PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Myanmar / Thailand
    Thanks

Myanmar / Thailand

recently i talk to someone from myammar, vividly from what they say some of it sounds like thai, while some of it dont. their tone or tune i should say is also abit different , am i listening to some special thai, or is it burmames i am listening to ?

-----------------

my friend told me, no people from other country is allowed to live in the house of a burmese , not even thais, not even a close boyfriend from another country, is it true ?

tts all folk.

Thanks

Re: Myammar / Thailand

Burmese and Thai language is totally different. Not sure what you were listening to!!

As for the second part maybe it's true in Burma but I had a Burmese friend andhe didn't care who lived where.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javanoob View Post
    recently i talk to someone from myammar, vividly from what they say some of it sounds like thai, while some of it dont. their tone or tune i should say is also abit different , am i listening to some special thai, or is it burmames i am listening to ?

This is right, I worked with sme Burmese Engineers for a couple of years and there pitch is sometimes similar to Thai, and there are similar words/phrases. They are generally lower pitched more than not. But I'm 90% deaf so don't bank on this point.
    If you look at sanskrit/Burmese/Thai alphabets there are some simularities as well.
    -----------------

my friend told me, no people from other country is allowed to live in the house of a burmese , not even thais, not even a close boyfriend from another country, is it true ?

To some extent yes, my Burmese friend say I can never go to Myanmar to stay, but I think they were more worried about their daughters than any cultural thing.
    tts all folk.
    Last edited by RobinVirant; 13-04-07 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Seperate quotes

Thanks

Thai is part of the Tai family of languages which includes Lao and Shan. Burmese is in the Tibeto-Burman language group, so any similarity you hear is only superficial, tone, rythm, etc. There are probably some word borrowings too since people have been traveling back and forth between Burma and Thailand for centuries.
    As for not staying in a Burmese person's house, that is probably more to do with the government. They are not allowed to interact with any foreigners unless it is for "official" business, such as running a tourist service. You could get them in trouble if you try to stay at a Burmese person's house.

Thanks

ic thanks alot for the clarification peeps!

Thread Information