PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Chiang Mai air pollution worsens
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Chiang Mai - Chiang Mai Public Health Office is warning residents, especially the elderly and those with respiratory diseases, to avoid prolonged outdoor activities as the air pollution in the city is reaching critical levels.

The Department of Pollution Control showed dust particles, smaller than 10 microns, are rising to a harmful level.

Medics report that the number of people suffering from respiratory diseases in Chiang Mai is rising dramatically, with an increase of 20 per cent expected this year.

The poor air is blamed on the city's location in a basin, which traps pollution, and the common practice of burning rubbish outdoors.

Citylife

via "The Nation"

Thanks

Re: Chiang Mai air pollution worsens

I had all that already figured 5 years ago when I had to leave there due to poor air quality, But there is no place in Thailand that I have found that has real good air quality.
    And as long as there is a govt populated with such as we have always had here it will never get anything but worse as long as laws can be made that satisfy the people and none are ever enforced, with the money still flowing into pockets.
    I had a touch of flu and went to the hospital and was but on a wall oxy nebulizer for awhile and there were 3 children, all under 10 years old that were there for the same thing because of severe asthma.
    There are just a lot of Thai that suffer from that and more every year.
    Just think, It took 7 years to get the Tuk Tuk engines all switched over to use LPG instead of leaded gasoline, where any other country with half the policemen on payroll could have done it in 6 months flat.

Thanks

Maybe all the travel sites should warn off tourists with respiratory problems from visiting Chiang Mai-the loss of money would probably act like a firecracker up a donkey's ---- in getting something done to limit the pollution -which gave me a sore throat for my entire stay in Dec 2004- for example, a park and ride scheme combined with a heavy city driving charge for private vehicles.

Thanks

it is indeed quite horrible now, much worse than last year. I have asthma, and it is not very nice to say the least, but still a LOT better than cold, influenza-ridden air back home, where I spend the entire length of the winter months basically choking, ending up with the inevitable pneumonia.

in the mornings, I see these hordes of resident or tourist, who knows, farangs, jogging around the moat or at the park, now that really makes me wonder what goes on in their minds. not that I have ever been into jogging, but if I took up the habit, I wouldn't take a deep breath with the morning traffic jam straight down my windpipe, I would look for someplace else.....

Thanks

Outdoor fires blamed for Chiang Mai, Lamphun air pollution crisis

Air pollution in Chiang Mai and Lamphun - mainly from outdoor burning - had reached a critical level, Chiang Mai University (CMU) researchers said yesterday.

The large amount of fine particle dust had lead to a rising number of patients with respiratory diseases, lung cancer and allergies, they said. Dean of CMU's Faculty of Science, assistant prof Mongkon Rayanakorn, said air pollution research in the two provinces from 2004 to 2006 found that air quality during the dry seasons was at levels adversely affecting local people's health.

Dust particles of 10 microns and 2.5 microns found at certain times of the day were two times higher than the standard air quality. 10-micron dust levels were 140-277 micrograms per square metre (mpsm), while the 2.5-micron level was 47-67 mpsm. This compared to the standard 120 mpsm and 35 mpsm, respectively.

The findings have raised fears that 10-micron-sized particles could reach a person's respiratory path and larynx, while the 2.5-micron particles could reach the human alveoli and not be exhaled, Mongkon said.

Such fine-particle dust could carry other toxic substances into the body that could be carcinogenic, or cause gene mutation, infections and respiratory diseases, he said.

Associate Professor Dr Pongthep Wiwanthanadech said his separate study on the impact of fine-particle dust on asthmatics in Chiang Mai and Lamphun also found that 10-micron particles carried a severe carcinogen - Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) - that came from burning dried grass and leaves, and cooking fires.

Such fine-particle dust had a direct impact and had triggered more severe attacks in asthmatics and heart disease patients, he said.

The statistics also revealed the number of patients with respiratory diseases was rising every year, while the number lung patients in Chiang Mai had surpassed those in Bangkok, Pongthep said.

He cited a Pollution Control Department report that 40 to 80 per cent of such fine-particle dust came from outdoor fires, while the rest came from diesel-engine vehicle emissions, cooking fires and other sources. Pongthep urged local administrators and related agencies to deal with the problem.

The researchers said that in the short-term, air-pollution controls must be imposed and all outdoor fires banned.

The long-term focus should be on setting air-quality standards in Chiang Mai and Lamphun, launching measures for air-quality control during the dry season and closely watching risk areas, they said.

The Nation

CHIANG MAI

Thanks

When I was in Thailand in 2000 (I think it was), it was very smokey in places I stopped from Bangkok up to Mae Sai. My girlfiend was sick from the smoke.

I thought the smoke was because of 2-stroke engines in Bangkok and all of the little fires all over the place, further north. So, is it worse now all over, or just in Chiang Mai?

Thanks

there is a yellow haze over the city today - yesterday was a little windy and we almost saw Doi Suthep. the suburbs are definitely better, for me it appears like fumes from traffic. dunno. my coughing is usually much worse in Bangkok.

Thanks

Thats pretty good Betti, During the time I lived there we almost saw Doi Suthep a couple of times too, never did clear up enough tho.
    But it is bad down here today, lots of smoke in the air, just barely make out the shape of the mountains thru it, but can see the big white Buda setting on a small hill here in the valley a couple of KM from our house, usually can't see it either.

Thanks

well FiP I know you like to exaggerate, incidentally, the windows of my classroom have a great view over Doi suthep, and the temple and the top are visible 90% of the time, might be misty and cloudy in the morning in the rainy season, but then it clears up. this haze has been on and off in the past 2 months.
    sometimes I have the feeling the situation is "dramatised" for some reason. and that hunch was confirmed by a friend, who is a chemist and they have done some research and stuff at his university.

Thanks

Well I lived down by San Sai and very seldom could I even see the outline of Doi Suthep let alone the top or any part of it, you must be a lot closer than I was if you can distinguish any parts.
    Altho when I lived in town and was a lot closer and it was Jan. or Feb. and into march you could see some of it then, but in march I moved out to San Sai the air was starting to get bad then, and on the way to my house where we turned left off the road that goes on into San Sai they would dump garbage on the shoulder of the road and every few days would burn it, not nice at all.
    Now you can call that "Exaggeration" if you wish, but I know what I saw and why I moved away from a very nice house at terrific rent and moved down here instead of my wife transferring her job up there.

Thread Information