsibility or guilt for her being in that situation! It was a product of a joint venture! 555

should i just accept the fact that i am backed into a corner and pay the $20,000 bht and be done with? or call her 'bluff' and tell her to F-off because i don't like being blackmailed. tough call. i'm flying back in 5 days to survey the situation. meet the family and the hole bit. everybody knows its only because she's pregnant.
    don't know what to do.
    It seems though that you are nursing a twinge of guilt, although in your first post you expressed doubts on whether you're the father or not. Fine. If you're not the type who would go great lengths to prove that she is pulling your leg (as this could be messy, long-drawn, and expensive, too) pay the 20,000 Bht and be done with it! As Phiebs pointed out, this amount is only about 500 USD. Let us just say that this the "fine" you have to pay for committing an error. Or put in another way, this is a means for you to buy your peace of mind.

If I pursue your initial misgivings about her, there are these possibilities: 1) that she is pregnant but you are not the father; 2) that she's also collecting from other men some amounts; and 3) that she is not pregnant at all. But so what? If you want that peace of mind so badly, go and buy it!

Moreover, you don't even need to fly back anymore to meet the family and all. Just use the fare money for that "fine".
    Last edited by Marie; 17-02-07 at 10:21 AM.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thread Information