PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Getting married in thailand
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    ayumanic Guest
    Hi everybody! I'm a Filipino and my fiance is Korean. We are getting married this year and we decided to do it outside the Philippines and Korea. The only country we both agreed to is Thailand. We have not been to Thailand and of course, we don't speak your language. We just want to know how do you go about getting married in Thailand the legal way? We would like to know the procedure and how much would it cost us. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    This is what you need to do to be legally married inThailand

1. Go to your embassy and fill out a statutory declaration
    2. Take the statutory declaration to a translation agency and have it translated into Thai
    3. Take both versions to your ministry of foriegn affairs. It will take them about three days to verify it.
    4. Present these forms to any Amphur office in Thailand.
    5. You will be issued with a marriage liscence in Thai
    6 Get this translated
    7 Take translated form to your foreign affairs ministry
    8. Take your marriage certificate to your embassy for registration.

That should be it. If I have left anything out, I'm sure someone will correct me.
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

delawang Guest
    kumusta Ayumanic! I don't know about the legal part, maybe best to talk to someone at home or at your embassy in Bangkok. Jerome points out the complications.

I have stayed at this hotel and it would be a great place to get married.

http://www.marriott.com/epp/default....rshaCode=HKTJW

When I was there last a middle-eastern couple was getting married and had ovver 200 guests.

delawang Guest
    found another one-

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=HHQHIHI

That's Hilton Hua Hun, closer to Bangkok and has a $990 dollar wedding package. The wedding package is not described at their site, you may have to call.

I haven't been to this hotel but after reading their descrpition I would put it on the list.

Thanks
    Delawang, i was surprise that you can speak Filipino! or maybe i dont know that you are a Filipino? are you?

it's my first time to know that two people wanted to get married outside of their country of origins. It's interesting to know anyway!
    If you can't change things the way they are, Change your attitude.

Falcoe Guest
    Hi, can anyone let me know how can a foreigner legally get married with a local Thai in Thailand? What will the cost be, I mean the admin cost? And for me, I would only want it to be legal in Thailand, and not to notify at my motherland country. Please enlighten. Thanks.

Thanks
    Falcoe- Are you aware of Thai laws concerning marriage and property rights? As long as your lady is a Thai citizen and remains unmarried, she can buy land, a house, etc. If she marries a foreigner, and the marriage is registered in Thailand, she cannot buy any more property. The Thai government assumes that the property is being paid for by the foreigner and does not allow it.

IMHO The best thing is to have a ritual ceremony in Thailand for the sake of the family, without officially registering the marriage. You will be considered married by everyone but the government. Then, you can become "legally" married outside of Thailand. As long as she does not change her citizenship, she can still by property in Thailand.

Most Thai ladies miss Thailand very much if they are required to live in their foreign spouse's country. I would expect her to want to return home eventually. If I were you, I would register the marriage in your home country and buy land and build a house in Thailand. Then, when you retire from working, you can register the marriage legally in Thailand without having to worry about having a place to live.
    FFT
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks
    to Visionchaser45
    I was thinking about buying a holiday house in pattaya thailand, but I'm not a thai national and live in australia, so does this mean I cannot buy a property even if I'm single.

Falcoe Guest
    Thanks for your enlightenment, Vision. But my girl said that she needs someone to bring her overseas together as she has not yet reach the independant age in Thailand. So can I, not being legally married in Thailand, bring her over? What should I declare my relationship with her then? And is there age limit for marriage? Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (paul_au @ June 09 2003,21:06)]to Visionchaser45
    I was thinking about buying a holiday house in pattaya thailand, but I'm not a thai national and live in australia, so does this mean I cannot buy a property even if I'm single.
    Unless there has been a recent change to the law, farangs cannot own land or houses in Thailand. The last I heard, it is possible to purchase a condo.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thread Information