Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sticky rice

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Re: Sticky rice

Rori, I happened to have a look at my sticky rice basket when I recently went back home on a very short trip to attend a family event, and to my delight, I found that the sticky rice basket's solid wood at the bottom is actually no more than a rim. Which means the hot steam is likely to be able to pass through the woven bottom for steaming the rice, much like the actual steaming basket. If I have the chance to do so in the next few months, I will try steaming khao niao in it and let you guys here know if it works well. ^^
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Look forward to seeing your khao nieo yy ^^

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rori For This Useful Post:

yy (08-12-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,124 Posts

I'm wondering how to clean the basket. I know bamboo is strong, so could I put it in the dishwasher?

Don't laugh! I'm no stranger to washing dishes by hand, and in wintertime it's the best way to keep my hands warm , but I'm concerned about attracting creepy crawlies.

I've made a mental note to look for one of these baskets, and found one while wandering thru a thrift shop. Unfortunately, someone had used it for a craft project and it had a pineapple embroidered in the bottom!

Thanks

Susana, dishwasher?? hmm I dont know, I never have a washer so dont know how it works to clean the dishes and how much damage it could do. These baskets arent originally designed for a washer..I mean people who made them dont know a washer.
    To clean a basket, just soak in detergent water and use a brush maybe a used toothbrush to clean it. then let dry and put away.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rori For This Useful Post:

Susana (07-12-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,124 Posts

I thought maybe a brush, and yes, I knew that the original design (however many eons ago) was not meant for a dishwasher, but I was just thinking . . . .

I have another double layer bamboo steamer type basket I bought thinking I would make sao-pao, or maybe use it for sticky rice, but I've never used it. Maybe I'll just experiment with it and see what happens.

Thanks

Using a sticky rice basket as a steamer-not really a good idea as the idea of steaming is that all the steam should go into and through the basket this means creating a seal between basket and pan being used to hold the water. Also as I learned from experience there is a bout a 1 inch high rim at the base this will necessitate frequent additions of water to maintain steam as the water boils dry in the pan holding the steamer--in short when i tried this many years ago -I ended up with a khong khao whose base was burned and also fell off due to the nylon string used to hold it together burning----hope this makes sense.

Ps avoid need to deep clean by putting cooked rice in a poly bag before dropping into the khong khao.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sisaket For This Useful Post:

Susana (08-12-12), yy (09-12-12)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Erm what's a khong khao?
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yy View Post
    Erm what's a khong khao?
    I guess he meant the sticky rice box/basket (ก่องข้าว gong khao)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rori For This Useful Post:

yy (09-12-12)

Thanks

sticky rice in this thread is a plain one cooked from glutinous rice, you can have it with the sticky meat you mentioned. however this sticky rice can be desert if cook with coconut milk, to have with ice cream, or ripe mango..

Thread Information