PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
visiting gf's family
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

visiting gf's family

hi i am having some sort of confusion now.

my gf is bringing me back to her home just for a visit. nothing to do with marriage. however, from what she has informed me, its seem to me there is lots and lotsa of person coming over to see who am i and for dinner as well.

i am afraid that i will have to squeeze my wallet dry judging from the amount of people coming over to "see" me . what is wrong actually ? are they trying to get benefits out of me ? or is it some kind of custom ?

i am starting to freak out of the trip.

Thanks

Re: visiting gf's family

People looking '' and your wallet is getting lighter. Well guy, enjoy the time with them while you still have a few baht left.

Thanks

Just sit back, relax and keep the beer flowing

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is a difficult one for foreigners to accept and understand. If you haven't read it already, I would suggest you buy the excellent book Thailand Fever. It is in both Thai and English and so you should buy your girlfriend a copy too. It explains to her clearly some of your fears.

There isn't much you can do about this problem. You just have to accept it or go elsewhere. Your girlfriend and her family will gain much respect from the local community if they show people how generous they are (via your wallet). They are not trying to scam you. It is the way things are done here. However, for your own sake, make sure you set limits early on in your relationship. Don't spend beyond your means. They will expect you to keep it up.

Like peterg said, go and buy a case of beer at the local supermarket. But, don't go over the top. Itis not a wedding party. By the sounds of things, her family want to show off their daughters new boyfriend. Let them have their moment of joy.

Thanks

The book, Thailand Fever was first published several years ago. I bought a copy in 05. Very good insight into thai farang relationships. Another good book is retiring in thailand. Excellent insight about retirement visa's and other types of visa's (recent visa changes are not discussed.) Good reading the stories of expat's quite happy living in thailand.

Thanks

Depending on where she's from, it shouldn't cost you all that much. I never buy whiskey, but the beer, sodas, tea, and food are on me. I buy only beer Chang or Leo by the case. We visit the local market (talart) the day of the party and stock up on food. It is very inexpensive (i.e., 20 baht for this an 30 for that). The most expensive is the meats, so you could always go easy in that department. Maybey just get a mess of fish to BBQ. Chicken is also not too expensive. I think the tab usually runs me about 6,00 to 10,000 baht. I just plan for it and enjoy the eating, drinking, and dancing. If I spent my time getting all worked up worrying about stuff, I would have missed out on some of the best times I have ever had. Just remember one word...sanuk.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

True, But Lao whiskey is cheaper, for the cost a one beer you can get 3 of them smeared with the cheap homemade white whiskey and they love it, fun as hell to watch a bunch of em on that stuff, Puke, fall down, fight, maybe shoot each other, hell of a deal., not expensive at all, I bought 5 cases of it for my FIL funeral and some stayed falling down drunk for the whole time.
    Gots to be careful tho, month or so ago there was a few partys goin on here and one night at one of em a guy shot and killed 2 young fellas with a pistol for some imagined slight, so sometimes they get a little screwey.
    Be Careful and always have FUN..

Thanks

I don't understand why should he be buying the whole village beer for just visiting the girlfriend's family?

Just buy a bottle of black label Johnny Label at the Duty Free before you board the plane.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKY View Post
    I don't understand why should he be buying the whole village beer for just visiting the girlfriend's family?

Just buy a bottle of black label Johnny Label at the Duty Free before you board the plane.

one bottle of black label Johnny Walker = buying the whole village beer

Thanks

Whats worng with what they are used to drinking?
    If you bring a bottle of Black label then you have set the standard for future visits.

Thread Information