Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sticky rice

Thanks

Re: Sticky rice

็Hi yy, look at my pics, it is a traditional way to cook sticky rice, and I think it is the best. Simply soak sticky rice over night and put it into basket, the pot contains water (2" lower than the basket). Steam for around 30 min. Oh btw the water from soaking the rice, you should keep half of it to play trick. When the rice is cooked, spring the water over the top of the rice and then flip the rice over to get the bottom up to the top, do this 3 times. Anyway..I never try this method but it makes sense. When I was overseas I used chinese steamer and a bamboo basket (bowl shape) to cook sticky rice. A muslin cloth can be replaced the basket, go great with the steamer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H6432894-16.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	18203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170609Dinner1.jpg 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	18204

Name:	1517615628_92ec2eff0e_o.jpg 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	18205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1271601932.jpg 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	18206

Yes I think you can just simply brush and wash it, and dry it well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rori For This Useful Post:

yy (05-11-12)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Thanks Rori.

My basket looks a bit like the one below (but with simpler design) - it has this hard wooden bottom like the one shown in the pic. Can I still use this for steaming the sticky rice? Cos I don't know if the steam can pass through the hard wooden bottom.

http://www.templeofthai.com/cookware...6210000203.php
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

yy, yours is for serving sticky rice (container), not sure if it is good for steam to go through. why dont you modify by using muslin cloth to cook rice, then you can easily flip the rice over at the end to even the moist. Then using the basket to serve your sticky rice on the table.

Thanks

Ok, I guess I will have to look for the cloth then, thanks
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

Thanks

Lately I've cooked my sticky rice in a microwave since I do not have a bamboo basket nor a steamer.It works in a hurry ( not include the soaking time ) Here is how to prepare your sticky rice for microwave
    Rinse your sticky rice under running water for a few minutes so get rid of any particles
    Put in a microwave safe container ( I use a ceramic bowl ) and add water enough to completely soak the rice,set aside for desired amount of time.I usually leave mine for a few hours but my husband leave it over night for a softer and stickier texture
    When it is ready,drain the water,wrap in sheet cloth or damp paper towel and place it back in your microwave safe bowl,put a lid ( or plate or saucer,whatever can cover the bowl entirely ) on
    Cooking time varies depend on your microwave,try 3 minutes on medium-high then flip ( yep,flip not stir you want it to be sticky,right? )and another 3 minutes or longer till your rice is thoroughly cooked
    Enjoy!
    P.S. By the time your rice is cooked,I hope you have Thai grilled chicken and papaya salad ready :-)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to siamruby For This Useful Post:

Rori (08-11-12), Susana (08-11-12), yy (08-11-12)

Thanks

On another note, I literally live out of my steamer and slowcooker (and definitely my rice-cooker). Throw everything in and the food is done within minutes (for steamer) and 4hours (slow-cooker). With minimal watching, stirring. Only use stovetop every couple of months or so LOL... However, this convenient (lazy?) way of cooking only works if one likes soupy, stewed or steamed dishes with cooked rice...

Call me nutty or whatever you prefer (and I probably deserve it) - actually I usually avoid the microwave like the plague for the unprovened (or yet unprovened?) 'theory' that microwave radiation is potentially cancer-causing. Similarly crazy-sounding, I worry that the muslin cloth may result in some kind of dodgy interactions with khao niao despite being advised by two Thais who have survived rice steamed in muslin to use it(Rori and my Thai friend who told me my khao niao was of the wrong texture) 555 N this is probably why I want so much to use the bamboo basket for steaming the rice because I suspect it will lend a better aroma and more complex taste to the rice, much like how food wrapped in banana leaves usually taste better?

Thanks

yy, you can add pandan leaf or even banana leaf in your rice while cooking, otherwise you buy a new bamboo basket look like this..but without handles...must be hard to find though.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	18214

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rori For This Useful Post:

yy (08-11-12)

Thanks

I think I may be able to get some banana leaves...

Nice basket, Rori! Urs or did you get the pic off the webbie?

Thanks

yy, the pic is from the web, but yes I have some like that and some without handle.

Thanks

Ah, this is symbol that proves you're in Thailand first time! lol sticky rice + burn chicken swings = awesome! .

Thread Information