PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Sticky rice - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sticky rice

Thanks

Notice! Re: Sticky rice

hee hee with the price of rice here, any dog won't get a chance to eat my left over rice.
    Anyway I was thinking about cooking some and I found this thread.
    So I hope this helps Ellenpellen to see how it can be done without the original cooking equipment.
    first : soak sticky rice overnight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	str01.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	503
    then put in strainer over boiling water.

Name:	str02.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	504
    Please note I don't have smaller lid or smaller strainer(seive).
    It would be better if you keep steam inside as much as you can so rice will be cooked faster and save energy of course.
    Around 45 min. to an hour stir it from time to time to get it cooked evenly.

Name:	str03.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	505

Name:	str04.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	506
    Tam Tam Tam : result is like this, but I must admit it never be as soft as I have in Thailand.
    Well, o.k. I can live with it.
    Last edited by peanutbutter; 04-03-07 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks

Re: Sticky rice

Thank you so much for yr cooking presentation, so now i know how i can sustain my life during the time in the States.....
    Oh..dear, I won't die in the U.S. Anyway,......
    Can i eat with grilled turkey?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piyapo
    Thank you so much for yr cooking presentation, so now i know how i can sustain my life during the time in the States.....
    Oh..dear, I won't die in the U.S. Anyway,......
    Can i eat with grilled turkey?
    Hmmmm, I don't think you will starve, especially as it will only be for 3 weeks. Pop your favourite noodles in your bag along with shrimp paste, chille, and curry paste, etc. Pork, chicken and fish are available everywhere along with fresh vegetables and fruit. Thai rice you will find in any of the major supermarkets along with other sundry items such as soy sauce.

Just relax and enjoy the prospect of travel to another country

Thanks

sad Re: Sticky rice

i like kao neaw moo ping - kao naew kai yaang

----healthy recipes--------------------------------------------
    Last edited by rcalaimo; 03-04-07 at 08:58 AM. Reason: link to an outside source without a link back

Thanks

I cook sweet rice a.k.a "sticky rice" all the time...My mom is Thai and you can actually cook your rice in a regular 'ole metal vegetable steamer on top of your stovetop.....You don't have to soak the rice over night...just for a couple of hours...and you don't always have to throw the leftovers away..if you have your bamboo rice container with the lid...just keep it in there and if the rice gets hard...just re-steam what you have leftover....

Thanks

Isn't there a potential health problem re-heating rice? Heard it was not a good thing to do.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Not if you are Thai, they leave all kinds of food all day in the heat and eat it anytime they want to.
    But if I was you I would not try that, they are used to it and the bacteria will not hurt then but would kill you, just like eating the street, sometimes get by with it and a Thai can do it anytime, but until you build up the tolerance to bacteria in your gut, be careful.

Thanks

Quite true. My experience was that for 4 months of the 6 that I was in thailand in 2005, I had a very loose ...stool.... I always kept a 6 pack of no runs please pills. They worked fine, for a few hours. But... I saw Dr's several times about the problem. There responce was that I had a sensitive stomach. I recall the same thing happening on other visits to thailand. I had a better time of it when I boiled the water I drank. Even bottled water. And carefully observed how food was prepared by others. If they did not wash their hands, before preperation of food, then I did not eat what they made. As any one can guess, I limited open market stall eating.. . Bought alot of fruits tho.

Thanks

When I say re-heat the rice...I do not mean that it is bad! My mother, myself and all 3 of my children have eaten 're-heated rice'...it will not kill you! Gosh! I'm talking about re heating the rice the next day not a week later!!! If you guys are full caucasian...then you wouldn't understand anyway....

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

When I was going the webbie a few hours ago, my intention was merely to find out how to clean my sticky rice basket container.

A little history: I bought a sticky rice basket container, one of those small ones with a lid on in a Vientianne market in 2009. At that time, I only knew that it was for containing and transporting khao niao and thought it would be a novelty to hang it at home or at most use to contain rice.

Now, back to the present. While I was searching online, I read a rather vague statement from one of the blogs which sort of implied that the basket container is good for khao niao cos beside the obvious function of transporting and containing sticky rice, it can also be used for steaming and reheating the rice. Now, if this is true, I think I have just become the owner of a multiple-function treasure. For I am currently using an electric steamer with a plastic container to steam my sticky rice - it always has the effect of a top layer of rice which is too dry and the bottom layer too moist (my khao niao loving Thai friend first brought my attention to the wrong texture of my khao niao, for I have never eaten plain khao niao before my first attempt).

However, I cannot find information anywhere to substantiate what I have read in that one blog. So my question is: can the small bamboo-woven sticky rice basket container really double as a steamer over a small pot to steam sticky rice? Secondly, because my basket was bought way back in 2009 and has never been anything more than a decoration in my house, what should I do to make sure it is still safe and hygienic for steaming rice, if that is what it can do, other than the sensibilities of pre-soaking and simple brushing with clean water?

Thanks!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thread Information