PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What should I do if I want to marry a Thai - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112
    Thanks

Re: What should I do if I want to marry a Thai

Personally never heard of the Sin Sod stuff until it came up on this forum,. What happens if the appropriate sin sod is not given or is not thought to be enoughl Does someone go off in the corner and cry? What happens to the "face of it? You've got lots of insight pclv. Just seems to me that this saving face thing is not as important as you've made it seem to be. Seems more like your way or the highway. Farang have this face thing as well as thais. Let both sides grasp that.

Thanks

Personally never heard of the Sin Sod stuff until it came up on this forum.
    Me neither and, boy, you would think it was the be all and end all of Thai culture. Over the years I've been to dozens of weddings, I have watched many friends/family members go from courting to engagement to marraige...and I have never heard of it.

....but sure enough, these forums have dozens of threads on it and every time they try to end a thread or create a sticky or whatever should be the last word on sin sod, then someone comes and asks again.... goodness, such a broken record.

Thanks

Re: What should i do if i want to marry a thai

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKY View Post
    Singapore. In Singapore the Marriageable age is 21 or 18 with parental consent.
    ok, first for this question, the answer is abover 21 or else parental consent is require.
    second i really like to see what is the outcome for the thread-starter as it's been 4 years ago, he should be 23 now..
    lastly, about the sin sod issues, it will keep continue as long as new members joining in and wants to know more about getting married with thai girl. what i heard was that it's depend on family basic. some wants alot, some wants anything and some even don't need it as long as the guy will take care of their children. For me, i will do my best for everything to show my full respect to the family and culture to show my sincere too...

Thanks

Sin Sod is important to many Thai women and their families. If the particular Thai woman becomes important to the Farang, then sin sod will become important to him as well. It is not rocket science; it is about taking care of the people you care about.

You're right David. FiP is farther north than the picture I was carrying. I think that my point still stands though.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Thing is also thais are generally more upfront about money then westerns are.

For example: When me and my wife were at Black Canyon she chatted a bit with the waiter - just exchanging a few lines - and when he left she told me she had asked him about how much he earned and he had answered. It looked very casual like if she asked him about what time it was or something.

Westerners are usually not comfortable with discussing money the same way thais are.

Generally marrige is one of the most important thing in a persons life and for a thai sin sod is part of the marriage no matter what we think.

Cross cultural relationships usually works best if both persons at least can try and overcome the differences.

Thanks

Sved is right on target.

I have been caught with my mouth hung open when questions about money have been brought up. It still makes me feel a little uneasy but I have seen enough to know that it is nothing for the Thais.

By the way; it does not matter if a girl is 18 or 38, she will want to get some kind of parental approval before she gets married. Parents are the key to success and happiness in Thailand. If they feel secure with their daughter's ablility (greater than son's) to care for them in retirement, then everything moves on pretty smoothly.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

well... time for me to save more money to spend my life in thailand and also sin sod too? anyway taking care of the parents seem to be a MUST but depends on personal thinking, for me i am OK with it... 555+

Thanks

after reading from 1st page to now, i realised there are many things to look out for if you are gonna marry a thai wife

Thanks

Getting married is the easy part, staying married is harder

But thats true for all marriages ofc.

Im very often asked about whats its like to be married with a thai but when me and friends compare they are usually surprised to find out its quite similar to their own marriages.

Thanks

Its the same with any marriages, the only difference is you eally have to get along with your in-laws. I did not have that problem but most of the problems as far as Im concerned is his/her family not the person you are marrying.

Good luck!

Thread Information