Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (((haggling)))

Thanks

(((haggling)))

I would like to know your experience of haggling when you buy something in thailand. I guess the people in the markets would already be selling their products quite cheap(well atleast i hope so) and they'd probably be making sweet F.A.

I would assume that you probably can only haggle in the markets and not the shopping centres right?

So how much do you guys normally haggle cos i don't want to be a tight ass but then again i don't want to be ripped off either.

i was reading one of these threads (i'm using this for argument sake) and someone said you can buy a good fake louis vuiton bag for like 4000 baht. how much can we haggle here?? 50%, 20% 10%???

i'll be shopping mainly for t shirts and work clothings and neck ties etc

TIA
    bLy

Thanks

Re: (((haggling)))

Whatever they start at you halve it, and never go higher than 70% of his first ask. In markets is best some department stores will haggle, but why bother, the best stuff for what your after is in Pratunam.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have cut in half their asking price before and they then said "yes". Maybe a little too quickly. So, I usually try at least 70% now! You will find that a lot of these market stalls sell the same thing. So, use the first few as a kind of dry run to get an idea of the price. As you walk away, they will knock the price down. If they don't haggle with you much then you should know that they are confident that they can sell it at that price.

If I find that a street vendor has been honest with me from the start and didn't try and cheat me, then I will tell them to keep the change. I do the same with tuk tuk drivers. If they are honest with me right from the start or don't argue when I ask for a lower price, I then tip them at the end. I don't mind paying more than a Thai person, but I would prefer that it be my decision.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    I have cut in half their asking price before and they then said "yes". Maybe a little too quickly. So, I usually try at least 70% now! You will find that a lot of these market stalls sell the same thing. So, use the first few as a kind of dry run to get an idea of the price. As you walk away, they will knock the price down. If they don't haggle with you much then you should know that they are confident that they can sell it at that price.

If I find that a street vendor has been honest with me from the start and didn't try and cheat me, then I will tell them to keep the change. I do the same with tuk tuk drivers. If they are honest with me right from the start or don't argue when I ask for a lower price, I then tip them at the end. I don't mind paying more than a Thai person, but I would prefer that it be my decision.
    I agree 100% with Richard, if you get treated right you reciprocate.

Thanks

hey thanks fellas.. this sounds fun.. 70% seems quite alot huh? but if everyone else is haggling that much then i'll try it as well.

hey just on the topic of tipping... how much do you guys normally tip??? apart from keeping the change

tia
    bLy

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I try not to tip so much. I prefer just to say "keep the change" if they gave good service. It is up to you. The last thing you should do is give the impression that all foreigners are rich. It will then make it harder for the next person to get a good price. Plus, consider that the minimum wage is 191 baht (about US$5). Many people get that or less. In your home country, would you tip someone the equivalent of a days wage for five minutes service? In most cases, 10-20 baht would be fine. But, outside tourist areas, it won't be expected and you might insult them by trying to pay them. For sure, don't tip street vendors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bLy View Post
    hey just on the topic of tipping... how much do you guys normally tip??? apart from keeping the change

tia
    bLy
    A friend who has lived in Thailand for a long time told me not to tip extravagantly, because the implicit message is you are so rich that Thai money doesn't mean anything to you. A lot of Thai people work very hard for a couple of hundred Baht a day and they would probably be insulted by that sort of money being tossed around casually. So I treat 20-30 Baht as a respectable tip, even though it isn't much in farang money.

Thanks

very helpful.. thanks again..

the last thing i want is to insult someone in their own country especially when you're a guest.

i can't wait to go.. only 5 more months to go.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    Haggling is an art, the way poker is. Keep your cards close to yourself and keep others clueless on what you are up to.

I like Richard's tip:
    "As you walk away they will knock the price down."
    After I bargain and they do not give it at my price, I walk away even if I already find their quotation acceptable. I like to test if they will run after me and accede to my offer. In some cases they do. At other times, I'd linger a while at the next shop until it becomes apparent that no call from them is forthcoming. Then I return quickly and pick up the merchandise.

The other tip I have learned is show disinteredness when you are most interested. Even if you are heels-over-head crazy about an item, feign nonchalance. Ask for the price of your target perfunctorily. While haggling, point out some of its defects or weaknesses, as if talking to yourself, and give the impression that you are ready to walk away--which you will do when they do not give it at your desired price! But needless to say, if they fail to call you to come back, you will on your own.. Hehehe! After all, you might lose sleep if you part with it.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marieke View Post
    Haggling is an art, the way poker is. Keep your cards close to yourself and keep others clueless on what you are up to.
    I have been with people who said out loud "that is cheap" at the first price that is given. How on earth could I haggle after that?

Thread Information